Bike Share

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Bike Share

Postby Tyler » July 13th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Car2Go's were just where people left them though, right? Bird is literally placing these scooters where they want them every night. At least that's my understanding. I'm sure they'll adjust things.
Towns!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 13th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Car2Go's would get re-positioned somo too, though (I'd see little convoys of them being moved around).

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » July 13th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Yeah, Bird has people out collecting these every night and returning them to "nests" which currently seem to be only in/near downtown Minneapolis.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 13th, 2018, 3:06 pm

I was thinking that the placement of them was kind of weird as well. I’m surprise that you’re not seeing more of them in uptown. I’m curious to know how many people have taken rides on them in the last couple of days. I wish the ride count was public data.

I’m interested to see what the city regulations will be. I would hope that any fee that is collected from the companies would be used to build and upgrade transit ways/bike lanes/bike racks. I am hoping that if they do end up charging each company a fee, it doesn’t just get put into some general transportation fund only for automobile related infrastructure costs.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » July 13th, 2018, 3:10 pm

I've seen a lot of people riding them on Nicollet in downtown. And I just saw one go by my place near Lake Calhoun. So they're spreading.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 13th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Anyone have a rough idea of how many scooters bird has placed in downtown Minneapolis? From looking over the map the last couple of days I would guess around 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 13th, 2018, 3:14 pm

I’m surprised they’re not making nests of them near the light rail stations. Yesterday I saw one on the map near Lake Street station and another near 38th St. station, but no real collections of them.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 13th, 2018, 6:24 pm

How does the collection of the scooters work? I read somewhere that they start picking them up around 9 PM at night, but I have noticed lately that by about six or seven at night there are very few scooters on the map. It could be that people are using them all, but I don’t think so. Here’s a screenshot from my phone. In the picture there’s only one scooter available in Minneapolis.

Edit: for some reason it wouldn’t let me upload the photo, but trust me there was a photo.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » July 13th, 2018, 7:44 pm

You can sign up to be a "charger". Essentially, they pay you to collect them at night and you plug them in to charge over night. In the morning you set them outside for people to use.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » July 14th, 2018, 7:02 am

You can sign up to be a "charger". Essentially, they pay you to collect them at night and you plug them in to charge over night. In the morning you set them outside for people to use.
I've wondered about the financial aspect of this I see 3 things you should be paid for. 1, you have to drive around and collect them (mileage). 2, use your electricity. 3, time. Will this be like Uber/Lyft where you really aren't making much once all the factors are considered?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 14th, 2018, 9:27 am

As far as the electricity costs go, looks like they've got a 355Wh battery, so a full charge would cost just under 4 cents for an Xcel - Minnesota customer. The payment is $5 per Bird, so if you can find a dozen or so pretty quickly, it's probably worthwhile. Looks like that's not necessarily easy, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 14th, 2018, 9:50 am

Mods: Do you think we should split this topic off into its own thread for scooter sharing?

I noticed this morning that there were no scooters in downtown St. Paul anymore. No scooters in St. Paul at all actually.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 14th, 2018, 4:13 pm

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 16th, 2018, 9:29 am

I noticed this morning that there were no scooters in downtown St. Paul anymore. No scooters in St. Paul at all actually.
They aren't on the map, but there are definitely still scooters in St. Paul. All last week, I saw them in their "nests" every morning, and saw a group of women on Friday riding some around downtown.

I didn't see any this morning, but it could be that Bird is moving nests around so that the city can't crack down on them.

EDIT: I see there's a scooter sharing thread now. Oops.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 25th, 2018, 6:09 am

Has anyone seen people using the lime bikes in Edina? I look at the map pretty frequently, and from what I can see it looks like many of the bikes are parked in the same locations Throughout the day.

I have noticed that some of the green bikes have made their way into Minneapolis. This morning I saw one on the map in north east and another near the midtown Greenway.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » July 25th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Edina’s city manager took one for a ride.

https://twitter.com/edinacityman/status ... 49824?s=21

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 1st, 2018, 12:07 pm

I was searching to see if there was a topic for just nice ride related discussion, but according to the Tapatalk app there isn’t.

My comment/question is related in particular to the nice ride bikes that will be deployed at the end of August or September, I have seen conflicting reports about the actual deployment time.

From what I can gather, it appears that there will be “virtual stations”. The stations will not be totally virtual, as they will have pavement markings and possibly bike racks.

My question is how this will work in the Dockless scheme. The idea of the virtual stations is great, but I feel like if you don’t have one on every block, or even two on the north-south blocks which are longer, it won’t be effective. I thought the whole idea with the Dockless Bike share scheme was that you could park a bike anywhere.

What happens if people don’t park the bikes at the virtual stations, but the bikes are not blocking any pedestrian or vehicular movements?

Personally, I think Minneapolis should have went with lime bike. I know that nice ride is a locally owned nonprofit or something, but I think having a connected system to Saint Paul, Edina, Golden Valley, would have been a better idea. Just mile pinion sale. I am definitely open to hearing opposing views.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » August 1st, 2018, 12:10 pm

I hope they just shift to an open licensure system so that multiple companies can operate and compete for riders

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 1st, 2018, 12:17 pm

Minneapolis has an exclusive contract with Nice Ride through Aug 1, 2021, as I read it. Though I am not a contract lawyer, or even someone who knows anything about it.

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/Download ... %20RCA.pdf

Some noteworthy pieces from the agreement:
  • Makes NRMN the City’s exclusive provider of bike share operations for the duration of
    the Grant Funded Agreement.
  • Provides that NRMN will continue to manage and provide the sole bicycle share system
    within the City, including both docked and dockless operations.
  • Requires the City to undertake reasonable measures to enforce against unauthorized
    (illegal) bike sharing operations.
  • Allows the City to terminate the License Agreement, with or without cause, for public
    good reasons.
  • Allows NRMN to subcontract its dockless bicycle sharing operations to a third party,
    while still maintaining ultimate responsibility for compliance with all license agreement
    terms.
  • Allows NRMN to eventually phase out its current docked bicycle sharing operations in a
    manner that is consistent with City objectives and public purposes.
  • Requires dockless bicycles to be self-locking, and parked within defined virtual stations
    when not in use.
That last one seems to imply that Nice Ride couldn't do a true dockless program within the current agreement.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » August 1st, 2018, 12:32 pm

IIRC that in Seattle bonus points/credits are given if bikes are parked in the "virtual stations".