Northside - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Northside - General Topics

Postby SurlyLHT » April 21st, 2020, 10:08 am

I hope something gets built that is an asset to the community and worthy of the site when the time comes. There are very few locations on the intersection of two major roads with freeway access this close to Downtown. (NE Mpls is also minutes away.) As long as there isn't anything atrocious like the storage place they're building down Washington Ave

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 21st, 2020, 11:37 am

I hope something gets built that is an asset to the community and worthy of the site when the time comes. There are very few locations on the intersection of two major roads with freeway access this close to Downtown. (NE Mpls is also minutes away.) As long as there isn't anything atrocious like the storage place they're building down Washington Ave
From the article, the developer seems to have a very good finger on the pulse of this area.

Here's another quote from him:
“Coloplast built that huge medical campus and I think that set the bar and set the standard of which I think will be an example of how this area will evolve,” he said.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 21st, 2020, 12:38 pm

It's interesting how this area is changing. The city wants to keep industry, but North Loop and other developments are encroaching. The pushback of the N 3rd St and 10th Ave N project, the development of the housing at Plymouth Ave N and W River Parkway. I also see more commercial business's moving into the area between the harbor project and North Loop.

Northern Metal is also on the southern half of the block. With them gone this will be worth more and maybe they'll buy that parcel

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 16th, 2020, 10:29 am

Proposal by Satori to fill a space on W Broadway where a building burned down a few years ago. I don't know what the status of the larger portion of their plans is. I don't recall seeing many proposals to fill in gaps on these old corridors. If he gets this built it will be interesting to see if any other proposals come. I'm especially interested to see what goes in BJ's location. I thought the unrest would deter people from wanting to move into the city. I guess we'll see.

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... ri%20Lofts

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 16th, 2020, 10:50 am

Zero lot line infill development. You truly love to see it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 30th, 2020, 7:47 am

Sherman is proposing two developments on the vacant parcels to the north side of the Broadway curve. Both will likely be approved. Ordinarily that'd be great news, but folks, these projects suck.

The less offensive of the two is on the northwestern half, which is an apartment with 72 units. Unfortunately that also includes 83 parking spaces and only 36 bicycle parking spaces. The streetfront is pretty awful because of the grade, it'll be nice to see this area get real sidewalks, but that's about the only benefit.

The other half of the project is a four building, twenty town-home development on the southeastern half. Instead of orienting the townhomes towards Broadway, they are oriented towards interior drives. Each sits above an interior garage, but if that wasn't enough parking, the entire center of the development is filled by an additional 21 space surface lot. The site plan notes that this will be screened by landscaping, but that's not much of a consolation.

Two extremely auto-oriented buildings, both with absolutely awful streetfront presence. This is a proposal for a suburban frontage road, not a major artery in the city. I know Broadway doesn't have the kind of transit service or continuous retail activity that it deserves, but my goodness is this low-effort proposal disrespectful to the Northside. It complies with the city's zoning, so it'll get approved, but man does it suck. Shame on Sherman.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 30th, 2020, 8:49 am

In relative fairness to Sherman, I can't imagine any developer staking their building on an entrance from Broadway when that street remains Hennepin County's absolute worst urban stroad.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 30th, 2020, 9:17 am

Honestly, it would be just nice to see something built along here considering not far away are burned out buildings. Also the Northside community is more car-centric than other parts of the city. You have to meet people where they are sometimes. (I know this sounds weird given all of the transit use, but around my neighborhood it's obvious that cars are their owners points of pride.)

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 30th, 2020, 11:05 am

The biggest issue, to me, is the suburban orientation of the townhomes. We have a lot of these type of projects in Philly, and they are absolutely awful for the streetscape. The surplus parking lot is a miserable addition to an already-bad model.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 30th, 2020, 11:27 am

Would one long rowhouse fit more units and be a better streetscape?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 30th, 2020, 1:17 pm

The biggest issue, to me, is the suburban orientation of the townhomes. We have a lot of these type of projects in Philly, and they are absolutely awful for the streetscape. The surplus parking lot is a miserable addition to an already-bad model.
They do look hideous!

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 30th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Would one long rowhouse fit more units and be a better streetscape?
I think it would absolutely make a better streetscape to have the buildings facing the street, versus facing inward at driving courts, and screened from the street.

The fit could certainly include more or less units, depending on the dimensions of the buildings, but certainly there's a lot of fat to be trimmed with the two parking spaces, one built-in, one on the surface, for each unit.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 11th, 2020, 9:37 am

The Community I live in is trying to stop a woman's shelter at the Gordon Center at Willard Park. Part of the objection is the local zoning of being in a residential area without the commercial zones near other shelters.
https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/Download ... Report.pdf
http://www.citypages.com/news/north-min ... /572070441
www.northsidecollectives.com

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » November 20th, 2020, 9:12 am

The Star Tribune had a nice article earlier this week about all the development/investment along Broadway, including the renovation of the Capri Theater. Nice to see.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 20th, 2020, 1:04 pm

The Star Tribune had a nice article earlier this week about all the development/investment along Broadway, including the renovation of the Capri Theater. Nice to see.
Might be a new street in a few years. They also resurfaced it recently which was nice.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Northside - News & General Topics

Postby seanrichardryan » April 11th, 2021, 11:08 am

NEON's big plans for strengthening North Minneapolis
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... polis.html
Among the nonprofit's goals, NEON wants to develop a business incubator building for food-focused entrepreneurs, distribute loans from a new fund to developers of color, and purchase its 1007 and 1011 W. Broadway Ave. headquarters. These moves could catalyze commercial activity and wealth generation on the northside...
...The network's planned 20,000-square-foot Food Entrepreneurship Incubation Center...The building would stand at 2110 23rd Ave. — currently a vacant parking lot between KMOJ 89.9 FM/NAZ and The Capri Theater — and would cost $1.5 million to develop, a third of which has already been raised, NEON said. The organization aims to break ground on the project in 2022.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 12th, 2021, 8:00 am

NEON's big plans for strengthening North Minneapolis
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... polis.html
Among the nonprofit's goals, NEON wants to develop a business incubator building for food-focused entrepreneurs, distribute loans from a new fund to developers of color, and purchase its 1007 and 1011 W. Broadway Ave. headquarters. These moves could catalyze commercial activity and wealth generation on the northside...
...The network's planned 20,000-square-foot Food Entrepreneurship Incubation Center...The building would stand at 2110 23rd Ave. — currently a vacant parking lot between KMOJ 89.9 FM/NAZ and The Capri Theater — and would cost $1.5 million to develop, a third of which has already been raised, NEON said. The organization aims to break ground on the project in 2022.
This might all go up in flames literally in the next few days. Hopefully not.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 12th, 2021, 9:32 am

What a gross comment.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » April 12th, 2021, 9:59 am

I agree. Not meant as a cancel, I just feel it could have been worded better.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 12th, 2021, 10:56 am

What a gross comment.
As someone who lives in the Northside and has contacted friends today about patrolling W. Broadway tonight, because we don't want to see it go up in flames...this is the truth. We can't afford more empty burned out buildings like we have. If W. Broadway goes up in flames again we'll lose needed momentum and deter investment.