Northside - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
QuietBlue
Target Field

Re: Northside - General Topics

Postby QuietBlue » December 6th, 2019, 1:52 pm

True, the geographic situations are different. But if they're going to restrict drive-throughs, it shouldn't just be because they're in areas where people will complain about them. Allowing it on W. Broadway would make it look like a business is getting a pass to do what they want just because they're on the Northside.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 6th, 2019, 2:11 pm

They both might be allowed because they're pre-existing driverthrus and BK hired themselves some lawyers already who are arguing the legalities.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 24th, 2020, 10:17 am

The MPHA is proposing a really exciting project at 1600 Penn Ave N. It's a site that (via Streetview) has been vacant since at least 2007, and sits about a quarter mile from C Line stops on Golden Valley and Plymouth. The proposed building will be an energy efficient triplex, with excellent insulation and solar panels on the roof. The units will be available at 30% AMI.

MPHA's submission says that they will be using this project as a pilot. I hope it is successful and can be quickly replicated all over the city, not just in North Minneapolis, but in wealthier areas in the Southwest. There are few things that would be better for the city than a boom of energy-efficient triplex projects.

Submission here: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... ve%20N.pdf

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » January 24th, 2020, 10:44 am

The MPHA is proposing a really exciting project at 1600 Penn Ave N. It's a site that (via Streetview) has been vacant since at least 2007, and sits about a quarter mile from C Line stops on Golden Valley and Plymouth. The proposed building will be an energy efficient triplex, with excellent insulation and solar panels on the roof. The units will be available at 30% AMI.

MPHA's submission says that they will be using this project as a pilot. I hope it is successful and can be quickly replicated all over the city, not just in North Minneapolis, but in wealthier areas in the Southwest. There are few things that would be better for the city than a boom of energy-efficient triplex projects.

Submission here: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... ve%20N.pdf
Affordable, sustainable triplexes all over the city would be great, but this one is pretty clearly designed specifically for a corner lot and requires rezoning from R1A up to R4. They might get it approved for this site, but if you want lots of triplex construction all over, then they will need to be "by right" developments.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 24th, 2020, 10:50 am

This corridor is slowly densifying with everything going up on on Broadway/Penn, Golden Valley/Pen and Plymouth/Penn. This is despite an increase in gun violence. The realtor's body was found in an alley a few blocks from this proposal and on 16th and Russell an SUV crashed with driver shot after a rolling gun battle during the tough month of Dec.The empty lots are also filling. on Thomas between 16th and Golden Valley two homes are going up and the basement is staked for a third. Weird how development and crime can co-exist.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » January 24th, 2020, 1:23 pm

Weird how development and crime can co-exist.
It's true, isn't it?

I've long suspected that frenetic news coverage of Crime™ is just a tool aimed at playing to the anxieties of a rich suburban demographic and/or inducing them to move farther and farther out to ever-more-unsustainable exurban distances. ("Oh my goodness, there was a shooting here in EDEN PRAIRIE the other day! That's not supposed to happen in OUR community!!1!11!!") The reality may be that 60-70% of urban crime traces back to known individuals playing out their beefs with one another -- but that narrative doesn't serve media sensationalism and keep eyes glued to the set for SUV ads.

This, of course, isn't to minimize the tragic impact of that crime on the families, friends, and communities of those involved. And even with known-individual crime, there is still bystander risk. But that's precisely why we have social and governmental institutions that take on crime as their mission. Irresponsible overstatement of the risk by parties with an axe to grind just further sucks life out of troubled areas.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 24th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Weird how development and crime can co-exist.
It's true, isn't it?

I've long suspected that frenetic news coverage of Crime™ is just a tool aimed at playing to the anxieties of a rich suburban demographic and/or inducing them to move farther and farther out to ever-more-unsustainable exurban distances. ("Oh my goodness, there was a shooting here in EDEN PRAIRIE the other day! That's not supposed to happen in OUR community!!1!11!!") The reality may be that 60-70% of urban crime traces back to known individuals playing out their beefs with one another -- but that narrative doesn't serve media sensationalism and keep eyes glued to the set for SUV ads.

This, of course, isn't to minimize the tragic impact of that crime on the families, friends, and communities of those involved. And even with known-individual crime, there is still bystander risk. But that's precisely why we have social and governmental institutions that take on crime as their mission. Irresponsible overstatement of the risk by parties with an axe to grind just further sucks life out of troubled areas.

