Central & Lowry NE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Minneapolisite

Re: Central & Lowry NE

Postby Minneapolisite » January 31st, 2013, 7:37 pm

So it seems like the quieter outer-lying areas of NE are seeing some positive developments. In addition to 612 Brew and the third Spyhouse location on 18th and Central, Lowry out west around University, specifically the commercial at 2400 University Ave is going to be occupied by the Gastrotruck people (just a block south of Lowry and University) and north of there a few blocks is Northgate Brewing. I wouldn't have guessed that the border of Marshall Terraces and Holland of all places in NE would be seeing these small, but important developments. Maybe a slightly more vibrant Lowry Ave will be next and link up with a more vibrant Central Ave.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Re: 612Brew

Postby nordeast homer » February 1st, 2013, 12:11 am

For those beer lovers, 612Brew is set to open in two weeks. It smells really good in there!!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 1st, 2013, 7:49 am

I think you're correct. Definitely house hunting in the neighborhood :)

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » February 1st, 2013, 2:05 pm

Great to hear about Gastrotruck going brick-and-mortar on University. By my possibly incomplete count they would be the fifth business to start as a foodtruck and move into a retail location after Foxy Falafel, Turkey To-go, World Street Kitchen, and Smack Shack.

In this Streets.MN post, Bill Lindeke relayed (and countered) the urbanist argument that food trucks are bad for cities because they hurt legitimate businesses that pay taxes and fill storefronts year-round.

It looks like the evidence coming in shows that the food truck scene is acting as a farm system for new bricks & mortar restaurants rather than killing them with unfair competition. Somebody should tell that to the owner of D. Brian's Deli.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 1st, 2013, 5:14 pm

I love the food trucks, but I totally buy the argument that they're not paying their fair share.

If they are operating on private property, then I've got no issues with them. Presumably, they are either paying rent or have worked out a mutually beneficial arrangement with the landowner (see Taprooms, for example).

But if you're going to park on the sidewalk downtown (or on any public space), the city should be charging much, much more than just the basic licensing fee that they do now. Just because the use is transitory doesn't mean that the city shouldn't be charging rent for that space.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 1st, 2013, 10:01 pm

Or does it simply mean that the city is not charging enough "rent" for non-food truck vehicles as well?

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » February 2nd, 2013, 12:29 pm

If food trucks have such an advantage over restaurants by not paying their fair share why are food trucks going bricks & mortar? Wouldn't they just take advantage of the market distortion with more food trucks?
Or does it simply mean that the city is not charging enough "rent" for non-food truck vehicles as well?
Good point. Public parking subsidies have so warped the price of valuable downtown real estate the food trucks are able to plug the meters and get the same subsidy. So, MNdible is right.

I don't think the food trucks should pay more though. Not everything needs to be covered by user fees. Offering a public place for new entrepreneurs (in low barrier-to-entry business) to try their hand in the market is a public subsidy we need. As industries have consolidated and put regulatory barriers, there are just not enough chances for entrepreneurs to get started.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 2nd, 2013, 12:56 pm

If food trucks have such an advantage over restaurants by not paying their fair share why are food trucks going bricks & mortar? Wouldn't they just take advantage of the market distortion with more food trucks?
To the best of my knowledge, no food trucks are building their locations in the downtown core. They're quite content to park on the sidewalks, snag the downtown lunch rush, and avoid the high downtown rents.

I've apparently unwittingly walked into an ambush, though, taking on both the v-----t city and the parking subsidy crowds.

SLOWLY WALK FROM THE POST.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » February 2nd, 2013, 1:21 pm

Turkey To-go started as a food truck and now leases a skyway space in the Baker block.
I've apparently unwittingly walked into an ambush, though, taking on both the v-----t city and the parking subsidy crowds.
Really?! You're going to complain about subsidies to food trucks and completely dismiss the whole market-rate-parking discussion? I hope someone posts a fetish map to this thread. Walk away indeed.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 2nd, 2013, 1:33 pm

Hopefully obvious that I was joking. You urbanistas take yourselves very seriously.

