University of Minnesota - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
MNdible
is great.

Re: U of M tuition

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2012, 3:13 pm

"A portion of that, $14.2 million extra over each of the two years, would be linked to a tuition freeze for in-state undergraduates."

It's not terribly clear, but I read that to be $14.2m x 2.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 14th, 2012, 3:19 pm

I think we can agree $28,400,000 < $1,100,000,000

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: University of Minnesota

Postby Nick » September 15th, 2012, 8:53 am

I thought this op-ed the Strib ran the other day had a lot of good points:

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/comm ... ml?refer=y
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 15th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Should the state give the U $1.1 billion dollars in order to freeze tuition for 2 years?

Where oh where do I begin? I understand that tuition has gone up dramatically over the last decade or so, but, as I recall, going to college is a privilege not a right. Second of all; maybe the U should stop the building boom and look after it's students for a change. Third of all; how about looking at all the pork within the U system and cut some internal costs, pay professors what they are worth, (quite a bit less than what they get paid), outsource some of the staff that is union, (we're paying double what the market is in some positions). Tighten your freaking belts before you come begging for more money. They spend money like a 10 year old with a credit card.

I'm sick and tired of institutions like the U trying to look like heroes when all they are doing is taking money out of our pockets to do what they should be doing on their own in the first place!!!

Comments?
There's plenty of room to save money at the U, and none of it is in salary.

Where do you get the idea that professors make too much? Too much in comparison to what? There aren't a whole lot of research faculty in the private sector. Do you even know how faculty are paid?

And if you say anything positive about for-profit education I'll know you're wrong on so many levels.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 15th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Fish, do you include Administration salary when you say no salary? I have always thought it off that the U of MN pres makes more than the US pres.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 15th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Knowing first hard it is to get a raise at the U, I have a hard time believing that there's some systemic overpayment of employees. That's not to say that there aren't overpaid employees, but I really doubt it's as much of a problem as public education bashers make it out to be.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 15th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Fish, do you include Administration salary when you say no salary? I have always thought it off that the U of MN pres makes more than the US pres.
I find it bizarre that we pay the president of the US as little as we do. CEOs get paid hundreds of times as much to run much simpler organizations. I similarly find it surprising that we pay the president of a billion dollar enterprise employing tens of thousands of people as little as we do.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 15th, 2012, 7:04 pm

As a big U of M booster (my face is red from sitting out in the sun watching football today) but extreme cynic from my time there, I always like to point out that they have 21 associate vice presidents. That's very simplistic, as is me pointing out that "Associate to the Associate Vice President of Equity & Diversity" is a position that exists, but it kind of gets at the root of some of the broader issues they have. I would agree that paying the president $650,000 a year to run a billion dollar institution with tens of thousands of employees and tens of thousands of students is pretty damn reasonable in the grand scheme of things. People like to crap on government-paid salaries because that's what people do.

But in my experience working in two departments while a student there was that there were often far too many people doing too little. It was like we invented computers, but staffing in many areas never really adjusted to the decreased amount of actual work that needed to be done. So a 700 student residence hall has a salaried, full-time director, assistant director, business operations supervisor, facilities supervisor, and a number of other custodial and maintenance employees. Then throw in twenty to thirty students who work the desk, clean stuff, work as CAs, etc. Bloated.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 15th, 2012, 10:39 pm

I find it bizarre that we pay the president of the US as little as we do. CEOs get paid hundreds of times as much to run much simpler organizations. I similarly find it surprising that we pay the president of a billion dollar enterprise employing tens of thousands of people as little as we do.
Firstly, the perks they receive for the rest of their lives are worth much more than the salary. Second, if it was THE highest paid position in the country it'd attract even more of the wrong type of candidates!

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Current University of Minnesota Projects

Postby Didier » September 19th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I agree that the 2700 The Avenue project better fits in the U of M thread than the Saint Paul thread, although I guess it's all kind of moot for now.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 24th, 2012, 9:30 pm

I was on 4th st and saw a cleared lot being dug up between 10th and 11th Ave (or right in that area, but along 4th st for sure). Anybody know what's going on there?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 24th, 2012, 11:53 pm

Is it that University Lutheran Chapel housing project?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 24th, 2012, 11:54 pm

I reckon it's Lupe's project mentioned today in this Daily article.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » October 29th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Dont know if anyone has walked a beat around this area lately, but the Washington Ave strip between Harvard & Huron is transforming into a great little "village".

I think, upon the completion of The Station on Washington, this area will draw even more students, (and maybe young professors) to the area.

I would like to see the U Liquors site, and the 35 parking spaces north of it be transformed into a 4-5 story mixed use building that has storefront facing on Washington & Ontario!!! Woo Hoo! Only a dream.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 29th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Not that it'll happen anytime soon, but I'd lay money on that being the next lot to be redeveloped on Washington.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » October 30th, 2012, 9:08 am

I have been around campus a lot lately with football and hockey games. It is amazing all the construction. Private and from the U. The new U dorm is huge, and it has been a lot of fun seeing all of these projects get built up.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 10th, 2012, 7:48 pm

As an aside, I had to work an event at the U last night so I got dropped off and grabbed dinner first at Dino's Gyros. It's pretty amazing how much different this Stadium Village area feels now as compared to pre-LRT. Obviously University isn't fully opened yet, but now there is only one lane of car traffic in each direction. More than that, though, the density in that area has changed so much. It truly feels like legitimate city neighborhood.
Right?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 11th, 2012, 10:41 am

Is that from on top the Washington Ave Ramp?

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » November 11th, 2012, 11:58 am

The craziest thing is that this isn't even all of it. With WaHu and The Station on Washington, this view of Washington Avenue will change so much. I cannot wait to see what this place will look like in another three years. :ugeek:

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » November 11th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Pfreyre,

I totally understand where you're coming from. I know that this is a broad generalization, but most to all of the students that I know who live in housing like this have rich parents who either pay for their housing, or are on scholarship at the U and their housing is paid for through these scholarships. Not all students want to live in big new developments like this, especially me. Yes, I'm a student at the University, but I'd prefer to live in more established housing that is unique in character. I don't care if I can have an ipad next to me while I sit on the toilet like in Floco, because I don't want to pay an extra four hundred a month to have stupid amenities like this in my apartment. I don't need it. So to the students who take out student loans to pay for their housing and choose the most expensive option, it's kind of their own fault...