The Marshall - (515 14th Avenue Southeast)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
twincitizen

Re: UTEC Student Housing - (1313 Fifth Street Southeast)

Postby twincitizen » September 17th, 2012, 11:29 pm

I watched a little bit of the Planning Commission meeting out of curiosity, and the only thing people complained about was the loss of the surface parking lot. According to the owners of Kafe 421, Varsity Theater, and Loring Pasta Bar, Dinkytown is going to shrivel up and die without the parking lot. I guess we shall see.

The owner of Duffy's Pizza (1308 5th St) and adjacent parking lot (corner of 5th & 13th) spoke in favor of the project and mentioned that her pay parking lot is never at capacity.

One valid point that a lot of people brought up was the driveway of this new building would not line up with 13th Ave, but rather be askew just like the parking lot entrance is now.

Schiff knocked it out of the park by showing an image of the Dinkytown area and the abundance of surface parking, suggesting that there was a lack of shared parking.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 24th, 2012, 7:46 am

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 100003.pdf

This was amended to add some retail. Do you guys think this will get built? I guess I have my doubts.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 24th, 2012, 8:56 am

It's not the easiest to interpret, but was it also revised to have a walkway through where 13th should be?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 24th, 2012, 9:19 am

This was amended to add some retail. Do you guys think this will get built? I guess I have my doubts.
I guess what makes you think it won't be a "go"? It seems like lately when projects have detailed schematics of their building available for public viewing the projects seem to be a near-certainty. I guess the MASSIVE size of this project is the only red flag for me, but not a big one. I guess I have no reason to think this won't go through, unless neighborhood opposition gets in the way or the developers can't secure financing (or want huge tax breaks).

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 24th, 2012, 10:03 am

Neighborhood opposition? What neighborhood? I thought anyone who actually cared about that area left running and screaming years ago, leaving dilapidated student slums in their wake. The investors only care about top dollar with minimal regulation.

This project is still too big.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 25th, 2012, 12:01 am

I guess what makes you think it won't be a "go"? It seems like lately when projects have detailed schematics of their building available for public viewing the projects seem to be a near-certainty. I guess the MASSIVE size of this project is the only red flag for me, but not a big one. I guess I have no reason to think this won't go through, unless neighborhood opposition gets in the way or the developers can't secure financing (or want huge tax breaks).
It's just a really, really big project located in an area that will basically require the tenants to be students to some degree, by a developer I've never heard of before. Daniel Oberpriller of CPM mentioned in a Daily article today that a lot of what he's building will be able to be changed into non-student housing if the market demanded it. The stuff in Stadium Village and on the West Bank are in locations that will appeal to folks outside your average sophomore, but I dunno about this site. Maybe I'm being silly, but I sure hope they don't knock the school down and then get cold feet.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » October 31st, 2012, 3:44 pm

Article from MnDaily (10-31-12) about the project: increased parking, a public walkway, and changes to the commercial space.

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/10/31/commu ... utec-plans

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 31st, 2012, 4:18 pm

I think all of us can agree that the walkway is a necessity and great that the neighborhood was able to get that added in.

And did you guys catch this?
The developer plans to market it not only to University students but also to faculty, staff and other professionals who wish to live near campus.
Music to our ears?

I'm starting to feel better about this project now.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 31st, 2012, 4:37 pm

The developer plans to market it not only to University students but also to faculty, staff and other professionals who wish to live near campus.
Yeah? I'm marketing my basement as a sbulet to hot 18 year old coeds, but so far no takers.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 31st, 2012, 9:11 pm

A huge wooden building full of students with minimal sound-proofing, sounds like a professor's dream house.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 27th, 2012, 9:54 am

Depressing article containing the even more depressing news that UTEC comes down next month:
http://www.mndaily.com/2012/11/27/man-behind-dinkytown

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 27th, 2012, 10:06 am

So...does he want to ban new development and not allow anything but small business so the area can keep a "small town" feel? I don't see how else things could really stay the same. I'm sorry, I guess I think this article is kind of lame. It kind of seems like he is trying to blame new development for his leaving, when really he needs to take care of his mother, and he likes the country, and it's "sweet smell".

Don't get me wrong...I am all for independent businesses in the area...but this article is over romanticizing it, and the whole area.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » November 27th, 2012, 12:10 pm

I'd be interested in hearing what's happening to the 90 businesses currently in UTEC. Has anything been done to help them find new digs? How many are able to stay in Dinkytown? How many are headed elsewhere? How many will have to close doors because of being forced out?

I'm sad to see a bustling community of small business demolished and am very much hoping that a good part of it can be somehow maintained.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 27th, 2012, 12:18 pm

I personally can't think of any new developments that do a good job of incorporating "Ma and Pop" type of establishments and businesses. But I too would like to see that done well.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 27th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Small businesses? My experience with UTEC was MPIRG, Minnesota's wing of NPIRG, which was subject to a class-action lawsuit for working its employees 60 hours a week, no overtime.

If the rest of the "small businesses" are anything like that, well....good riddance.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » November 27th, 2012, 8:14 pm

I can add that my worst work experience was in that building at a place called Marketline Research. Ugh... that place was a sweatshop! Or, maybe I wasn't cut out for over-the-phone research ... or both.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 27th, 2012, 9:01 pm

^^^That's kinda what I mean. I wasn't under the impression that "mom and pop" own any bakeries or general stores in UTEC. If they do, it is waaaay out of my frame of reference.

Pretty sure it's a lot of marketing and sales things....maybe a few small political consultants. Maybe, *maybe* some tech guys. I don't think they add a lot to the Dinkytown experience (as far as the average person passing through is concerned), and I'm pretty sure they'll be just as successful in new digs...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 27th, 2012, 9:05 pm

I was speaking in generalities, not specifically about the UTEC site.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 27th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Sorry, I should clarify:

I wasn't really taking issue with your use of the term "ma and pa." I'm more taking issue with the guy profiled in the article and his idea that losing UTEC is going to really damage the community by driving small businesses out.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 27th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Isn't the U/city/state trying to promote the idea of a technology business park of some sort near the railyard? It's not their job to hold the hands of private businesses but you'd think someone would have maybe at least thrown a blurb out that Minneapolis wants to keep these jobs. I don't know what the "90" businesses in the building translates into in terms of jobs (seems like a ton for the building?) but I'm a little surprised no one from CPED or another organization has at least talked about it.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]