Rochester

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Rochester

Postby FISHMANPET » May 18th, 2015, 1:03 pm

I vaguely remember it being a Carson Pirie Scott, and Wikipedia confirms that it was until 2002 when it closed and a Herberger's opened in the Apache Mall.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 18th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Miracle Mile was one of the most frequent destinations for my family when I was growing up. I vaguely remember Donaldson's, but yes it was definitely succeeded by Carson Pirie Scott. I was always amused by the "Mini-Mall" section within the strip mall -- a mall within a mall. My brother and I spent countless hours in Moon's Hobby Shop looking at model trains and other stuff. My mom had a fabric store to go to. Dad always stopped in the Hardware Hank. There was at least one drug store (Osco maybe?).

There was a Waldenbooks for a while, and a number of other random places of interest popped in and out of existence over the years. I think there might have been a Red Owl back when I was really young, but I may be confusing it with the one that had been at the River Center strip mall up on North Broadway.

There's plenty that isn't great about the site (it is a strip mall, after all), but I always appreciated the covered walkway in front and the signs that hung from it at each store entrance.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 18th, 2015, 3:23 pm

There used to be a Coffee & Tea limited that my parents would always go to, and if we were there my mom and I would end up at the House of the Crafty Mouse. Now there's a Chinese buffet my parents like. I don't think a Chinese buffet is ever the sign of a mall on the upswing though.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 18th, 2015, 10:55 pm

Never even knew about this Miracle Mile. Was it built by the same outfit that did Miracle Mile in St Louis Park? Looks very similar and the SLP version also had the hanging signs in the covered walkway.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 19th, 2015, 7:43 am

Did anyone ever post the update that apparently a Whole Foods is going in to Miracle Mile? It was "rumored" in the Post-Bulletin.
Apparently Miracle Mile sold for $10 million recently. Seems like a steal for that much land so close to DT.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » May 19th, 2015, 8:11 am

Yup. I posted it. I'm still puzzling how they'll turn that into a Whole Foods. Plenty of parking, though. :)

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 19th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldnt the addition of a Whole Foods mean the new owner is going to do a renovation? I dont see a Whole Foods moving into a complex like the current Miracle Mile's condition.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » May 20th, 2015, 7:40 am

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 20th, 2015, 8:31 pm

Did anyone know about this Snow Kreilich project along the river? 29 units and 3 stories in the Mayo Park neighborhood. Apparently it was 4 stories but neighbors were concerned about height.

http://www.espna.us/2015/05/the-lofts-at-mayo-park/

http://snowkreilich.com/the-lofts-at-mayo-park

steve0257
Block E

Postby steve0257 » May 21st, 2015, 5:48 am

"The parking lot isn't big enough. I don't see how they could build it without tearing down half of (the shopping center)," Grimes said.

He seems to be operating on the idea that there would be a whole new building built for the grocery. There isn't enough parking if you build an entire new building, but there is plenty of vacant space in the existing mall. That would probably require relocating a couple of current tenants to a different spot in the mall.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » May 29th, 2015, 7:05 am

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » June 4th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Rumor:

IBM may soon begin leasing some of its EXPANSIVE parking lots to Mayo to serve as park and ride lots. Makes a lot of sense, considering buses already serve the site and the parking lot could eat up thousands of cars more than it currently does.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 4th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Idea:
Rochester needs a LRT spine from 55th St NW to South Broadway via IBM, Valleyhigh, and downtown.

But regarding this P&R: Mayo is REALLY screwy when it comes to providing parking and transit to its employees. You gotta wonder how much better their healthcare could be if they were out of the car storage business. It's not their core competency. And they contract their own transit buses to their own P&Rs, in addition to city buses to city P&Rs, in addition to Rochester City Line buses to RCL P&Rs. What a backwards system.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 4th, 2015, 4:29 pm

But it is one of the many things that Mayo does for their employees that help make them one of the best employers. It is honestly amazing what they do for their employees. Mayo doesn't always pay the best, but one of the reasons they attract top talent is because they take care of their employees.

steve0257
Block E

Postby steve0257 » June 5th, 2015, 5:02 am

Not rumor. http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 76bfc.html

Wal Mart was not going to renew their park and ride contracts so the city had to find new spots for them.
Rumor:

IBM may soon begin leasing some of its EXPANSIVE parking lots to Mayo to serve as park and ride lots. Makes a lot of sense, considering buses already serve the site and the parking lot could eat up thousands of cars more than it currently does.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 5th, 2015, 6:23 am

Which is a terrible move for Wal-mart, and great for Target. I know a lot of people who put up with the crappiness of Walmart and shop there because of the convenience with the park and ride. Now it will be right by the Target. Win win for everyone!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 5th, 2015, 8:18 am

Ugh, just as they completed bridge widening and increased capacity at the 55th St NW interchange (in addition to adding ramps for a 65th St NW interchange).

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 5th, 2015, 11:19 am

But regarding this P&R: Mayo is REALLY screwy when it comes to providing parking and transit to its employees. You gotta wonder how much better their healthcare could be if they were out of the car storage business. It's not their core competency. And they contract their own transit buses to their own P&Rs, in addition to city buses to city P&Rs, in addition to Rochester City Line buses to RCL P&Rs. What a backwards system.
What's the relation between "better healthcare" and being in the "car storage business"?

It's a perk they offer. You might as well say, "You gotta wonder how much better their healthcare could be if they got out of the paid time off business.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 5th, 2015, 12:52 pm

No, I might as well not. Since Paid Time Off is not rivalrous, thus it is not a private good.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 10th, 2015, 9:01 am

So? That has nothing to do with Mayo's ability to run a "car storage business." Flipping to a new argument as your rebuttal isn't valid.

You made an argument that someone Mayo's healthcare could be better if they weren't in the car storage business. Prove it. What's your evidence here?

But hey, storing cars is evil, right? So that's enough of an argument, I'm sure.

(And for what it's worth: Paid time off is rivalrous. It cannot be enjoyed by everyone at Mayo at the same time and you could certainly lose access to it because too many other people in your department block out the times you were available to take time off.)