Northside - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Northside - General Topics

Postby SurlyLHT » July 23rd, 2019, 11:40 am

I live near Theo Wirth and it's starting to look like Southside on Plymouth Ave with people biking around with their kids as if they were going around Lake Harriet. I got passed the other day on my bike by a lady on an electric cargo bike who looked as if she was going to The Wedge. Not something you used to see in the Northside. With that said my 3 mile commute to work today included going past two places where there were gang slayings this year.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 23rd, 2019, 12:03 pm

This is really such a gorgeous neighborhood and essentially walking distance to downtown.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 23rd, 2019, 2:31 pm

There has been a pretty significant price premium in Harrison for a while now. I bet the average home goes for $30-40k more than on the other side of Olson, and very few seem to enter the market.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 30th, 2019, 1:25 pm

They're pile-driving at the project at Golden Valley and Penn Ave N

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 15th, 2019, 12:45 pm

It sounds like there may be a riverfront development planned for the Broadway Pizza site (Broadway Ave and W. River Road) - and apparently the restaurant is willing to give away the caboose on the corner if you're interested...

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: Northside - General Topics

Postby David Greene » August 15th, 2019, 2:13 pm

apparently the restaurant is willing to give away the caboose on the corner if you're interested...
ADU!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 16th, 2019, 10:36 am

It sounds like there may be a riverfront development planned for the Broadway Pizza site (Broadway Ave and W. River Road) - and apparently the restaurant is willing to give away the caboose on the corner if you're interested...
Any inkling what kind? There is so much bad light industrial (aka storage units and offices) in that stretch of the riverfront.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 16th, 2019, 11:18 am

In North News, the owners was talking about affordable housing and leaving a legacy. They also said that the building was old and somewhat of a burden.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 17th, 2019, 10:36 am

Thanks for the heads up, here's the article: https://mynorthnews.org/new-blog/2019/7 ... adwaypizza

Have y'all spent time at Broadway Pizza? The inside is really a trip.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 19th, 2019, 9:29 am

I could see developers maybe being really interested in this property, there are only so many lots along major roads and the river. The area to the west is pretty rough still though however.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 20th, 2019, 2:50 pm

This self storage is an abomination. It's placed between W Broadway and Plymouth along Washington/94. It's a shame that people heading toward North Loop would first see this. There should be something here that provides jobs and isn't a dead space.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 220832.pdf
Capture.JPG

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 24th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Re: the Heritage Park / Sumner Field area, it seems like there are quite a few lots that were intended to be developed that have never been built out. Is there a reason that these lots are still sitting empty?

See, for example:

https://goo.gl/maps/G8pPdUKWSCnQQGtw8

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 24th, 2019, 12:16 pm

They are owned by the HRA, but there has not been great developer interest for what the HRA wants built.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 24th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Suspected as much.

So, maybe it's time for the HRA to modify their master plan, if these shovel-ready lots have been sitting untouched through one of the largest housing construction booms Minneapolis has seen in decades?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 24th, 2019, 3:09 pm

I'll like to see some market rate apartments here. Otherwise the City of Lakes Land Trust is looking at apartment cooperatives. Give them the land and etc

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 5th, 2019, 4:09 pm

The Burger King on W Broadway is going to reopen, their lawyers are asking for a variance for the drive-thru. This would be nice given how terrible the abandoned store looks.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 5th, 2019, 4:56 pm

(Just saw the same for the BK on Nicollet.)

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 5th, 2019, 5:36 pm

In the Broadway one they talk about how the Franchise filed for bankruptcy and that's how the eyesore was created and they have a new franshisee. The Nicollet location has a number letters like the one below and lots of venting about not wanting fast food and drive thrus. Both locations are in areas which don't need the additional traffic.

Mr. Frenz,
I received notification of the attempt by Burger King Corporation to re‐open the eyesore at 34th and Nicollet. I live at
3310 nicollet. I had to endure the blue black smoke, the smell of grease, the noisy patrons, the traffic congestion and
the extra trash. That restaurant was so filthy and Burger King corporation let it operate that way. I say NO to Burger
King. It takes so many dedicated people to improve a neighborhood. I think the city has put so much into our
neighborhood it would be “just awful” if we went backwards on this one

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 6th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Whether they allow it or not, they should do the same for both.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 6th, 2019, 12:25 pm

That's the problem. The W. Broadway location has a McDonalds with a drivethru on the next block and is better serviced by surrounding streets. (Bryant has capacity and 21st acts like a service road to W. Broadway in some ways.) Versus the Southside location isn't as well serviced by adjacent streets and doesn't need the additional traffic.