Bon Quartier Apartments - (115 5th St NE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Aville_37
Union Depot

Bon Quartier Apartments - (115 5th St NE)

Postby Aville_37 » December 10th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Article about possible warehouse to apartment conversion in N.E. from The Downtown Journal online:

http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... warehouse/

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Bon Quartier Apartments

Postby woofner » December 10th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Yeah, I'm sure the neighborhood's support of Master's proposal doesn't have anything to do with the Calumet Condo Association's opposition to Clare Housing, or more general discrimination against affordable housing or people with AIDS.

Another Facebook link unfortunately:
Received a postcard in the mail today from the BOD at Calumet Lofts regarding the proposed Clare Housing development at 115 5th St. NE. The info on the card states that another of Clare Housing's properties at 3105 23rd Ave. S. generated over 105 police calls in 2011. There's a community meeting scheduled for Wed., April 4, 7 p.m. at Calumet Lofts, 127 NE 5th St.
Or this:
"Early on when we approved affordable housing, we had a terrible problem with crime and vandalism," said Terry Keegan, president of the Old St. Anthony business association and owner of Keegan's Pub. "I don't think anybody can deny the correlation between low-income housing and crime."
"Who rescued whom!"

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » December 10th, 2012, 6:45 pm

It is absolutely amazing how ridiculous people are when they play the NIMBY card. I have been involved with Clare for years and find the behavior of Calumet to be totally disgraceful.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » December 10th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Didn't realize this was happening. Very sad indeed.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » December 10th, 2012, 7:05 pm

"Ultimately, neighborhood leaders gave Master’s plan the nod over Clare Housing because the developer could move ahead with construction faster than the nonprofit, said Victor Grambsch, chair of NIEBNA"

Really?? Be honest NIEBNA and say the true reason.....you don't want people with HIV-AIDS living in your neighborhood, oh and then add the fact that they would be "poor" or worst yet "homeless" people with HIV-AIDS you really are ready for a fight....just be honest NIEBNA and Calumet!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 11th, 2012, 12:44 am

Another Facebook link unfortunately:
Received a postcard in the mail today from the BOD at Calumet Lofts regarding the proposed Clare Housing development at 115 5th St. NE. The info on the card states that another of Clare Housing's properties at 3105 23rd Ave. S. generated over 105 police calls in 2011. There's a community meeting scheduled for Wed., April 4, 7 p.m. at Calumet Lofts, 127 NE 5th St.
I wouldn't want to live next to a place that generated that kind of police response on a regular basis regardless of what kind of facility it is, just sayin'.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » December 11th, 2012, 3:25 am

I share a block with several low income housing properties, including a 35 unit low income apartment building. I haven't noticed any police activity associated with my low income neighbors. If there were 105 calls a year I'd probably get pretty frustrated. I guess my point is I agree with ne homer. I hate nimbys as much as everyone but don't begrudge these folks for resisting a property that could generate that kind of police activity.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » December 11th, 2012, 7:52 am

So, let's congregate all affordable/low-income housing in one unsafe area because, let's face it, all low-income people are criminals and lowlifes and don't deserve to live in a vibrant, safe neighborhood that has stores/services within walking distance and that may lead to a better quality of life?

Sorry - but this really irkes me.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » December 11th, 2012, 8:07 am

Um, no. My low income neighbors haven't been a problem and are good people. I would fully support another low income development on the R5 zoned land behind my home. Especially if the same developer/management company is involved. It would be an improvement over the existing buildings and certainly would help the tax base. Now if there were police at the existing building several times a week, I might feel differently.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 11th, 2012, 10:06 am

I wouldn't want to live next to a place that generated that kind of police response on a regular basis regardless of what kind of facility it is, just sayin'.
Sure, no one does, that's why this type of argument is so effective. Who is going to verify that the allegations are true, though? I looked through the 3rd precinct crime maps for last summer and only saw 3 or 4 that could have been at Clare Midtown. It seems unlikely to me that a building that opened in May and was quiet all summer suddenly saw a huge surge in crime in the Fall and Winter, but I'm sure not going to bother to pull the police records to confirm my suspicions.
"Who rescued whom!"

