Northside - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Northside - News & General Topics

Postby SurlyLHT » April 22nd, 2021, 9:36 am

The strip mall here burned out a couple years ago. They're going to reopen and take the lot next door for parking and put some greenspace in front. There will be a tobacco shop, cell phone store and barber shop. Not the most exciting thing, but it's not a burned out building and is investment. This is just past Irving on W. Broadway. This block and the block to the East are boarded up. The block between Girard and IRving is going to get a decent sized mixed used building across from MPS's Davis Center. Then this will be rebuilt so this area shouldn't appear as blighted and hopefully the car wash gets sold and the rest of the space filled. Although I'm not sure how speculation from BLRT will affect timing.
Capture.JPG

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 3rd, 2021, 8:35 am

Plans for a mixed-use building at 1300 W Broadway (right at the start of the curve) called The Resolute have been submitted to the city. The city's application database says it would have 71 rental units and retail space for a barber shop, a day care, a bar, and a cafe. That could be pretty exciting.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 6th, 2021, 3:16 pm

This building is exciting. It's from Rise Modular, and looks nicer than the standard formula of what is built here.

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... wood%20Ave
Capture.JPG

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 7th, 2021, 7:58 am

I think that was also posted over on the Basset Creek Valley thread.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » May 7th, 2021, 6:58 pm

Really happy and excited to see the city and developers finally giving this area of Minneapolis some attention. Also glad to see them working closely with the neighborhood. So much history/character along Broadway. Such a shame it's been neglected so long.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 8th, 2021, 8:50 am

This project is not Broadway, it is the south side of Glenwood.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 14th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Per North News this is moving forward. The Olympic Pool used for the Olympic Trials in Omaha will be installed in the Northside in July. The Center it appears will have an additional pool and a running and biking track. (The pictures show people biking inside the building.) There may also be some climbing walls and other equipment. Erika Binger is leading this I believe. (3M/McKnight Foundation)

It will be interesting to see the packets for this.

If it is built in it's entirety I feel like it would be one of the largest indoor sports complexes in the cities. Is there anything else like this?

https://www.v3sports.org/the-v3-center/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 21st, 2021, 8:26 am

Adding 168 units to the proposal next to Bryn Mawr Elementary near Wirth/394

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... 20Blvd%20N

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 21st, 2021, 8:38 am

Also this thread, viewtopic.php?t=4373

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » October 14th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Plans for a mixed-use building at 1300 W Broadway (right at the start of the curve) called The Resolute have been submitted to the city. The city's application database says it would have 71 rental units and retail space for a barber shop, a day care, a bar, and a cafe. That could be pretty exciting.
This is now going before the CoW for feedback on some setback issues. (Packet). It is indeed pretty exciting.

Plans are for 71 housing units targeted at 50% AMI, 16 residential car parking spaces, and 71 residential bicycle parking spaces. The building would be seven stories high. It will have space for five businesses on the first and second floors; a hair salon, a barber shop, a small coffee shop, a small bar, and a daycare. The design uses fairly standard materials, but some nice thought has been given to the details at the Broadway and Girard corner.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 14th, 2021, 3:33 pm

This is now going before the CoW for feedback on some setback issues. (Packet). It is indeed pretty exciting.

Plans are for 71 housing units targeted at 50% AMI, 16 residential car parking spaces, and 71 residential bicycle parking spaces. The building would be seven stories high. It will have space for five businesses on the first and second floors; a hair salon, a barber shop, a small coffee shop, a small bar, and a daycare. The design uses fairly standard materials, but some nice thought has been given to the details at the Broadway and Girard corner.
CPED and the County own the lots to the West of here. Be nice to see a phase two at some point. These buildings are a blemish to the neighborhood and purposefully weren't included in these pictures.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » October 19th, 2021, 11:30 am

Merwin Liquors looking to leave their West Broadway store and potential new owners looking for a Great Streets loan to rehab the property. Great news. https://twitter.com/mcguirereports/stat ... 15812?s=20

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 19th, 2021, 12:02 pm

Merwin Liquors looking to leave their West Broadway store and potential new owners looking for a Great Streets loan to rehab the property. Great news. https://twitter.com/mcguirereports/stat ... 15812?s=20
We'll see what happens, sounds like there is a lot of work to be done. I also foresee lots of pushback at the new location. Honestly, they should just shut the store down. They have numerous other stores. The church next door is leading the push to buy it. Also, "Murder Station," as Northsiders call the gas station across the street also needs to close. Everything will just move across the street.

I used to go to the eatery which used to be here as a kid. I would love to see a family eatery here again.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » October 19th, 2021, 1:09 pm

Do you know if the church interested in expanding or just trying to get rid of the place? Not many places in the city Merwin can move to, wonder if they already have some sites in mind.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 19th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Sort of sad if the solution to northside violence is "close down all the stores where people can buy stuff on the northside".

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » October 19th, 2021, 1:42 pm

Closing down the stores wont solve the violence that occurs here. But new owners or a redevelopment might be able to change things.
W Broadway has a fair number of new developments either planned or under construction.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » October 19th, 2021, 1:46 pm

I don't live in the neighborhood but my read from friends and others who do is that nobody is particularly happy with Merwin in and have been wishing for its demise for ages.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 19th, 2021, 3:31 pm

I don't live in the neighborhood but my read from friends and others who do is that nobody is particularly happy with Merwin in and have been wishing for its demise for ages.
We have other liquor stores including Mickey's on Plymouth Ave and BLO on Penn and W. Broadway this one wouldn't be missed.

Residents do blame the businesses, the most ire is at the gas stations who residents see as permitting nefarious activities and many residents allege that they are in on the criminal activities somehow themselves. There is honestly a lot of anger. I know someone who's nephew was shot and killed a convenience store this summer. (One person told me because they are owned by persons of Middle-Eastern Descent they are like Switzerland and if an African American owned them they would be robbed and etc)

I don't understand how the city allows for them to continue, it would be good if there was some mechanism like there is with the clubs to shut them down.

I don't know exactly what Sanctuary Covenant is planning and suspect they are looking at several options. This might be a good place for OVP/MPD to have a place for the community to come to and to operate violence prevention and community outreach out of.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » March 16th, 2022, 3:35 pm

And now to the Planning Commission. Packet. No significant changes.

One of the most exciting projects in Minneapolis.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 17th, 2022, 8:24 am

Wow. What a project. More of these, please.
Towns!