Surly Brewery - (Malcolm Avenue & 5th Street SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Surly Brewery Site

Postby mamundsen » April 2nd, 2013, 2:47 pm

Viktor, Thanks. I agree that the new growler law would be a great way to keep improving the local growing economy. (read: craft brew market)

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » April 3rd, 2013, 6:56 am

what is the timeframe for this bill to be proposed?

Also, are they ever going to get rid of the blue law about no alcohol on sundays? It's 2013... c'mon.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 3rd, 2013, 11:47 am

This is the wrong place for a discussion about it, but here's a recap on the status of the Sunday liquor sales ban, and why it has been so difficult to change that. http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy ... ytime-soon

If anyone wants to start a thread for future discussion on that topic in "Anything Goes", be my guest.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 4th, 2013, 7:29 pm

I too wonder if Surly is coming into the tap room scene a little behind the wave now. I'm sure it will still do well, but it just seems like the lack of any concrete plans while other tap rooms and brewpubs are opening up elsewhere is kind of a buzzkill. Even if the Surly expansion doesn't open for a while, I think they'd benefit by having plans out for people to look at and get excited about.

Of course I might just be biased, as I'm more of the demographic that is drawn to the smaller tap rooms in Northeast whereas Surly will probably be more mainstream and attractive to older dad-types who might not fit in with the beards and flannel at Dangerous Man.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 15th, 2013, 2:42 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/203080331.html

It's officially official. Surly comes to Minneapolis.

versitalex
City Center

Postby versitalex » April 15th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Surly buys Mpls. site for "destination brewery":
It's official: Surly is coming to Minneapolis.

The Brooklyn Center-based craft brewer confirmed Monday afternoon that they had purchased a site in the Prospect Park neighborhood, where they will build their much-anticipated, $20 million "destination brewery."

The facility will be unlike anything in Minnesota, replete with a brewery, beer hall and beer garden. It was the primary driver of a 2011 law that allowed brewers to sell beer on-site, which has spurred a brewing revival in Minneapolis neighborhoods.

The 8.3 acre site is located at the corner of Malcolm Avenue and Fifth Street SE. It is just north of what will eventually become the Central Corridor light rail's "Westgate" station.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » April 15th, 2013, 3:18 pm

A great sight. Near the "U" and the light rail.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 15th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Great news. I'm glad to see this finally moving forward.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » April 16th, 2013, 7:40 am

hopefully they'll be smart enough to keep the grain elevators for advertising use:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=4 ... ,,0,-33.96

why is so much history torn down in minneapolis?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 16th, 2013, 9:25 am

What I like about this project is it creates a entertainment destination spot along the Green Line, which should attract ridership. As development along this LRT corridor evolves, it would be fun to see a few more projects like this happen.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 16th, 2013, 9:36 am

I must have used an incorrect address a few months back because I thought this was only going to be 1/2 block from University. It doesn't look like much of a "destination" to have a big investment. I wonder if the surrounding area will change a little.

I still would have LOVED to see this on the river in Minneapolis. Oh well.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » April 17th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Just a quick mention of Dangerous Man that I am visiting for the first time right now. I'm not sure I am allowed in here since I don't have a beard, stocking cap, and lumberjack shirt on.

Cedar
Block E

Postby Cedar » May 11th, 2013, 7:48 am

I must have used an incorrect address a few months back because I thought this was only going to be 1/2 block from University. It doesn't look like much of a "destination" to have a big investment. I wonder if the surrounding area will change a little.

I still would have LOVED to see this on the river in Minneapolis. Oh well.
I work in the area, and attended a walking tour of the neighborhood on Tuesday. The surrounding area is not set to change just a little -- it is set to change a LOT. We walked on some of those weird empty industrial roads back in there while our guides pointed out entire blocks that are set for massive redevelopment. I don't know what the status is of all these proposed buildings, but the plans were ambitious. Surly is still on the outer fringes, but it's a destination that will anchor that end of the neighborhood, and I think eventually it will all be filled in. It's really not from the 29th station -- just feels that way currently since the landscape is currently so industrial. But all that is set to change, and could potentially begin to change at rapid pace now that the Green Line is now nearing completion. All in all, I think it's an exciting location, and one that has tremendous potential.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 11th, 2013, 10:39 am

It is really the last track of land in Minneapolis that is ripe for development. Location is everything.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 14th, 2013, 9:17 am

Surly Brewing to open taproom in Brooklyn Center

http://www.startribune.com/business/211494111.html

(Don't worry, it's just temporary until the real one opens in Minneapolis)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 14th, 2013, 10:27 am

It is really the last track of land in Minneapolis that is ripe for development. Location is everything.
I'll skip the usual rant about Bassett Creek Valley. :)

There's a *huge* industrial wasteland around University and St. Anthony Pkwy that could make for some really good mixed-use development given its proximity to the river and connection to the Grand Rounds. It may not quite be "ripe" yet but I've long hoped it could be used for better purposes soon.

There's also still a bunch of light industrial in or near the North Loop that could be redeveloped. It's really not that different from what used to be along the Greenway in Uptown.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 14th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Surly Brewing to open taproom in Brooklyn Center

http://www.startribune.com/business/211494111.html

(Don't worry, it's just temporary until the real one opens in Minneapolis)
Lord. My heart almost stopped. Good one.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 20th, 2013, 7:42 am

i don't think this taproom is temporary. they will operate the one at the brooklyn center site and the one at the new mpls location.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » June 20th, 2013, 10:35 am

According to the article, they can only have 1 taproom open, so as soon as the new Brewery in Minneapolis is open, they have to shut down the Brooklyn Center taproom by law.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 20th, 2013, 11:17 am

Are they keeping the Brooklyn Park brewing facility even after opening the Minneapolis location? You'd think they'd try to consolidate everything in Minneapolis.