MSP Airport / Metropolitan Airports Commission

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: MSP Airport

Postby mattaudio » July 17th, 2013, 11:22 am

Not any commercial service. Most GA, corporate, etc. is already elsewhere. This isn't ideal due to noise. Is that your primary concern for asking?

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » July 17th, 2013, 9:37 pm

To relieve pressure on MSP-
Some flights go to other airports!

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » July 18th, 2013, 10:10 am

In reply to UptownSport, Holman Field with its 6491 feet runway could technically handle a lot of 737/A-319/A320/757 flights departing to the lower-48 and nearby Canadian destinations. They could land, they could take-off etc. Boeing business jets use Holman for similar missions, so definitely possible.

Would this be operationally or economically feasible on a large scale? No.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » July 18th, 2013, 10:21 am

assume there must be some reason why it's not being done, but why?
Are the fields too close for safety?

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 18th, 2013, 10:41 am

They are *super* close in aviation terms - Holman is well inside MSP's control zone for takeoff and landing (don't know the technical term, sorry). I don't know for sure, but I suspect that any flight in or out of there would have to be slotted into the landing schedules and patterns for MSP anyway, with the added complications that the actual vectors are different and the controllers can't see the field so a landing there might actually *reduce* capacity at MSP. That's speculation on my part but the next time you're at MSP look at the floor mural over in the C concourse that shows the actual flight control maps for MSP - you can see that Holman is right in the middle of it.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » July 18th, 2013, 10:45 am

:shock:

Yes, sir- seems like a long ways in our POV's, but when you're ripping along at triple digits it's a eye blink.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 18th, 2013, 10:51 am

I'm guessing it would be a pain to operate the passenger side out of those fields as well. They were never really built with major passenger loads in mind, and Humphrey terminal is crappy enough as is and I hate flying out of there, if I had to choose some other regional airport for my budget flights I'd say screw and pay more for Delta.

And everything in the same airline has to be in the same airport for connections, so you'd just get some super cheapskates like Spirit over there.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 18th, 2013, 10:55 am

Here's a little more information about Holman Field (STP airport):
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSTP
Looks like it *does* have its own control tower, but it's subsidiary to MSP, and isn't always staffed. When it's not staffed, MSP controls the runways at STP.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » July 18th, 2013, 11:28 am

Sure-
If there *were* a carrier, Cheapskate or no, that could use Holman (or others, SSP, Flying Cloud) it'd relieve pressure-
Transit is simple enough between airports, and certainly as EZ as youget to downtown (and central rail, so downtownS)
But, as you said, they're so close it's essentially the same airspace whether you can land, can move on/off passengers, or can get to transit/airport circulator is all moot.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » July 18th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Are there capacity issues at MSP? This is the first I've heard of that, if so.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 18th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Humphrey terminal is crappy enough as is and I hate flying out of there
I've never heard this sentiment before. I'm curious why you hate it?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 18th, 2013, 11:08 pm

It's a bit better now but there's no food. It's also a bit more of a trek from the light rail station.

But it's the budget terminal so I quite literally get what I pay for.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

web

Postby web » July 18th, 2013, 11:30 pm

yes the one time I ate at terminal 2 , meant food poisoning.....old microwaved hamburger.......(in 2010)

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 19th, 2013, 7:19 am

Didn't they just open like 3 new places to eat at Terminal 2? Personally, I like flying out of that terminal, because it is much less crowded/busy. You can breeze on in.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 19th, 2013, 9:05 am

Seriously, Humphrey is awesome. I prefer flying out of Humphrey - shorter lines everywhere, and as of this year there's great food options - several new places opened this year. Cocina del Barrio is really a great restaurant and not unreasonably priced. A few years ago, not so much, but now the options are good. It's changed a lot in the last year or two.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » July 19th, 2013, 9:32 am

Seriously, Humphrey is awesome. I prefer flying out of Humphrey - shorter lines everywhere, and as of this year there's great food options - several new places opened this year. Cocina del Barrio is really a great restaurant and not unreasonably priced. A few years ago, not so much, but now the options are good. It's changed a lot in the last year or two.
I wholeheartedly agree. The only thing I don't like about Humphrey is that getting to/from the LRT is a hike. Otherwise, it's just so much easier to use that terminal -- shorter lines, less distance from security to the gates, etc. As for restaurants, I never eat in airports if I can help it anyway.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 19th, 2013, 9:41 am

I wholeheartedly agree. The only thing I don't like about Humphrey is that getting to/from the LRT is a hike.
Getting to Lindbergh is just as much if not more of a hike but it's all enclosed so it feels less burdensome.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 19th, 2013, 10:05 am

It's a bit better now but there's no food. It's also a bit more of a trek from the light rail station.

But it's the budget terminal so I quite literally get what I pay for.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
It is a bit of a trek from the LRT station at the main terminal to yout gate or checking at main terminal. You just aren't aware of it as you are walking in an underground tunnel. I'd venture to say that the walk at Humphrey is shorter than that of the main terminal to your gate.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » July 19th, 2013, 10:17 am

I always used to get longer lines at Humphrey, but I don't fly much any more since I learned that it's absolutely the worst thing you can do to our atmosphere and anything that lives in it.
"Who rescued whom!"

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 19th, 2013, 10:20 am

The trek is nicer at Humphrey. Also last time I actually made the trek they were doing construction so you had to walk through the parking ramp. And on the way back I was wearing a nice pair of dress shoes that I hadn't broken in yet, so my experience was especially bad.

I'd rather be at Humphrey though. Even though I know airport food is overpriced, I'd rather have all the options that are there. But again, part of the reason Spirit and Frontier are so cheap is that they fly out of the cheaper terminal, so I can vote with my wallet, and I usually vote Lindbergh.