Radius at 15th - (701 15th Avenue SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Silophant

Re: 15th Ave Student Housing - (15th Ave SE & 7th St SE)

Postby Silophant » November 1st, 2013, 1:59 pm

I wonder what happened to this project. The houses along 15th Ave have been boarded up since August, but the row of townhouses along 7th and 14th are still occupied. I wonder if CPM decided against this for now with the successful go-ahead on WaHu and their 700 Washington developments.
I've been wondering that myself. The houses on 15th are starting to look pretty bleak.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 29th, 2014, 6:01 pm

The houses and townhouses along 15th Avenue are still condemned and sitting. Looks kinda sad.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 18th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » April 19th, 2014, 6:38 pm

For those of us without expensive newspaper subscriptions, is there a timeline in the article?

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » April 24th, 2014, 2:16 am

Thought this was cancelled after CPM started work on WaHu, but it looks like it is back on track. Environmental remediation has been taking place the past week, and my girlfriend who lives on 8th St right near here got a notice in the mail today saying demo of the 20-some buildings will start Friday.

Here are the original site plans from the CPC Meeting back in June 2013 - http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 110086.pdf

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 24th, 2014, 7:01 am

The F&C article notes that while there are literally several thousand bedrooms coming online in Fall 2014, there is much less new product lined up for Fall 2015. In fact, it's just the two huge CPM projects: this one and WaHu (is that name really going to stick?). So while there will almost certainly be a glut of student housing by Fall 2015, these two will be the only new buildings hitting the market. The article also speculates that we're probably reaching the end of the student housing boom for now. Hence why Doran went with the hotel proposal and CPM isn't planning anything beyond these current massive projects.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 24th, 2014, 7:52 am

That makes sense to me, given that the University area is a limited market, unless it becomes an attraction option for non-students as well. Still, I wouldn't be floored if we saw one or two additional project trickle out of the woodwork, even if they are just proposals that never get built.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 24th, 2014, 9:55 am

Ever since my first years as a student on campus, I had always hoped that the neighborhoods nearby would attract a mix of students/staff and regular residents. I had failed to take into account just how huge the student and staff populations are (well, for a long time, I never really knew). It would take a ton of housing to begin to equalize the population.

But really, I'm not sure how many of these "student housing" projects really care if their tenants are students or not. There were older folks living in University Village when I was there. Much like "luxury", I think "student" housing is an unnecessary label/categorization.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 24th, 2014, 10:06 am

Ever since my first years as a student on campus, I had always hoped that the neighborhoods nearby would attract a mix of students/staff and regular residents. I had failed to take into account just how huge the student and staff populations are (well, for a long time, I never really knew). It would take a ton of housing to begin to equalize the population.

But really, I'm not sure how many of these "student housing" projects really care if their tenants are students or not. There were older folks living in University Village when I was there. Much like "luxury", I think "student" housing is an unnecessary label/categorization.
but aren't most of the units awkwardly formatted for anything but students sharing the space in most of these projects?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 24th, 2014, 10:33 am

The units are built as close to a rooming house as they legally can, with the nicest ones having 5 units opening onto a shared kitchen/laundry/living space. No non-student would want that, but I'm sure there are some saner studio/1 bdr/2 bdr units.

Also we should really just legalize rooming houses, because I think there's at least some demand for dorm style housing without living in a dorm.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 24th, 2014, 10:36 am

Isn't that what frat houses are for?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

sedluhs
Block E

Postby sedluhs » April 24th, 2014, 10:50 am

I wouldn't say "most" of the units are awkwardly formatted, or that they are as close to rooming houses as they can be. Sometimes they have student specific layouts such as 3 or 4 small bedrooms ... but not always.

My daughter lived in "The Edge on Oak", with 3 roommates. Their units are pretty standard apartment style stuff. They have a variety of Studio, 1 Bedroom, and 2 Bedroom floor-plans, and the common areas make sense for pretty much anyone. She lived in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit that any small family would be very comfortable in. The fact that they come "fully furnished" is about the only thing that tailors them to students. The same has been true for many of the other options she has looked at.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 24th, 2014, 10:52 am

I knew a lot of folks who were recent graduates (not from the U) and professionals who lived in Jefferson at Berry. Maybe that place had trouble filling up, or was so far from campus that it appealed to a different set. But it worked for them. Similar to groups of friends who rent 3 or 4 bedroom houses.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 24th, 2014, 11:09 am

I think the something that to me sets a "student" (or really just roommates, don't have to be students) versus a more family unit is the existence of a clear master bedroom. A lot of the student apartments have X bedrooms of equal size, whereas my apartment has a clear master bedroom that is bigger than the other bedroom, and also has its own master bathroom.

But looking at Floco fusion, which based on marketing I'd assume would be the "broiest" apartment complex, even they have some units with clear master bedrooms, so who knows. I will say though, it can be hard living with college students. I've got some college students that live below me, and I can easily tell when they're having a party. Not just through the floor below, but if I have the window open I can hear them, I can hear them going through the stairwell (which shares a wall with my living room) and their party deritus (beer bottles/cans, taco bell wrappers, vomit) can sometimes be found the next morning. I'm sure a modern apartment deals with the sound better (though not much can be done when you both have your windows open) but at a certain point it's just unpleasant to live with college students.

sedluhs
Block E

Postby sedluhs » April 24th, 2014, 1:14 pm

I agree FISHMANPET ... while DD's 2 bedroom unit in the Edge would suit a small family just fine, living next to all the college students in that setting would probably not.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 24th, 2014, 4:32 pm

I dunno. I think my most annoying neighbors have been the young kids of a family that lived below me. Many college students aren't very noisy, though certainly that age group is more likely to be rowdy than most others.

sedluhs
Block E

Postby sedluhs » April 24th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Mulad, I agree ... I'm not saying one is more annoying than the other ... just that they might not be happy together.

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » April 24th, 2014, 10:34 pm

mulad

Postby mulad » May 17th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Well, this is suddenly a big hole in the ground.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » May 20th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Here's a shot from the south side. Definitely a big hole. This is a pretty big site.

And from the opposite corner (looking across the site toward 15th & 7th)

Last edited by nBode on May 20th, 2014, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.