Dinkytown

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
blo442
Block E

Re: Dinkytown

Postby blo442 » August 28th, 2020, 8:42 pm

A few dispatches from Dinkytown as the fall semester approaches:

"Uncommon" Apartments at 1202 4th St is open. It is an "uncommon"-ly ugly building, IMHO. Lack of retail is disappointing on such a lively street. I was shocked by the complete lack of privacy and screening for the walk-up units along 4th and 12th. The building is set back maybe 3 feet from the sidewalk with bedroom windows right at eye level and clear glass front doors. Felt voyeuristic just walking by.

North Bay/DJR have put out a bunch of proposals for micro-apartment buildings on small lots with ground floor retail in this area. One at 1119 4th, the "Trademark" just opened. Looks pretty sweet and I'm excited to have more small-scale developments in this area vs. just half-block monoliths.

Dinkytown Food Hall (the old CVS space at 15th and 4th) has banners up for a "grand opening". 6/10 (maybe 11) stalls are filled. The tenant mix and marketing seems to be primarily targeting the Asian student population... probably a good business move.

Finally, the street life is really picking up for the first time since March as students move in to off-campus housing. In any other year I would welcome this, but now it's unnerving as many of those students are almost certainly about to start having parties and transmitting COVID-19 all over campus. Numbers could start looking real bad again in September.

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » October 8th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Just a general question/statement - all of the new buildings that have gone up or are proposed for Dinkytown and around the UofM include great street-level retail - smaller spaces - that get quickly filled up by quick and go restaurants, etc. Now why can't developers do the same for downtown Minneapolis? Instead we get buildings with either one huge retail space that would involve companies having to spend money to divide it up, or no retail - only "walk up" units, which to me - would be highly undesirable and doesn't add to street life.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 9th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Now why can't developers do the same for downtown Minneapolis? Instead we get buildings with either one huge retail space that would involve companies having to spend money to divide it up, or no retail - only "walk up" units, which to me - would be highly undesirable and doesn't add to street life.
I think the City should be more open to giving subsidies (likely TIF) to get the things we say we want. Private sector developers usually aren't as forward looking as government is, they consider only the short/medium term bottom line. Government is tasked with creating a long-term vision for active storefronts downtown. If that doesn't align with current developer pro-formas, then we (public) should consider paying for it. I do think we should keep (and possible expand/strengthen) the current requirements we have for requiring commercial space downtown, but we should also help with paying for it (on a strict, as-needed basis of course). I don't think it's unreasonable to say we should put our money where our mouth is. If there are certain blocks or projects that should really have active ground-level space (or more than bare minimum code requirements, etc.), I'm all for paying for it to make sure it happens. I don't think we're talking about a great deal of money in the grand scheme of the city budget.

I'd also extend this to existing office buildings downtown that have shit frontages in areas with heavy pedestrian traffic.

gopherfan
Metrodome

Postby gopherfan » October 9th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Now why can't developers do the same for downtown Minneapolis?
One Word: Skyways