Turkey To-Go was very much an anomaly in the food truck scene. As I recall, they were well capitalized and bought the rights from the Turkey Growers Association for a very well-established State Fair brand with the intent all along to open up downtown locations.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 8th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Opening date set: 4pm Febrewary 13th

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » February 9th, 2013, 12:07 am

According to The Journal a liquor store application will likely be approved for the old Porky's on Central.

They skipped the Windom Park neighborhood meeting, so my elderly neighbors weren't able to register their disapproval in person. But I guess it doesn't matter how the neighborhood votes as long as you're at least 2,000 feet from other liquor stores and at least 300 feet from a school or church.
“Traditionally the neighborhood has not been supportive of liquor stores and this is coming on the heels of another liquor store opening in the area,” said Reich, referring to Stinson Wine, Beer and Spirits, which opened July 31 and was the first liquor store to open in Windom Park since Prohibition.
And the Stinson Liquor store might have been worth the wait; they have a massive craft beer selection. I wonder if the new one in the old Porky's will be like that too -- they could contribute to Northeast's beer district -- or does this kerkinni want to compete with Central Ave Liquors for the plastic bottle vodka crowd?

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » February 9th, 2013, 12:18 am

I still don't know what's going on with the Burger King site on Central & 18th. It now looks like a fast food restaurant designed by BKV. Though, I like what they did with the landscaping and fencing, the neighborhood looks so much better without a derelict fast food restaurant.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » February 11th, 2013, 4:37 pm

I hope my wife takes me there for Valentines day. 8-) A guy can dream, can't he?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » February 16th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Well, it's open. Based on the fact that Dangerous Man was packed and it wasn't even 3:30, I'm guessing it'll be even more insane over there. If anyone is able to make it to the bar and order something let me know. Still debating whether I want to head from 13th several blocks east, because if it's way too crowded there's no other bar right next door.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 18th, 2013, 1:26 pm

The opening was a pretty good success from what I could tell, parking was a challenge, even with the large lot. The Zero Hour is a good Black American Ale and the Six is a nice pale ale, not too hoppy. I need to get back over soon to try the other 2.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 28th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Has anyone else been? I stopped by last Friday night. Overall it's good. The place was pretty packed while I was there, but it generally has more of an Uptown feel than a Northeast feel. Dangerous Man, on the other hand, is totally Northeast. Either way, I think it's a positive that there are now three taprooms in the area now.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » March 21st, 2013, 9:23 pm

Does anyone know the plan for the former Burger King on Central and 18th? Hillcrest development purchased it and had a buyer with a plan that couldn’t be disclosed, last I heard. They’ve put a lot of work into this building, inside and out. Surely, they’ve had to disclose their plans by now to pull construction permits?

Anyways, whatever it is, it will be a big improvement from a boarded up Burger King on that prominent corner.

Finally! I can stop wondering. The Northeaster reports the former Burger King at 18th and Central will soon open as Central Child Care Center.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » March 21st, 2013, 9:29 pm

In other Central & Lowry news, Central Avenue Liquors is in the midst of an expansion. They turning what must be their former backroom into sales floor space with additional coolers. Their former backroom is actually the historic storefront facing Central Avenue. Currently, their main entrance is on the side by the parking lot. I have no idea if they plan to open the front doors during business hours, but I kind of doubt it given the security concerns of an urban liquor store.

Streetview of historical storefront

The Northeaster reports an organic bakery called Solomon Bakery and Snacks has opened at 2401 Central. Apparently they’re open until 9:00pm, which seems odd for a straight-up bakery. It sounds like they previously were somewhere else on Central Ave and have an Uptown location as well.

The Johnson Building at 2220 Central is getting a façade facelift. The front page of the Northeaster has a great looking rendering. PDF

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » March 21st, 2013, 9:31 pm

Last week, the Northeast Investment Cooperative signed a purchase agreement for the old furniture store at 2504/2506 Central Ave. Sounds like the idea is for Recovery Bike Shop to move into the 2504 side from their current spot in the Co-op building. The Co-op would then have room to expand.

...However, the press release also notes the need to raise another $200K in member equity and obtain financing to make the deal work out. So, we’ll see if they can pull it off...
Again from the Northeaster, “The Northeast Investment Cooperative has now raised a total of $166,000 in paid and pledged equity, about halfway to the amount that will allow the group to own and renovate the 2506 building outright with no outside financing.”