Bike Share

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
schwinnletour
Metrodome

Re: Bike Share

Postby schwinnletour » July 30th, 2019, 7:53 am

I think the E-Bikes will also have the benefit of new people trying the dedicated bicycle infrastructure out for the first time. This will increase support for the existing and future new bike lanes. This will be great for bicycling in Minneapolis where currently there is strong opposition to adding new bike infrastructure.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » July 30th, 2019, 8:24 am

You know I wonder assuming all of them where dockless, how far out some the e-bikes will end up at end of each day, given how I've seen several different brands/types around hopkins and only one of which has a hub nearby.
The ebikes are not docless. I spoke to NiceRide this sping. Their plan is to replace all the doced bikes with ebikes leaving the regular bikes as the docless ones.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 30th, 2019, 8:47 am

You know I wonder assuming all of them where dockless, how far out some the e-bikes will end up at end of each day, given how I've seen several different brands/types around hopkins and only one of which has a hub nearby.
The ebikes are not dockless.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » July 30th, 2019, 9:37 am

I assumed the ebikes where gonna be docked given they might cost a little to much to just left standing free, was just putting out a hopthetical question if we ever do get dockless ebikes.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 30th, 2019, 10:03 am

I loved the dockless Lime ebikes in Seattle. Super convenient.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 30th, 2019, 11:50 am

When I was in Copenhagen I preferred the ebikes that weren’t docked. It was sometimes a struggle getting them out of the dock.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 30th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Not sure if that's an option in Copenhagen anymore... Unless I rode one without noticing.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 30th, 2019, 3:10 pm

This was a year ago and a couple times I took a bike that wasn’t attached to a dock. You could leave it at a designated spot that didn’t have a dock but I don’t remember if you got charged extra.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » August 8th, 2019, 7:53 am

An aging population would be more inclined to bike (and not join the merry "why am I paying for this I can't use it" chorus) if they're able to travel further distances without added bodily strain.
Isn’t that what transit is for?

Bikes are for 0.5-5 miles, more or less. Anything longer and you might as well take transit.

No transit? Advocate for transit, rather than for e-bikes.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » August 8th, 2019, 1:42 pm

An aging population would be more inclined to bike (and not join the merry "why am I paying for this I can't use it" chorus) if they're able to travel further distances without added bodily strain.
Isn’t that what transit is for?

Bikes are for 0.5-5 miles, more or less. Anything longer and you might as well take transit.

No transit? Advocate for transit, rather than for e-bikes.
We should always be advocating for more transit, yes. However, these systems remain complementary. There is a segment of the population that does not bike anymore because they aren't comfortable with the strain of going up hills. E-bikes will expand the group of final-mile riders that bike share serves. Look how popular e-bikes are on the private market. Anecdotally, people riding them are mostly in the 50+ age group. Nice Ride e-bikes provide this option for people that can't afford the $1000+ investment for an e-bike.

Broadly speaking, these micro-mobility tools are about as big of a weapon we can get for better street design. All the people riding scooters on sidewalks are nearly entirely a symptom of poor street design. The more people we get using these forms of transportation, the sooner the voices will grow loud enough for the City/COUNTY/State to respond.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 8th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Anecdotally, people riding them are mostly in the 50+ age group.
In particular women, in my non-scientific observation.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » August 8th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Anecdotally, people riding them are mostly in the 50+ age group.
In particular women, in my non-scientific observation.
Hmm, I tend to see older commuting men. That's why it's anecdotal!

Would be interesting to see the sales stats.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 3rd, 2019, 9:06 am

I don't know what is going on with the Nice Ride Bikes in my neighborhood. I think through the Nice Ride for All program people are getting discounted access, but suddenly the neighborhood kids are biking around the neighborhood with them and leaving them in front of their homes and etc. Basically, suddenly the Northside has seen drastic increase in use, but the bikes aren't being returned. Personally, the bikes are being used and that's why they exist..but I wonder if some parent is going to get charged and if Nice Ride doesn't know what to do completely. The scooters are also hugely successful. A free bike share program might be a good idea, especially for kids.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 3rd, 2019, 9:47 am

I've seen a lot of green Nice Rides left around St. Paul this year. I wonder if the dockless system has conditioned people to forget to dock them?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 3rd, 2019, 9:59 am

I've seen a lot of green Nice Rides left around St. Paul this year. I wonder if the dockless system has conditioned people to forget to dock them?
I think this is true, along with general confusion.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 3rd, 2019, 10:19 am

I've been surprised by the number of dockless blue bikes are left out of their hub. Are that many people really paying the $5 out-of-hub fee!?

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » September 3rd, 2019, 10:26 am

I've been surprised by the number of dockless blue bikes are left out of their hub. Are that many people really paying the $5 out-of-hub fee!?
They aren't charging people.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 3rd, 2019, 10:27 am

Well that would certainly explain it.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 3rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

Is this a change in policies? Or an unofficial guess?

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » September 3rd, 2019, 12:19 pm

Is this a change in policies? Or an unofficial guess?
I don't know for sure but it probably has to do with the slow roll out of the hubs. The hub that is supposed to be closest to my house still isn't there. There usually are dockless bikes there anyway.