I think it is a matter of future expectations and economics. Lower costs in the Northside and the expectation that crime will continue to decline lead to expectations that demand will continue for housing and etc. This is more acute in Harrison and etc.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 24th, 2020, 3:35 pm

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of how much of a percentage real estate ads (and maybe Center of the American Experiment ads, if my experience on StarTribune.com are anything to go by...) contribute to the dwindling pool of print news revenue.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 28th, 2020, 10:53 am

Decent sized apartment building proposed near future Blue Line in North: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... errace.pdf

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 28th, 2020, 11:55 am

I love how this abuts Olson Memorial, the open space now creates a huge void. It should also be noted that this is a block or so from the C Line stops. Related, I would love to see something done to make 55 easier to cross here. A lot of people are going to the school and Summit Academy. Olson cuts the neighborhood up so badly. (An aside, where did you find this report, I didn't see it where I usually find the reports on the city's site. Did they move them?)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 28th, 2020, 4:44 pm

It sounded like this was to be built to replace the townhouses just south of it. Is that correct? By being built on that strange open space along 55, there would be no displacement.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 28th, 2020, 4:49 pm

If I'm reading the packet correctly, this will be built to replace those townhouses, and then the residents of the townhouses will be moved into the new building before the townhouses are demolished, avoiding displacement. Which is great, but I don't understand why the townhouses are being demolished before there's a redevelopment proposal for that site. Like, leave them there instead of just moving the grassy field around.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 31st, 2020, 11:48 am

Bizjournals article about the project. Apparently the townhomes will be demolished because they're literally falling apart, with cracked and sloped foundations. The townhome development used to include the empty space where this new building will be going, but those were in such bad shape that they were demolished 45 years ago.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 7th, 2020, 10:24 am

The Burger King on W Broadway is going to reopen, their lawyers are asking for a variance for the drive-thru. This would be nice given how terrible the abandoned store looks.
Burger King restaurants will reopen with drive-thru lanes, despite Minneapolis ban

Guess they're having it their way.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 7th, 2020, 1:33 pm

The outcome sucks, but after listening a bit to the discussion yesterday, I'm mostly convinced that the alternative was a costly lawsuit defeat. While colloquially these properties were "abandoned," and as a result should've lost their grandfathered non-conforming status and come under the new drive-thru rules, I don't think the law would've seen it that way. Discretion being the better part of valor, I think the city made the right move here.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 10th, 2020, 2:00 pm

The Park Board has submitted an Planning Commission application to construct the overlook at the river's edge of N 26th Street.

Here is the packet.

To comply with the shoreland overlay [rolls eyes], the "beacon" part of the overlook design will be reduced in height from 50' to 35'. Who this serves is a complete mystery to me. I would've liked for the Park Board to ask to be exempted from that requirement (what is the purpose of a beacon if not to be seen?) but it appears that they have already acquiesced. This will be a very nice addition to the parks system nonetheless.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 10th, 2020, 2:28 pm

I agree about the beacon and the addition. I'll head over here when biking and running more often with this there. Also Farview park nearby has great views.
The Park Board has submitted an Planning Commission application to construct the overlook at the river's edge of N 26th Street.

Here is the packet.

To comply with the shoreland overlay [rolls eyes], the "beacon" part of the overlook design will be reduced in height from 50' to 35'. Who this serves is a complete mystery to me. I would've liked for the Park Board to ask to be exempted from that requirement (what is the purpose of a beacon if not to be seen?) but it appears that they have already acquiesced. This will be a very nice addition to the parks system nonetheless.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 14th, 2020, 9:52 pm

Decent sized apartment building proposed near future Blue Line in North: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... errace.pdf
Always good to see more density coming to this area, but I’m not a huge fan of the aesthetic’s. I think they could’ve done a better job adding a little more color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 21st, 2020, 8:14 am

It appears a neighboring developer Master Properties bought the strip club on the corner of W Broadway and Washington Ave N. I wasn't able read the article. From looking at the map it appears together they own the northern end of the lot. I doubt they will build anything soon, but I would like the strip club torn down rather than becoming a ragged eyesore. (Or maybe another restaurant or etc will want to lease the building. )

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... s_headline

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 21st, 2020, 8:53 am

It appears a neighboring developer Master Properties bought the strip club on the corner of W Broadway and Washington Ave N. I wasn't able read the article. From looking at the map it appears together they own the northern end of the lot. I doubt they will build anything soon, but I would like the strip club torn down rather than becoming a ragged eyesore. (Or maybe another restaurant or etc will want to lease the building. )

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... s_headline
It's a good article. They now own 1.1 acres and feel it's a prime location for office/commercial (which it is zoned under the 2040 City plan) due to it's location and transit/freeway access.

Snippets from the article:
“We have some ideas. It’s a prominent intersection, a gateway from both North and Northeast into the North Loop and it’s got great freeway access on an intersection with 55,000 cars a day,” he said.

The site is zoned industrial. The 2040 Plan calls for mixed use, though it is surrounded by areas that the city hopes to be for job creation and prohibits housing.

“Housing is really not in the 2040 plan for that specific area. It’s light manufacturing and office,” he said. “I support that because we need to keep jobs in the city and there are certain areas designated as such, and I think the city is wise to be true to be preserving those areas.”

“It will become an important area,” he said. “We are just a little ahead of the curve.”

This developer is the one that built the Rex 26 apartments with the Aldi at Lyndale & 26th and Pure Lowry at Lyndale & Franklin.