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 11th, 2012, 11:18 am

Seems a little strange to me, I mean, most low income stuff isn't actually THAT low lately anyways... and that would really help people who have a lot of extra health expenses... I'd say it's pretty blatant discrimination even with the timeline differences what's an extra few months or so when it's been empty for 10 years... Either way it's going to be nice having more residents in the area.

The larger image was HUGE...

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 11th, 2012, 11:58 am

Sure, no one does, that's why this type of argument is so effective. Who is going to verify that the allegations are true, though? I looked through the 3rd precinct crime maps for last summer and only saw 3 or 4 that could have been at Clare Midtown. It seems unlikely to me that a building that opened in May and was quiet all summer suddenly saw a huge surge in crime in the Fall and Winter, but I'm sure not going to bother to pull the police records to confirm my suspicions.
I guess that was my point. The way this postcard was put together there would be very few people that would vote the direction you wanted them to. If given the choice between the two developments and having the information the postcard provided you should not be surprised at the way the vote went.
I think hospitals and fire stations are very important too, but I don't want to live next to one.
We have low income housing in our neighborhood and I can only think of one incident in 13 years where I have seen a police car at one of the buildings, so I get that it is an unfair depiction of what the majority of these facilities are.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 11th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Can somebody go back to the beginning and give background for those of us who had never heard of Clare etc. until this thread?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 11th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Um, no. My low income neighbors haven't been a problem and are good people. I would fully support another low income development on the R5 zoned land behind my home. Especially if the same developer/management company is involved. It would be an improvement over the existing buildings and certainly would help the tax base. Now if there were police at the existing building several times a week, I might feel differently.
For the record, I agree with you 101%.....but do you OWN your home? I ask because a homeowner would absolutely care what type of housing went up nearby, especially if it could negatively impact the value of your home. It's a sad fact, but people GENERALLY look after their own well-being before the well-being of others (there are always exceptions). But like I said, I don't agree with the neighbors and I don't agree that low-income residents correlate to crime, per se. It's obviously WAY more complex than that, and I'd say the correlation is weak, at best!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 11th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Can somebody go back to the beginning and give background for those of us who had never heard of Clare etc. until this thread?
Seriously! Also, the photo of the development and the comment that came with it makes me think this is going through....so now I'm a bit confused.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » December 12th, 2012, 10:12 am

It all depends on the screening. If someone is homeless and poor because of continuing battles with drug or alcohol addiction or a record of being in and out of jail, yes, the crime risk is high and only special, strictly monitored facilities are appropriate.

If someone is poor and homeless despite doing his or her best to hold things together, then housing for them is essential and wonderful.

(Saying this, I'm aware that the line between the criminal poor and the deserving poor isn't so neatly drawn.)

I don't know the history of Clare and its neighbors and potential neighbors, but I'd imagine that an important first step for any of its projects would be to describe the function of its facility, how residents are screened, and how it deals with residents who fall short of expectations. That can provide a basis for reasonable debate rather than mere knee-jerk opposition.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 16th, 2013, 4:31 pm

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Bon Quartier Apartments - (115 5th St NE)

Postby lordmoke » September 4th, 2013, 12:29 pm

I have no idea when they started, but this is well under construction now.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 4th, 2013, 1:03 pm

This is this, right?

After calling for redevelopment proposals in 2011, the Minneapolis Department of Community Planning and Economic Development agreed to sell the tax-forfeited property to Simek’s St. Paul-based DRS Investments for $90,000 after he and Master submitted a plan to convert the former factory and water-bed warehouse into the La Pompadour Apartments, named after a cosmetics company that occupied it in the 1930s.

Master President Greg Ottum said the building, which has been vacant for at least a decade, is in poor shape and will require a $1.3 million rehabilitation to transform it into 21 one-bedroom units of between 502 and 769 square feet and a single two-bedroom unit of 586 square feet.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 4th, 2013, 1:36 pm

The redevelopment team’s plans call for the rehabilitation to be completed and the units rented by Oct. 1.

I'm guessing this is no longer the case?