The Venue at Dinkytown - (14th Avenue SE & 5th Street SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Opus Dinkytown Project - (14th Avenue SE & 5th Street SE

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 25th, 2013, 7:53 am

Also, yep: http://www.mndaily.com/news/metro-state ... t-students

"Ardes Johnson, a University alumna, decided to sell her townhouse in the Rollins Court complex after living there for 22 years. “It was hard to say, ‘O.K., for the right price, I’ll give in,’” Johnson said. “That’s what it amounted to.”"
I mean I can't imagine a smart, educated council (or several) voting this project down for the arguments that these "Save Dinkytownists" are providing. It's almost laughable. It's fine if some (misguided) people want to get their panties in a bunch over this project, but I hope nobody with power actually pulls the plug on this, or there'll be a much bigger, much angrier, mob of protestors with an axe to grind!

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 25th, 2013, 8:29 am

Just as long as nobody forces CVS out to make room for a large, national retailer.
Had this discussion before. Chains have been moving in before any of the major development occurred. Potbelly, Five Guys, McDonalds, Subway, Pizza Hut, Qdoba, Bruegger's, hell even the Library is a nationally present chain. BWW came in to an old fire station just down the road. The chains would have come in regardless. The point is that large development doesn't mean, unquestionably, that large chains will come in. Sally's, Campus Pizza, Purple Onion, Goldy's Locker room, etc are all proving that. Also Opus' comments on the type of tenant they're looking for. Let's see if it happens - Duffy's has stated they want to re-open in the new space. If it happens I'd say that's a commitment to local business, no?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 25th, 2013, 8:40 am

It's worth noting that this isn't the first time they've tried to save Dinkytown from the chains.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 25th, 2013, 8:56 am

They just finished talking about the Megabus layover issue right now.

The Opus Dinkytown rezoning has indeed been pulled from the consent agenda. Here we go!

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/tv/79

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 25th, 2013, 9:12 am

Not sure who's speaking now, because I don't know any faces, but the planner is answering questions and she was asked what role renters play in these neighborhood groups. Sounds to me like she doesn't give a crap about a handful of homeowners impacting thousands of students. Sounds good to me.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » July 25th, 2013, 9:19 am

Uh oh... some concerning comments from Goodman and Tuthill about proceeding with the Opus project while there is a pending Small Area Plan for the Dinkytown area. They keep citing the Linden Hills development moratorium. Yikes... I'm getting nervous.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 25th, 2013, 9:21 am

And 40 minutes of public comment.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 25th, 2013, 9:23 am

this city just loves it's precious surface parking lots. 70% of this site is parking lot....so yea...great city we have here. really "dense".

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 25th, 2013, 9:24 am

This development is a cancer...
Hyperbole much?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 25th, 2013, 9:26 am

The planning manager mentioned that a moratorium would not affect a project that has already submitted applications. Also, Dinkytown already has a small area plan (whereas Linden Hills did not) and this new SAP effort is not sponsored or led by the City. Furthermore, this project is supported by the Marcy Holmes Neighborhood Association, whereas the Linden Hills developments were not supported by the neighborhood group.
But yeah, those comments from Goodman were bad.

Now 20 minutes of comments from each side, which I will decline to listen to. I'm gonna tune back in at 11am and hopefully they will move ahead on this.

Personally, I don't agree with opening this to a public hearing. Sufficient public comment was taken from both sides at the Planning Commission meeting. What's the point in wasting everyone's time allowing folks to repeat themselves? Council members have access to video recording and the minutes from the PC meeting.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 25th, 2013, 9:30 am

Parking lots encouraging driving with the pollution and obesity that has been scientifically proven (and also can actually cause cancer) vs development of apartments and commercial space in a highly desirable area. Yeah, I'd say hyperbole.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 25th, 2013, 9:31 am

Yeah, they should just listen to UrbanMSPers glowing endorsements of the project from the PC meeting.
I'm a masochist, so I'm still watching. The bookhouse employee just spoke. SaveDinkytown as an organization (as if it existed for any reason other than to block this project) supports mixed use, more housing, more commercial, but they just don't want this to happen :roll:

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 25th, 2013, 9:33 am

And obviously there's a conspiracy to tear down Al's Breakfast, with developers in secret negotiation with the city to rezone that lot as well.

Nevermind that the owner of the property said he'd never sell.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 25th, 2013, 9:34 am

Personally, I don't agree with opening this to a public hearing. Sufficient public comment was taken from both sides at the Planning Commission meeting. What's the point in wasting everyone's time allowing folks to repeat themselves? Council members have access to video recording and the minutes from the PC meeting.
I strongly disagree with this. No councilmember has time to go watch videos. We need more public participation, not less.

I fully support this development but shutting down public input isn't going to make the opposition go away. It's better in the long run to let people get it off their chests.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 25th, 2013, 9:35 am

And obviously there's a conspiracy to tear down Al's Breakfast, with developers in secret negotiation with the city to rezone that lot as well.
And developers never change their mind.

I support this project, but to suggest that Al's isn't endangered is wearing blinders.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 25th, 2013, 9:36 am

I have no doubt that somebody wants to redevelop that, but there are actual reasons to oppose that one.

And now a women is saying that parking will be too expensive for students. Won't somebody think of the children?
E: I think the women just made a dig against bicycles? I'm not even sure what her point was...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 25th, 2013, 9:37 am

They're aware that, if they win, that that won't make the Podium and the Book House come back, and won't save HoH, right? So they'll just have created a dead zone in their precious 4-block district, and the HoH owners will just sell to the next development company to come along?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 25th, 2013, 9:56 am

Damnit Goodman, the problem is UTEC not this. Where were all these people when UTEC was redeveloped? You could give HoH her rent for free and she still wouldn't make any money because she has to compete with CVS and whatever grocery store opens up across the street.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 25th, 2013, 10:04 am

And we're done with public comments.
I'm not down with commercial lease lingo, but it sounds like they'll be renting for the low $30s per square foot for 3 year leases. The current building rents for $22/sq ft for a 3 year lease. But the new building will have a mezzanine level in the rental spaces, which is basically free space because that doesn't factor into the square footage for rent costs. Goodman basically said waah waah why is it so expensive, I don't have a problem with capitalism, but capitalism is bad.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 25th, 2013, 10:07 am

^Any idea how flexible the total commercial space can be? By that I mean, ok yes $30/sqft is more but maybe equals out with the mezzanine space. But if the minimum floor space is determined by number of entry points and inflexible walls, some smaller firms won't be able to afford the total rent. That's where I'd like to see the developer add just a few more doors along the street to leave open the possibility for the 15' wide shop alongside the 50' wide shop.