Central & Lowry NE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Central & Lowry NE

Postby mattaudio » April 1st, 2013, 5:25 pm

Maybe if Central fails as a corridor, it's time to start thinking of it as a string of nodes. Grade separated transit could connect these nodes.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » June 11th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Speaking of Brew 612, Spyhouse nextdoor in the same building is due to open in August. While these places are isolated for the average visitor they're a boon to Beltrami & Northeast Park residents who don't have many such amenities along their borders.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » June 13th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Oh yeah, the empty Kim's Vietnamese-Chinese spot has little signs saying, "New restaurant coming soon!". And a guy on a ladder was doing something to the old furniture outlet building north of there.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » June 25th, 2013, 6:04 pm

So it looks like the old Psycho Suzi's spot has no takers after a couple yeas so the owner is going to open up another spot: Betty Danger's Country Club.

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2013/06 ... family.php

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 25th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Ugh, the neighborhood group is called "Concerned Citizens of Marshall Terrace"

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » June 25th, 2013, 8:30 pm

I'm sure since it won't be spewing industrial chemicals over them that there'll be no problem. Psycho Suzi's was already there before without issue, so I'm optimistic.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » October 14th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Mill City Cafe is making progress now on the exterior too (it's not quite the same setting as the tucked-away 22nd Ave location ) and Kim's has re-opened down the street: was that place any good before they closed? I can't remember if it was open when I got here 2 years ago. The new remodeled location for Recovery Bike Shop on the west side of the street just up from Lowry is looking really good, but I can't find a picture. Oh yeah, the long-running barber shop on that corner is for sale: really interested to see what will take its place considering this is a major intersection. Another fast-food chain like a subway or something local? Hopefully, something that will better the surrounding area.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 21st, 2013, 7:04 am

It appears that El Taco Riendo (The Laughing Taco) is expanding. There is a sign in the space directly to the south in the old musical instrument store. This is good news, their food is delicious.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 21st, 2013, 12:19 pm

I'm glad to hear that El Taco Riendo is doing so well. The menu isn't all that different than the previous owner, but the quality is better and the amount of foot traffic here would prove that.
I'm curious to try Kim's again. It was a family restaurant before, I wonder if it's the same people? They used to have great food and it would be nice to get an Asian restaurant in NE that doesn't believe that 90% of the meal should be onion.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » October 21st, 2013, 12:53 pm

When did the ownership at El Taco Riendo change? Last time I was there, it seemed like they just microwaved everything. I much prefer Maya just down the street for short order tacos.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 21st, 2013, 2:09 pm

I think it changed about 5 years ago from what I recall.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 7th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Social Cider Werks is opening a hard-cider focused taproom at 1500 Filmore Ave NE later this month. This is a unique location between an industrial area to the west, the Northeast Athletic Fields to the South and East, and residential neighborhood to the north.

Northeast's strange patchwork of residential and industrial areas is a really good fit for taprooms which mix manufacturing and retail components.

If I were involved in this endeavor, I'd market to the softball leagues that play at the very active ball fields directly across the street. I could see team traditions develop to stop in for a cider after games. It's not like there's anywhere else close by.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this since it’s within walking distance of my house and my wife likes cider better than beer.

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/no ... ture-cider#
Last edited by Viktor Vaughn on December 3rd, 2013, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » November 18th, 2013, 8:39 pm

I saw the new Mill restaurant was open during dinner Friday night with plenty of people inside, but not sure if it was just a one-night soft opening deal til later or if they're open for good.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » December 3rd, 2013, 10:50 pm

Check out the co-op cooperation in Northeast. The NEIC is on a roll.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 41761.html