Dinkytown Rentals Townhouses - (621 15th Avenue Southeast)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Dinkytown Rentals Townhouses - (621 15th Avenue Southeas

Postby Nick » July 7th, 2013, 10:35 pm

An apartment building designed to look like a row of houses. It will be replacing a row of houses.
Just wanted to stop for a moment to recognize this bit of humor.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 8th, 2013, 11:36 am

A few quick tangental notes:

1. The parking lot at Dinkytown Wine & Spirits is most definitely used.

2. Credit to Dinkytown Wine & Spirits for creating a more urban store that is open to 5th Street. If only it wasn't surrounded by surface parking.

3. I have no idea how the logistics work, but there is a considerable amount of space in the middle of this block, between McDonalds, Dinkytown Wine & Spirits, Five Guys, etc. A small parking ramp similar to the one at the Cobalt in Northeast could easily replace all of the surface parking and allow for significant redevelopment of the areas closer to the street.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 8th, 2013, 12:10 pm

1. Yep, but my experience was that it was lazy college kids choosing to drive based on their cars being easily accessible and freely parked. Carrying a 6-24 pack back to an apartment/house is not difficult (or time consuming) but the cost being basically $0 they will choose to drive it. Most people (98%) are not getting kegs (as a previous poster noted).

2. Definitely agreed. Perhaps they are planning for the parking space to be better utilized? They easily could have left their old entrance that faced the parking lot when they expanded in to the old Subway space, but made a good move with this design.

3. Would be fantastic. This would also allow for the McDonalds to reconfigure their drive-through (I'm thinking reverse the direction and have them enter from the alley/ramp area).

As for the row of houses.. I think the statement would be more apt if it read "look like row houses, replacing a row of houses"

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 28th, 2013, 6:06 pm

I've been walking by this multiple times a day for months, but haven't bothered to stop for a picture until today.

This is coming along nicely, and will be called the Golden Lodge. It's strange to see wood framing on the first floor.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 1st, 2014, 4:26 pm

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 8th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Might this be the building that they're working on? Some nice rentals with a good look at the rooms available. http://www.dinkytownrentals.com/golden-lodge/

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 9th, 2014, 8:44 pm

It's really too bad more places (including the large lux*ry ones) don't post their prices for these places to compare online.. Dinkytown Rentals is the only (formerly) small land holder in the area that has risen to the challenge of the big developers, and their pitch is simple: no long hallways, no amenities (pools, workout facilities, etc) you won't use, no elevators. Hopefully their prices are $150-200/mo/BR less than the big boys to prove it can be done. This place meets the street pretty well between doors, porches, and decks. Too bad they leave surface parking behind it, but maybe in 10-20 years when parking is needed even less they'll throw up one of their lodge buildings...

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 9th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Well it looks like they're also going to have bike parking in the back. That's good imo, that means it could reduce bike theft.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 9th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Hopefully Dinkytown Rentals does more things like this - density without over the top little-used amenities. And, like RailBaron says, surface parking, while unfortunately necessary now, could be easily converted to another lodge style building in the future.

That's a new low for painful website design, though. Good lord.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 9th, 2014, 9:58 pm

I really like the floorplans on these, except on the 5 bedroom unit, I don't see a door on the loft bedroom, you just go up the stairs and there you are. I can't imagine a college student being ok with that.

web

Postby web » February 10th, 2014, 9:59 am

Most "lofts" are open design everywhere. My sister lived in one for many years

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 10th, 2014, 2:14 pm

In general I can't imagine why college kids would pay extra for a crappy "fitness center" with a couple ellipticals and treadmills stuffed in a room by the parking garage - or why it would even weigh into their selection. They all already pay (non-optionally) for memberships in the U's recreation center. I guess I can see why they might think a pool is worthwhile since the Rec's pools are for fitness only. But leaving out "amenities" like that seems a smart move.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 10th, 2014, 3:37 pm

In general I can't imagine why college kids would pay extra for a crappy "fitness center" with a couple ellipticals and treadmills stuffed in a room by the parking garage - or why it would even weigh into their selection. They all already pay (non-optionally) for memberships in the U's recreation center. I guess I can see why they might think a pool is worthwhile since the Rec's pools are for fitness only. But leaving out "amenities" like that seems a smart move.
I've never understood it either, but I know some people like my roommate (a grad student at the U) are workout fanatics who enjoy going to a full gym, but are dissuaded but the sometimes tedious process of getting there when it's -30 degrees. If you're a busy student who can't make it to the U on one of the days but wants to get a workout in a climate-controlled area, having an elliptical and some free weights might be just what you need.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 10th, 2014, 4:29 pm

It's such a tiny cost really, to find some out of the way room and put 10 or 15 thousand dollars worth of equipment in there.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 10th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Right, but the workout room is just one of many amenities typically offered.. Party room(s) with a full kitchen/fireplaces/TVs/furnishings/etc, dog runs and/or dog washing stations, indoor pools and hot tubs, rooftop patios, etc etc. Not all of them have these amenities, but in total they start hitting the $100k+ range. (ok, in retrospect, amortized over 30 years by each unit probably costs like $15 or so per month..hmm)

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 10th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Except you can't amortize those things over 30 years because they're expensive to maintain, require professional service, need new parts, filters, winterizing in the case of outdoor items, etc. The initial install cost of a pool, for example, is quickly dwarfed by its ongoing costs.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 11th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Right, but the workout room is just one of many amenities typically offered.. Party room(s) with a full kitchen/fireplaces/TVs/furnishings/etc, dog runs and/or dog washing stations, indoor pools and hot tubs, rooftop patios, etc etc. Not all of them have these amenities, but in total they start hitting the $100k+ range. (ok, in retrospect, amortized over 30 years by each unit probably costs like $15 or so per month..hmm)
A lot of University of Minnesota places don't have things like dog runs or pools. They usually have a study room and/or party room, a small gym, and that's about it. It would seem they're charging a lot of money because it's new construction.

On a similar note, I'm young enough that I still have connections who are at the U. I remember one complaining about The Venue going up and "destroying the fabric of Dinkytown". He said the prices were ridiculous for units and that he "didn't need granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances and a pool", but that he'd rather the units have "outdoor space and a walk-in closet". As if somehow more space with slightly cheaper appliances is somehow going to bring rent down hundreds of dollars.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 29th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 30th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Mostly inoffensive. I guess that's high praise these days for student housing?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 31st, 2014, 8:45 am

I'd say when you compare it to the structure just south on 15th (in frame), we're getting something much better than what we had been for the decades after WWII.