Northern Lights Express

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Re: Northern Lights Express

Postby Trademark » April 10th, 2021, 1:14 pm

Any idea why an Andover station wasnt considered?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 12th, 2021, 10:05 am

Presumably because they're trying to keep the number of stops to a minimum for overall trip timing, and because Andover would be quite close to the Coon Rapids / Foley Blvd stop.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 24th, 2021, 10:12 am

I think Andover is probably skipped because there had been thoughts it would have been included in the "Bethel Corridor" commuter line that was studied back in the late '90s/early 2000s (despite the name, it could have gone as far north as Cambridge), where it was being looked at alongside Northstar, Red Rock, the Rush Line, and others. Of course, since the American concept of commuter rail is completely broken, I think the Bethel line was only considered for about 3 or 4 round-trips per day, solely operating in the peak flow direction into/out of downtown.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » April 24th, 2021, 11:25 am

The 865 bus stopped in Ham Lake and Bethel when it started about a decade ago, I believe as a precursor to rail - similar to the Ramsey (856) and Elk River (888) Northstar buses. It got really low ridership and was discontinued maybe a year or two after it started.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 24th, 2021, 5:51 pm

When I worked at Metro Transit I found a study of a Northstar "extension" to Bethel that I believe would use the existing rolling stock. I assume it was intended to be a branch line of the Northstar with a few peak hour in peak direction trips between Bethel and Target Field Station.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 30th, 2021, 6:49 pm

Some interesting stuff from the Superior mayor, including this on NLX:
The long-planned passenger train linking the Twin Cities and Duluth includes a stop in Superior, and Paine said he will lobby Congress this summer to make ensure the service gets the money it needs.

He also wants City Council to pay for "a unique and beautiful depot to receive guests into our downtown."
https://m.startribune.com/superior-mayo ... 600062273/

StandishGuy
Nicollet Mall

Postby StandishGuy » July 17th, 2021, 4:58 pm

Anyone have a sense of Congressional support for this line? Is it accurate to assume that Rep Pete Stauber is opposed because he is a Republican? There would be a Congressperson representing NW Wisconsin, as well as Tom Emmer, Ilhan Omar, and two Democratic Senators (Smith & Kobuchar). This is my favorite MN transit project and I very much hope it goes forward soon- especially if an infrastructure bill goes through. Yet, it was years in the making to pry $10 million for the 2nd train to Chicago out of the MN Legislature, so it doesn't seem likely they will help fund this anytime soon, right?

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » July 17th, 2021, 5:39 pm

It was on amtracks 2035 plain and they have been making a few noises about it for years although I don't know how many people still support/oppose it or how many people it needs to finally get out of the "shovel ready" status.

Side note I do recall a transportation engineer and someone who used to post on the site being against it, but I'm blanking on his name atm.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » November 9th, 2021, 10:41 am

Considering NLX is shovel ready, what are the chances Amtrak dedicates some of the funding they received from the infrastructure bill toward it and construction finally begins?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 9th, 2021, 11:13 am

Considering NLX is shovel ready, what are the chances Amtrak dedicates some of the funding they received from the infrastructure bill toward it and construction finally begins?
Just an FYI, the passed legislation is different than past recovery legislation:
"Unlike previous federal programs that required projects to be “shovel ready,” the new funding package is a long-term plan for projects at various stages of readiness, Donahoe said."
https://finance-commerce.com/2021/11/mi ... ive-years/
*UNLOCKED*

Not that that makes a huge difference in this conversation, but wanted to make sure everyone understands the money will be used to work on more than shovel ready projects.

eazydp
Metrodome

Postby eazydp » November 27th, 2021, 9:07 am

Does it mean we can contact our local/state/us politicians to use encourage them to apply the funds to NLX?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 2nd, 2021, 9:45 am

Now that Viking River Cruises is in St. Paul and another unit is bringing a Great Lakes cruise ship to Duluth....
Imagine they offered some sort of "Great American Interior" adventure from Toronto to St. Louis or New Orleans.
Land portage provided by Northern Lights Express - they'd want to tag those trains to St. Paul Union Depot.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 2nd, 2021, 10:00 am

Now that Viking River Cruises is in St. Paul and another unit is bringing a Great Lakes cruise ship to Duluth....
Imagine they offered some sort of "Great American Interior" adventure from Toronto to St. Louis or New Orleans.
Land portage provided by Northern Lights Express - they'd want to tag those trains to St. Paul Union Depot.
Seems like wishful thinking that NLX would somehow be part of a decision like that. A nice coach bus would do just fine between MSP and Duluth. Or they could just fly folks to Duluth even.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » December 2nd, 2021, 1:06 pm

Maybe the friends of the 261 could do excursion trains on the route. I know they've done it in the past but I don't know if it will be easier or harder with the NLX infrastructure in place.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » December 2nd, 2021, 10:36 pm

Maybe the friends of the 261 could do excursion trains on the route. I know they've done it in the past but I don't know if it will be easier or harder with the NLX infrastructure in place.
Plus convincing BNSF to let them run from St Paul to Duluth might be a challenge.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » December 6th, 2021, 11:19 am

Seems like wishful thinking that NLX would somehow be part of a decision like that. A nice coach bus would do just fine between MSP and Duluth. Or they could just fly folks to Duluth even.
Downtown St. Paul airport to Duluth would be nice travel option if they ever build a streetcar or at least BRT line connecting the Duluth airport to downtown and the port piers.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » January 12th, 2022, 11:16 pm

For anyone interested, here's a survey about NLX: https://www.research.net/r/NLXOnline

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » January 13th, 2022, 11:52 am

The survey calls the NLX a 'commuter rail.'

Is that really accurate? Will there be more than a couple daily trips between Hinckley and the Cities?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » January 13th, 2022, 1:53 pm

4 roundtrips are proposed between Duluth and Minneapolis, all of them stopping at every station in between. It's a stretch to call it commuter rail, but I suppose one could call it that. Of course intercity rail is the more correct term since it will connect two major cities that are 150 miles from each other and the service will be operated by Amtrak.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » January 16th, 2022, 10:59 am

Operated by Amtrak.. does that mean no fancy colorful NLX train wrap? ..I liked the old NLX designs but I kinda like the idea of packaging it under the Northstar kinda like we have the METRO we could have

Northstar to St. Cloud, Northstar to Duluth, Northstar to Rochester, Northstar to Mankato, and even Northstar to Chicago! Our entire state connected rail network could be branded Northstar 😀

…just need a more badass wrap like a ice dragon flames from the game of thrones or something… you know to make sure it screams were cool!