Bemidji

John21
Rice Park

Bemidji

Postby John21 » July 25th, 2014, 12:23 pm

JPC recommends University Heights project approval
The first construction phase consists of a four-story, 396 by 82 foot-building on Bemidji Avenue with commercial space for six businesses on the ground floor and 42 total apartments on the three floors above. Construction on Phase I is planned to begin in April 2015 and finish by April 2016.
This is on the site of the old high school, across Bemidji Avenue from BSU.

http://www.jpbgba.org/vertical/sites/%7 ... item_2.pdf

John21
Rice Park

Re: Bemidji

Postby John21 » December 3rd, 2014, 5:31 pm

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » January 23rd, 2015, 2:52 pm

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » July 17th, 2016, 11:14 am

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » October 28th, 2017, 12:14 pm

A new place to call home: Park Place Apartments officially opens during Friday ceremony
The complex, managed by the Duluth-based Center City Housing Corp., includes 60 units, with 40 dedicated to single-room occupancy for those with chronic substance abuse problems and 20 efficiency apartments for the recently homeless. The goal of the development is to give safe housing to those individuals while facilitating their needs through off-premise services such as addiction treatment and mental health care.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » March 28th, 2018, 6:53 am

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 28th, 2018, 10:26 am

Oooooof, do they really want to be working with St. Paul Port Authority? We know where that leads - an exurban-style warehouse park.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » April 2nd, 2018, 1:15 pm

hpan3
Block E

Postby hpan3 » January 26th, 2019, 9:38 pm

Hi everyone! I recently moved to Bemidji for AmeriCorps and am wondering if anyone wants to get together at some point? Perhaps after the freeze is over, yes?

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 8th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Busy road to get busier: Bemidji's busiest corridor scheduled for improvements the next 5 to 8 years
By updating the infrastructure, officials are also hoping to make the highway stretch safer, especially considering the anticipated growth. According to data from MnDOT, the corridor has been listed as a critical crash location, with 180 collisions happening from 2011-2015.

Many of the collisions are because of the high amount of access points dotted along the corridor. In total, the stretch of highway has 64 access points where drivers can turn onto the road.

To create a corridor model appropriate for the 21st Century, though, MnDOT officials are trying something different for their project planning.

Unlike in the past, MnDOT District 2 officials are involving the public from the very beginning, with a series of community meetings scheduled the next few months, allowing residents to have input on what sort of changes are made along the way.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 11th, 2019, 4:35 pm

m u l t i w a y b o u l e v a r d

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 11th, 2019, 6:06 pm

It's never not the answer.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 11th, 2019, 8:02 pm

So this has less than 15,000 vehicles per day. It's clear lanes are no the problem, over-access is the problem.

I've always wondered why we don't see more stroad repairs where there's roundabouts or similar treatments every half mile-ish, and then full medians between each one to force right-in-right-out at every curb cut or minor intersection.

I spent a lot of time up in Bemidji in my youth, and lots of drives up and down ol' Paul Bunyan Drive and Bemidji Aves.

Six roundabouts: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aSZzg ... sp=sharing
Medians and RIRO between each: https://streetmix.net/MatthewSteele/57/ ... nyan-drive

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 13th, 2019, 9:08 am

So this has less than 15,000 vehicles per day. It's clear lanes are no the problem, over-access is the problem.

I've always wondered why we don't see more stroad repairs where there's roundabouts or similar treatments every half mile-ish, and then full medians between each one to force right-in-right-out at every curb cut or minor intersection.

I spent a lot of time up in Bemidji in my youth, and lots of drives up and down ol' Paul Bunyan Drive and Bemidji Aves.

Medians and RIRO between each: https://streetmix.net/MatthewSteele/57/ ... nyan-drive
Boulevards would be great. I'm interested to see what they come up with. The only roundabout I can think of in Bemidji is in front of the Sanford Center arena. I do hope they lower the speed limit on Paul Bunyan Dr to 30mph. I doubt this happens as within the last couple years they for some reason raised the speed limit to 35mph. No one in Bemidji drives that fast so maybe it doesn't matter.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 13th, 2019, 9:15 am

Yeah the entire corridor from the 71 bypass intersection to Bemidji Ave is less than two miles and has less than 15,000 vehicles per day. A three lane profile would even work fine. Access management is the clear issue here, which is why the full median + RIRO + roundabouts concept seems like such a win for fixing these messy commercial stroads.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 19th, 2019, 11:30 am

Thanks for following the Streets.MN Forum, MnDOT District 2 engineers!

From http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d2/projects/ ... index.html

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 19th, 2019, 5:51 pm

:lol:
Really hoping they go for the roundabout option. As it is now it’s an awful place for peds and bikers.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 20th, 2019, 7:45 am

I sent them an email supporting the roundabout option and asking if there's consideration to do one lane in each direction rather than two due to the relatively low AADTs.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 20th, 2019, 5:31 pm

That would be great but it's probably too much change for people to stomach. Would love to see the same on Bemidji Ave but no idea if that's in the pipeline.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » July 16th, 2021, 2:32 pm

Future of Bemidji's Rail Corridor could be fitness focused

The area, located in the city's downtown, extends from Park Avenue Northwest to land near the Mississippi River and is bordered by existing rail lines. It's been the subject of discussion since 2017, with interest coming in from community members for potential redevelopment.

On Monday, July 12, a presentation was given to the Bemidji City Council by the St. Paul Port Authority, which was contracted in 2017 to study the land quality of the area. Before the city bought the land in 2003 for utility work, the area had been the site of gas and oil stations, as well as a coal gasification plant.

Initially, the proposed idea for the corridor was mainly residential with some space for commercial businesses. However, plans for the area have since changed and last year, Sanford Health proposed a new wellness center complex for the corridor.

During a council work session Monday, Monte Hilleman of the St. Paul Port Authority said a considerable amount of work has been done to test the soil, which was contaminated by its former industrial use. However, further study would be required should the council look at changing its concept for the area.

"The soil boring and contamination data is there," Hilleman said. "It's how you use that data to create a specific plan for intended land use. When the intended land use and footprint changes, you go back to the data and see if you have enough to find a new solution for a new footprint.
Sanford Health is partnering with Greater Bemidji Economic Development on the facilities, estimated at $30 million. Sanford Health is intending to invest $10 million in the project while also seeking funding through philanthropic donations and grants.

Not a fan. Sanford proposed building this near the hospital a few years ago. Would rather see more residential at this site.