University of Minnesota - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: University of Minnesota - General Topics & Development M

Postby EOst » August 31st, 2015, 6:12 pm

The road is now open and mostly painted, with a little bit of work to be done on the sidewalks in front of Nicholson and Northrop. Largely keeps the layout from before, but new bike boxes are roughed in (though unpainted as of earlier today) on the stretch with new bike lanes. Cars were taking the sharp curves pretty cautiously, which is a good sign.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 11th, 2015, 4:59 pm

We talked about bloated administration costs at the U (or at least a perception of them) once upon a time here in this thread, and part of the effort to bring those down involved CIO Scott Studham. Well he resigned last week and the juice is coming out:
http://www.startribune.com/university-o ... 326810561/

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » September 11th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Wow that guy was either a complete tool and clown or there are some seriously bitter people in that department that drove him out. It sounds more like that guy was responsible for some rather suspicious activity.

This situation coupled with the issues at the Athletic Directors office have presented Kaler with a real chance to make his mark on his presidency these next six months. By stamping out rampant abuse of privilege in the U's administration as well as limiting wasteful spending he could become a fairly good president. Although that journey looks long and strenuous.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 11th, 2015, 8:17 pm

I'd say it's probably a good dose of both. I actually work in OIT, and have been in IT at the U for like 8 years, but I guess I've been insulated from his shenanigans so I don't really have any thoughts on it one way or the other (and as an employee I don't really want to state a firm opinion either way).

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 5th, 2015, 11:39 am

I can't find a link to the story I read this morning, and I'm not sure if this is a good place for this, but it's as good as a place as any, but it seems that Chester, who made his home under the 3rd Ave bridge and should be known in at least some small way to anyone who's spent time at the U, has passed away. I guess this Facebook post is the best I can find right now:
https://www.facebook.com/susan.schaefer ... 6298387864

A Star Tribune article about his "encampment:"
http://www.startribune.com/bike-traffic ... 260706601/

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 5th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Here's piece from Mill City Times by the same author:
http://millcitytimes.com/news/our-west- ... ft-us.html

Hard Times Cafe also posted a little tribute to him on Facebook.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 8th, 2015, 9:23 am

An update on the UofM project to re-activate the old Main Steam Plant with new natural gas co-generation units.

The facilities page for this is also worth checking out. Lots of great photos of one of the more ridiculous construction sites you're likely to see.

I think I've raised the question before, but it will be interesting to see what this project means for the future of the more prominent Southeast Steam Plant. Should that facility be retired, presumably that should also mean that the coal rail cars serving that facility will also go away, meaning that the trench through Dinkytown can be fully reclaimed.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Washington Ave Bridge Enclosed Walkway

Postby minneboom » November 3rd, 2015, 5:44 pm

I was walking over this bridge the other night and had a few observations.

-The enclosed walkway is in terrible condition. There are huge holes in the walls and lots of rust on the panels.
-There is not a good pedestrian connection or signage to the West Bank LRT Station. The walking route weaves around buildings and is not very direct.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to improve this enclosed walkway and help improve the connection to the West Bank LRT Station?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Washington Ave Bridge Enclosed Walkway

Postby Nathan » November 3rd, 2015, 6:09 pm

Really good questions, it seems like that should definitely be something addressed to make sure connectivity and maximum efficiency of infrastructure.

I would like to note to you that almost every 'area' thread has a "general topics thread" We use those threads for topics like this. We usually only create a new sub thread if there is an actually project proposed or in the works. (mods will always make decisions to compile the threads, if they want, just a tip!)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 3rd, 2015, 6:55 pm

There has been talk of repairing/replacing since they upgraded the bridge for the light rail. I think funding is the big issue as it will be a costly project and we now have the light rail to get between the two sides of the campuses.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 3rd, 2015, 7:16 pm

Crazy idea for the renovation: split the two-way bike path onto either side of the structure, widen the structure by 5 feet or so, and use the enclosed portion for a double row of either A) pop-up retail B) Art Gallery C) farmer's market.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » November 3rd, 2015, 8:04 pm

According to a Daily article a few years back, the U could have re-inclosed and heated the entire indoor walkway with the amount of money they spent on that new "Goldy Leans on an M" statue by Coffman.

Another note: School of Architecture head Marc Swackhamer was once worked on a concept to redo the bridge deck and utilize the enclosed space as an extension of the Weisman Art Museum.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » November 3rd, 2015, 8:27 pm

Another note: School of Architecture head Marc Swackhamer was once worked on a concept to redo the bridge deck and utilize the enclosed space as an extension of the Weisman Art Museum.
I really like that idea of turning it into an conditioned art gallery space that could be used for other events. There could be nicely landscaped areas placed periodically along the bridge that provide space for a farmers market or pop-up retail. Additionally, maybe there could be one larger outdoor seating area that can be used for classes and just general seating. It has such an amazing view of the Mississippi and Downtown that it could be turned into something really amazing for the University. It would be a great defining element on the campus that helps unite the two banks.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 3rd, 2015, 8:53 pm

Ah, I knew I wasn't the first person to think of that. Thought I had heard it somewhere.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » November 3rd, 2015, 9:00 pm

Here are some renderings from that competition and a link to the announcement of the winner.

http://archinect.com/schools/release/32 ... r/26677397

Last edited by minneboom on November 3rd, 2015, 9:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 3rd, 2015, 9:02 pm

That would be amazing.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 3rd, 2015, 9:07 pm

To be fair to the commuters though, part of it still should be enclosed/heated.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 3rd, 2015, 9:30 pm

According to a Daily article a few years back, the U could have re-inclosed and heated the entire indoor walkway with the amount of money they spent on that new "Goldy Leans on an M" statue by Coffman.
Wasn't the statue entirely funded by donations? And it was only a few tens of thousands of dollars, I don't think you could put a fresh coat of paint on the bridge for that little money.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » November 3rd, 2015, 9:54 pm

I disagree. If you are concerned about being cold or getting wet, take the bus, train, or a car. If one insists on walking then maybe they should dress more appropriately. I did a lot of walking and biking on campus 4-8 years ago. There is no reason that bridge needs an enclosed walkway, everyone can get by without it.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 3rd, 2015, 10:24 pm

I disagree. If you are concerned about being cold or getting wet, take the bus, train, or a car. If one insists on walking then maybe they should dress more appropriately. I did a lot of walking and biking on campus 4-8 years ago. There is no reason that bridge needs an enclosed walkway, everyone can get by without it.
1) I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive, 2) that kind of attitude is a surefire way to piss off a lot of people and get nothing done.