The Venue at Dinkytown - (14th Avenue SE & 5th Street SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: The Venue at Dinkytown - (14th Avenue SE & 5th Street SE

Postby FISHMANPET » September 28th, 2014, 5:30 pm

I think this is way better architecturally than the Marshall. If the definition of good architecture is "throw shit against the walls and see what sticks" then yeah, I guess you could say the Marshall is better. But I'm not seeing it.

The point of this building is that it should blend in, and it does so quite nicely.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » September 28th, 2014, 7:41 pm

I'm with fishmanpet on this one. Good architecture doesn't mean "eye-catching" or "not boring" per se. Certainly lots of buildings that are eye-catching or not boring are good architecture, but many also are not. There are lots of things which make architecture "good" or "bad" (and much is subjective). I think one of those things is context, and I think The Venue generally succeeds in that area. It's "boringness" is intentional. It (to me) looks much like it belongs there (or at least more than The Marshall, if we are comparing the two). Notice the way the upper floors are set back from 14th. Also see how the cut corner and column on the first floor match that of the US Bank building on the other end of the block. The material also seems of much higher quality (mostly brick). I think in a few decades this one will wear fairly well. I do think the mullions are odd, though.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 28th, 2014, 7:53 pm

It should probably have some sort of cornice, right? That would go such a long way towards making the box look like less of a box. I don't understand why lots of new projects leave them out.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 28th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Or at least some sort of small overhang. Honestly part of it looks just like the 1980's 2 story apartment housing projects

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » September 28th, 2014, 9:18 pm

It should probably have some sort of cornice, right? That would go such a long way towards making the box look like less of a box. I don't understand why lots of new projects leave them out.
Yeah, that'd be nice actually.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 29th, 2014, 8:56 am

In many ways I would say it hurts more than the Marshall. The Marshall is hated here because it is poor in urban design terms, but it is a much more attractive building in pure architectural terms. At least it is attempting to have some style.
In what world is the Marshall more attractive than any recently-constructed building? I like that its infill and that it provided space for Target Express to come in, but it really is the bottom of the barrel for the most part, especially the frontage on 5th Street and 14th Avenue.

I'm rather partial to how the Venue mostly blends in and seems to be a natural bit of growth for Dinkytown. The Marshall sticks out in a really bad way.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 29th, 2014, 10:00 am

Yes, in my mind, the Venue is way better than the Marshall, and it's not even close.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » September 29th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Good god, do people remember the House of Hanson with its entirely blank wall on one side, followed by a dismal parking lot? Even the side of the House of Hanson with windows and doors was not that inviting, since you had to step into a sort of dark and small doorway to see inside the shops.
http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/sites/tcda ... hanson.jpg

And there's the Venue.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/40863599@N05/15196124089/

It's not the finest piece of architecture I've ever seen but it meets the street at a significant corner in an interesting way on both sides.

More buildings like the Venue without the protracted agony that got it approved is what the Twin Cities needs.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » November 3rd, 2014, 7:16 am

Looks like the GreatClips at the Commons Hotel is moving into the Venue. Wonder what will replace it?