Radius at 15th - (701 15th Avenue SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Radius at 15th - (701 15th Avenue SE)

Postby lordmoke » May 3rd, 2013, 9:35 am

Found on the CPC CoW site. This sucker is huge- spans the whole block, 6 stories, 202 units. I guess CPM wants to get something underway while they wait on WaHu.

Plans:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 107773.pdf

MOD EDIT:
Website found: http://liveatradius15th.com/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: 15th Ave Student Housing (15th Ave SE & 7th St SE)

Postby mattaudio » May 3rd, 2013, 9:54 am

Eh. I realize this is student housing, but how hard would it be to create a little more active frontage on the street level? Especially on 15th St. Flagstone exteriors and shrubs look nice when not covered by snow half the year, but they don't draw active uses to the street.

I'd give up that setback in a minute if it meant giving the developer the extra square footage to create flexible leasable spaces along 15th. Between this and that U of M behemoth Morton building across the street, 15th would become quite the tunnel between Dinkytown and Como.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 3rd, 2013, 10:25 am

I agree, on a street with heavy bike/foot/bus traffic it would be great if the spaces interacted better.. It would also soften the effect with the practice facility, as you note.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » May 3rd, 2013, 10:42 am

Interesting, those townhomes at 7th & 14th are technically condos, although it looks like around half of them are owned by the same people or group of people.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 3rd, 2013, 11:26 am

Interesting, those townhomes at 7th & 14th are technically condos, although it looks like around half of them are owned by the same people or group of people.
I always thought these were very handsome units -- loved their prominent screen porches. They can't be very old -- bummer to see them coming down.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » May 3rd, 2013, 11:50 am

I don't know how I feel about this one. I'll be the first person to jump for joy when more density is added, but I feel developers are building this in the wrong place. I would like to see more activity along 4th and university. I feel as though Dinkytown should keep more of a neighborhood feel the farther you go away from the business district. Just my thoughts.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 3rd, 2013, 12:18 pm

I lived at 701 15th Ave for 2 years, right next to those townhomes. They are definitely nice, and face the street super well with the porches. I It is truly a bummer that this is the type of building going here instead of something much more incremental like what's happening just south of 7th (replacing those 3 houses). That one addresses the street much better as well. Or even the Dinkytown Rental 'Lodges' that have been going up seem like they fit the area as it is today a little better. I'm not sad about the density, and this may be a non-luxury apartment building that can charge $100-$200 less per BR/month than the stuff closer in, which would be good.

For the record, 701 15th Ave was occupies by a bunch of odd individuals while the landlord updated it the year prior to us moving in... they planted (field) corn in the small yard, so when we moved in we had about 50 x 10 ft stalks that the drunkards would swordfight with. We renamed the place the Corn Palace as such.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 3rd, 2013, 12:28 pm

I lived in 715 15th Ave for 3 years in college. Holding back tears right now. Absolutely loved that house, no matter how big of a shit hole it was.

RBY, I lived in 715 during that time, and our first year the older people planted the corn at your house. It was to sheild from the drug use from what I remember. Lot of drugs in that house.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 3rd, 2013, 12:40 pm

@go4guy - Yes, there was a LOT of drug use. We cleaned out the attic over the summer previous to moving in to reduce our rent a little and we interacted with the folks there quite a bit. We also had a couple people stop by looking for 'Captain Tony' for either a) their money or b) drugs.

We planted corn both springs we were there in their honor but the people who moved in after us failed to keep the tradition going.

I'll be sad to see 701 go as it was a great house for 10 dudes to live and party in but I also know plenty of people who had great times in apartments, not unlike myself when we moved to the apartment 5 blocks down the road.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 3rd, 2013, 1:41 pm

Yup. Couldnt beat the price and drinking beers on the porch. Great location too. Moved to 1301 my last year, and it just wasnt the same.

As far as retail in this project, this is an area that I dont think needs any retail. The retail hub of Dinkytown is close enough. Have a nice entrance, and the workout facilities with big windows and have big 1st floor windows for the units, and it will be good enough.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 3rd, 2013, 1:54 pm

I don't think Matt or myself were advocating for retail on ground level. Just better interaction. Matt noted the setback - if I were the city I'd give variance to allow them to build further out on the ground level. Imagine if this (http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 104912.pdf ) is how it interacted along 15th and then also on 7th. The units facing the street would be bigger by 7' and could have a front porch - the exact thing we all liked to sit on and have a beer. The units above them could have a bigger deck/patio to go out on. That's something you can charge extra for. It makes the building have a wider range of prices (a 4 BR on ground level is worth more than the 4th for that reason alone). And it makes walking along the sidewalk that much better.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 3rd, 2013, 5:10 pm

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 4th, 2013, 12:15 am

Couldn't find a better example of great street frontage in apartments in Minneapolis. I'm still butthurt for Lander Group and hoping their appeal is accepted.

St. Apolis
Block E

Postby St. Apolis » May 4th, 2013, 10:24 am

Those fiber-cement panels are especially brutal. I'd also like to see the massing broken up to diminish that 'monolithic square' look.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 9th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Daily article on the project, with some interesting interviews:
http://www.mndaily.com/news/campus/2013 ... evelopment

rcrades
Block E

Postby rcrades » May 9th, 2013, 8:04 pm

This is a working version of the link above:

http://www.mndaily.com/news/campus/2013 ... evelopment

The President of Marcy-Holmes wants it 20 stories with a setback.... This is from the Daily's article:

Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association President Doug Carlson said he would like to see some changes to the building’s design before plans move forward.

Developments that are mid-height and up to the sidewalk, he said, are more obtrusive. Carlson said he’s seen that kind of development and doesn’t want it in Marcy Holmes.

“You’re walking down canyons,” he said. “My preference would be to have a development that’s taller, maybe 20 stories high, but set back.”

Is this guy looking for a Chateau Round 2? Can't imagine CPM is looking to build anything like that in the first place but I think requesting they evaluate a 12 story building would be a little more reasonable...

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 29th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Story in MNDaily about students being forced to move out early to accommodate construction at this site. CPM hopes to start construction August 1st, and finish August 2014.

http://www.mndaily.com/news/metro-state ... t-students

twincitizen

Re: 15th Ave Student Housing - (15th Ave SE & 7th St SE)

Postby twincitizen » June 19th, 2013, 9:29 am

At the previous Planning Commission meeting, it looked like this proposal was delayed or "Continued" to the July 15 meeting. It now appears that has changed and this will be heard at the Monday, June 24 meeting. The Opus Dinkytown project will be heard at the same meeting. http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... S1P-110078

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » November 1st, 2013, 11:07 am

I wonder what happened to this project. The houses along 15th Ave have been boarded up since August, but the row of townhouses along 7th and 14th are still occupied. I wonder if CPM decided against this for now with the successful go-ahead on WaHu and their 700 Washington developments.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 1st, 2013, 12:52 pm

They better start digging. Winter is coming.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.