Surly Brewery - (Malcolm Avenue & 5th Street SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Surly Brewery Site

Postby Tyler » September 28th, 2012, 11:00 am

Towns!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 19th, 2012, 9:19 am

Some details about the proposal:
Surly Brewing a/k/a Malcolm Midway Site (520-522½-526½-543 Malcolm Ave. SE and 3171-3201 5th St. SE)
Projected DEED Request: $1,500,000
Projected Metropolitan Council TBRA Request: $550,000
Projected Hennepin County ERF Request: $450,000
Surly Brewing’s plans include an initial development phase that will feature a 50,000 square foot single story structure housing a new brewery (approx. 28,000 square feet) and a taproom with food service (approximately 9,000 square feet), plus administrative and retail space. Additional site improvements including an outdoor beer garden and possible recreation space are planned in the first phase. Site design will allow for potential future building growth estimated at 40,300 square feet, including expanded brewery operations and the possible addition of an expanded restaurant and an event center, on this 8.32 acre site. The projected total development cost is $23,515,000. Grant funds, if awarded, will be used primarily for soil remediation.
$2m in public financing? This better be the best damn beer I ever drank. *sip* You got lucky.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 19th, 2012, 9:39 am

$2m in public financing? This better be the best damn beer I ever drank. *sip* You got lucky.
Nice.

I tend to have a much lower threshold of judgement for these environmental clean up grants. Sooner or later, these sites need to get cleaned up, and if a little (or a lot) of public money kick starts the clean up, and at the same time adds some tax base, some density, some jobs, even some vitality as part of the deal, then I think that's money extremely well spent.

And, yes, if it allows Surly to keep making that good good stuff, then double plus good.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 22nd, 2012, 11:00 am

I agree. It's foolish to think that a new land user should have to pay for the mistakes of the old land user.... granted, in many cases, people buy land for lower prices due to needed remediation. But ultimately the previous business should have paid for remediation.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » October 26th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Yes, if we're stuck with the environmental damage regardless it makes a lot of sense for the public to pay for environmental remediation now, rather than letting it sit, and get this land back on the tax rolls and into active use. I don't think we should give direct subsidies for Surly to relocate; but covering the environmental remediation to redevelop an old industrial site in the Midway and bring active use just a couple blocks of the light rail is a definite win.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 18th, 2012, 12:44 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 18th, 2012, 12:05 pm

I haven't heard if they got the grant money, but this thing is further along than what is being reported. I know that they have already picked the developer and things are moving forward.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » December 18th, 2012, 12:18 pm

^^^Great to hear! All beer related comments aside, the owner is a great salesman and I can see him being very successful in their new location!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 9th, 2013, 11:42 pm

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » January 10th, 2013, 12:46 pm

From the article it sounds pretty likely that they will get the other 2 grants they are hoping for to get this site cleaned up and the brewery running.

versitalex
City Center

Postby versitalex » January 10th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Looks like they got the $1 million Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development grant as well. From JAN. 10 - DEED AWARDS FUNDING TO CLEAN UP POLLUTED SITES:
City of Minneapolis, Northern Star redevelopment site, $1 million
The city of Minneapolis is awarded $1 million in cleanup funding for this 7.46-acre site contaminated with petroleum and other pollutants. The site has had several commercial and industrial uses since the 1800s, but all structures have been demolished. The redevelopment will include 50,000 square feet of commercial space for a brewery and restaurant. The new development will create 67 jobs, retain 15 jobs, increase the city's tax base by $193,064 and leverage $19 million in private investment. The Metropolitan Council, Hennepin County and the developer will pay for remaining cleanup costs.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 2nd, 2013, 12:10 am

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 2nd, 2013, 9:34 am

This one's just a loan though, while the earlier $2MM allocations were grants.

$500,000 loan
Proposed use of TOD funds:
Clearing of remaining site structures and abandoned utilities and construction of public improvements

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 105886.pdf

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 2nd, 2013, 9:50 am

You know, I was having a discussion about Surly at the Twins game yesterday. I wonder if they are getting any kind of kickback from all the small taprooms that have opened up? They are only possible because of Surly's political efforts. Maybe approving these loans are a sort of "thanks" from the city.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » April 2nd, 2013, 10:21 am

Despite the fact the it was called 'The Surly Bill', we don't pass legislation for one business, nor was the law passed by the efforts of one business. Surly was a great poster child, but it turns out the craft brew crowd is not devoted to one brewery, but is instead committed to diversity and variety. Which must be why I keep seeing the Surly Nation drinking at Indeed.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 2nd, 2013, 12:53 pm

So you don't think that Omar Ansari had a BIG deal with getting that bill past? I seem to recall that Surly actually hired their own lobbyists and really lead the charge on it.

I think you're trying to put a twist on what I am saying. Not cool, Bro.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 2nd, 2013, 1:16 pm

I can tell you one thing, the longer Surly takes to get this show on the road, there will be more Indeeds, Fultons, and 612Brews that eat into their local market share. Granted, this Surly facility will be a different animal entirely, given that it will have a restaurant. Surly is already too big to sell growlers...they had to exit that market a long time ago.

If Surly pulled the weight on the taproom law to the benefit of smaller breweries/competitors, it's time for the Indeeds and Fultons to return the favor on the "growler law". Current law prohibits breweries over a certain volume from selling growlers...how messed up is that?

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » April 2nd, 2013, 1:54 pm

If Surly pulled the weight on the taproom law to the benefit of smaller breweries/competitors, it's time for the Indeeds and Fultons to return the favor on the "growler law". Current law prohibits breweries over a certain volume from selling growlers...how messed up is that?
I read that the growler law is very close to passing. It went to committee and barring any unforseen circumstances, the limit will go from 3,500 barrels to 20,000.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » April 2nd, 2013, 2:13 pm

Mamundsen, sorry to twist your meaning. I Reread my post and it seems a little unnecessarily sharp. There's no doubt that Omar used his image, money, customers, and sympathetic case to spearhead the successful effort to change one of our many asinine liquor laws. The point of my post was to highlight the community uprising that turned the bill from a businessman's longshot into signed law.

And the Surly destination brewery was only part of the promise of a new law. It was a catalyst for those breweries not yet conceived, to build a local tap room culture prevented by inane laws. By every indication the competing breweries since opened have been cooperative rather than adversarial. To call it the surly nation, unnecessarily puts one company's logo on something much bigger.

If there was one person who really made the Surly Bill happen, I'd nominate Minnesota Licensed Beverage Association lobbyist Frank Ball, who suggested Surly should open their brewery in Wisconsin when he said the following.

"Nothing is preventing him from going out and opening up a brewery in another state," Ball said. "This is Minnesota. These are the rules. If you want to come in and work within the parameters of this rule we will embrace him."

Hopefully, the growler bill will pass as well (thanks for the update Ubermoose). Indeed and Fulton will likely pass the limits soon, and leading that charge would be a great way to thank Surly for their legislative efforts.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 2nd, 2013, 2:37 pm

I was actually at a Twins game with Omar last summer, and I asked him about the competing breweries/taprooms. He mentioned that the players in the market are not necessarily competing at this point in the development of the market. He said that none of these craft brewers can keep up with demand (citing inputs in the supply chain as well as the obvious growth in demand) so it doesn't really matter to them.

Regarding the "Surly Bill" moniker, I'm not sure Surly chose to be the face of the movement. They were just a (relatively) established player in this brand new part of the market, and they already had their "destination brewery" plans. Lots of pols and boosters like R.T. were more likely responsible for the moniker.