Nord Haus - 315 1st Ave NE (208' - 20 Stories)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Superior Plating site

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 13th, 2014, 10:00 am

Yeah I also don't see two towers, and I was trying to trick my eyes into believing the one pictured was actually two towers REALLY close together! I personally worry that this will be done in two phases -- like the reporter mentions -- but two phases VERY long apart (i.e. never), kind of like Calhoun Tower(s), Edina Tower(s), Thrivant Financial tower(s), etc.....which is why we're only seeing the one tower.

P.S. I don't like the design at all, but I wasn't expecting much here in terms of aesthetics, and am just hoping for a great knit into the urban fabric.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 13th, 2014, 10:40 am

A great improvement over the previous proposal of stick apartments. Will have a much better impact on the neighborhood with long term benefit.
On that note, did anyone outside of Jacob Frey and a few neighborhood group members ever see DLC's rejected "500-unit/6-story" proposal? Local media never got around to sharing renderings.

So the neighborhood and Mr. Frey wanted "more density", but they don't appear to be getting it...this proposal has 450 units. The building(s) might be taller, sure, but there is no real difference between "Elan of NE" or two taller buildings. The only meaningful impact that will have on the neighborhood is possibly influencing taller buildings in the area down the road. I'm cool with that, but there is effectively no real difference on this site. I'm glad that they pushed for more, architecturally speaking, but their hard-line comments about density really implied that 500 units were not enough.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 13th, 2014, 1:49 pm

University Ave frontage appears to be above-ground parking, which is fine. Considering the grade / bridge and speed of car/truck travel here, it's not like that was ever going to have meaningful urban frontage:
It's interesting you say that given the fairly high quality frontage on the other side of University almost all the way to the bridge. Yes, the sidewalk sucks and the traffic is fast, but that could be changed. In 2013, this exact section of University saw under 15k vehicles per day, with an SB AM peak hour count of 1310 being the max. At 50' curb to curb, I feel like a 4-3 could be done with parking on each side (and extend this up University). 8.5' parking on each side, 11' lanes/turning lanes. No bike accommodations would be sad, but not overly necessary given 5th St and Main/Marshall right there.

Obviously, if the grade and site needs make the parking here a must for the developer, I guess it's not overly terrible. But slowing the cars down on the rail crossing bridge would go a huge way toward making this place more habitable.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 13th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Pretty much the same story as KSTP.

Lennar details plans for 17-story towers on Northeast Minneapolis' Superior Plating site

Looking forward to hearing more details!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 13th, 2014, 3:01 pm

University Ave frontage appears to be above-ground parking, which is fine.
My read of the admittedly sketchy sketch is that those are walk-up townhouses facing University.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 13th, 2014, 3:32 pm

^^I think MNdible is right. Looks like blocks of grass with individual walkways leading in. This would be really nice if true.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » November 13th, 2014, 8:04 pm

On that note, did anyone outside of Jacob Frey and a few neighborhood group members ever see DLC's rejected "500-unit/6-story" proposal? Local media never got around to sharing renderings.
Are you sure? I feel like there was a vague rendering floating around while it was in the news. I'm recalling a long building along 1st that bridged the 4th ROW... but I could just be confused. (My memory is actually really horrible. )

uncle phil
Metrodome

Postby uncle phil » November 13th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Those could be townhomes...at least those would fit well with the townhomes on the other side of University. I would feel sorry for those residents if it turned out to be a parking garage across the street from their units though and that was their permanent view.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 13th, 2014, 11:04 pm

Finally, Strib's got something, including a colorful new Jacob Frey quote: http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 58751.html

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 13th, 2014, 11:42 pm

At least 450 units and at least 17 stories. Encouraging.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

GrowMPLS

Postby GrowMPLS » November 14th, 2014, 6:57 am

Finally, Strib's got something, including a colorful new Jacob Frey quote: http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 58751.html
If they are starting with one tower and the other contingent on "market conditions" then I feel then they should commit to a 25 story tower to ensure the density the neighborhood is looking for.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 14th, 2014, 10:13 am

Honestly, I wasn't so concerned about the total number of units as I was about the big-dumb-massing that a six-stick two-block BKV-decorated project was going to have. If they have the same number (or even fewer) units with a much higher quality massing, I think that's a winning trade-off.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » November 14th, 2014, 10:14 am

I think the 17-story tower is adequate for now. Something of this scale would be nice on the block where Surdyk's currently is, whenever that could ever be developed (I assume a very long time).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

The two banks between 1st and Hennepin are also ripe for redevelopment with towers. Maybe mixed use projects led by the banks?

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » November 14th, 2014, 10:49 am

I think the 17-story tower is adequate for now. Something of this scale would be nice on the block where Surdyk's currently is, whenever that could ever be developed (I assume a very long time).
Would be awesome to see the Surdyk's site redeveloped with a brand new Surdyk's as the anchor. I wonder if they would go for that if approached by a developer.

This part of town has always been one of my favorites and it's really continuing with this tower and the Alatus tower as well! I have a feeling it's about to become the next uptown as far as unit prices go.

TTT
Metrodome

Postby TTT » November 14th, 2014, 10:52 am

Sounds like they have until 1/7/15 to purchase the land if I'm not mistaken - we'll see if/when that happens and if it is before that. Would be interesting to know how soon anything might happen given the contaminated land.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 14th, 2014, 11:02 am

I have no problem with a 17 story tower first and if they fill fast they can do a 25 story for the second tower. I'd prefer two different sized towers to having a pair of twins in height. It is also getting the street level to have maximum impact in design and walkability that matters more to me. Here we have already established walkable areas to the north and south that need to have the missing link filled in. I hope that this happens.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 15th, 2014, 3:54 pm

8. Car repair parcel – Apparently, Lennar will not be pursuing acquisition of the parcel, at least at this time; you show this corner removed from the overall SP site in all drawings and photographs. Yet, you show it a green space (park land?) of some drawings. What is your real idea for this parcel? If it were to remain in car repair use, what affect would this have on the overall project and on Block 13 in particular?
http://www.niebna.com/docs/sptg5/SPTG5% ... Points.pdf

TTT
Metrodome

Postby TTT » November 17th, 2014, 9:53 am

Wow:

"In recent years there have been some developments in which the parking is built
above ground – the results are not pleasing to the eye. For example, the recently
built LPM high-rise in Loring Park has a nice street level, great presence in the sky,
but the parking garage on stories 2 – 5 is a real downer. Kind of like wearing army
boots to a formal dance – it works after a fashion, but is inelegant, does not match
the tuxedo and does not promote graceful waltzing."

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 17th, 2014, 10:03 am

Wow:

"In recent years there have been some developments in which the parking is built
above ground – the results are not pleasing to the eye. For example, the recently
built LPM high-rise in Loring Park has a nice street level, great presence in the sky,
but the parking garage on stories 2 – 5 is a real downer. Kind of like wearing army
boots to a formal dance – it works after a fashion, but is inelegant, does not match
the tuxedo and does not promote graceful waltzing."
Can I just say again how envious I am that this area has a local government with such vision? NIEBNA for Urbanists of the Year!