Nord Haus - 315 1st Ave NE (208' - 20 Stories)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
trigonalmayhem

Re: Superior Plating site

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 10th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Do they need to go 40 and never yield to pedestrians when turning? If you build a surface street like a highway that's how people will drive on it. I'm not proposing we ban cars (at least not yet), but your time and life aren't automatically worth more when you get behind the wheel. If you want or need to drive through dense urban areas you should expect it to be slower because you're not the only game in town like in the burbs. Traffic is a sign of desirability and doing everything you can to eliminate it and speed up cars destroys the desirability of the places in the process.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 10th, 2015, 8:22 pm

If you don't think the condition of the street a building is going to be constructed next to has any bearing on the project, just ... wow. I know you just hate me and any time I bring up pedestrian safety issues but this is very relevant to the development and quite on-topic.
Well, personally I just hate that you bring it up in every. single. thread.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 10th, 2015, 9:02 pm

And especially when you're preaching to the choir, you don't need to convince us that the area needs better pedestrian facilities. We know the city needs it in A LOT of places. This thread is about the building, there are plenty of threads about the roads and the streetcar and the area. It's important, but your telling the echo chamber.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 11th, 2015, 10:34 am

Maybe at 11 mph through an idyllic coffee shop/woven goods woonerf for 3 miles?
Sounds like you figured it out.

I don't think suggesting that the area resemble other parts of the city more than it currently does is asking a whole lot.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 11th, 2015, 10:48 am

The stretch of 1st Ave NE from Hennepin to Main Street (east channel of the river) is less than a half mile. I'd say it's completely reasonable for people to drive at 20 MPH or less for a half mile through immensely valuable real estate.

Also, I would guess that the current average speed on that stretch, 5.5 blocks with 5 stoplights, is not much higher than 11 MPH. Certainly less than 25 MPH. Even though the max speed limit is 30 MPH and people often drive much faster. So, wouldn't it make sense to close the gap between average speed and maximum speed? It would allow motorists to pass through these blocks just as fast while making huge livability/wealth-creation gains for the local land use and decreasing the chance of death by car from near-certain to near-impossible.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 11th, 2015, 1:50 pm

They have the choice to retime the lights so that car have to stop and set. The draw back to that is it increases the levels of air pollution in the area. So you can either be hit by a vehicle, or slowly die from exhaust that will kill your lungs? So you then have a pollution problem. There is no real trade off other than that. You could put the speed limit to 15 and people are going to go what they want to. That is a given on a street, highway, or interstate, it is just the human nature. Now can we deal with the building and take this to transportation if you want to chew on it some more. This subject has been driven off a cliff 5-6 times too many now

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 11th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Nothing is preventing you from talking about the building. There's not really any news regarding it other than the grant that spurred the conversation about the pedestrian safety of the area, though. But there is really absolutely nothing at all about the conversation happening here preventing you from discussing the building. This is not an either/or problem. There's not a finite amount of internets that we're using up talking about the street that will run out when you have something to say about the building.

You're just trying to shut down people talking about an aspect of the development (because the physical environment around the project is most certainly relevant) because you're tired of reading about something. Here's an idea: just ignore us. If it's too hard to do on your own I'm pretty sure you can actually block seeing our posts. But I'm sick of being shushed because someone isn't in the mood to talk about any part of a project other than their favorite part. I don't yell at anyone to shut up when they're analyzing the minute details of the color and material used on the window trim, and I'd prefer the same when discussing the implications of constructing a luxury apartment building with pedestrian trimmings on a dangerous road.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 11th, 2015, 4:45 pm

The thing you're missing is that it is astonishingly easy for you to make everyone happy: make a thread for the "St. Anthony Area Pedestrian Environment" and rant about 1st Ave NE there. Anyone who's interested in talking about it will, doubtless, be just as happy to discuss it with you there.

This thread isn't about 1st Ave! It isn't about how much you hate everything about Minneapolis! It's for a building and a plot of land. Given how easy it would be for you to respect that, why do you have to be a stick in the mud about it?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 11th, 2015, 4:53 pm

I think there are actually already 2 or 3 existing threads applicable to what you're talking about. I just don't want to have to listen to the same rant in all of the threads, just because you're typing doesn't mean you're the first to type it.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 11th, 2015, 5:31 pm

So everything has to go in a tidy little cordoned-off box for you to be happy? Are we going to wikipedia this up and have links back and forth between threads if there's something that's relevant to a discussion but you think it belongs in a different thread? You're arguing about organizational minutae. People telling me to shut up happens enough maybe you need a thread to do that in specifically? Then you can link to that thread whenever you want me to shut up, how's that sound?

Not everything in the world fits neatly in a single box. There's going to be overlap and common themes. Life and the world we live in are messy like that. I'm sorry if you don't think pedestrian safety is relevant to high-density development, but I disagree. That's why it continues to come up, because it continues to be a relevant issue. Maybe you could stop obsessing over your personal taste in building material in every thread and make a thread about building materials and only ever talk about building materials in that thread, how about that? Yeah, I think that's dumb too.

Seriously this is a message board to discuss things, not an obsessively-organized catalogue of information. If you need everything to be that organized start a wiki for local development information. I'm an extremely obsessive organizer and even I don't get it, unless it's just a ploy to get me to shut up.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 11th, 2015, 9:15 pm

Time to lock this thread as some can't understand what this thread is about.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » December 11th, 2015, 10:28 pm

I don't think that will solve the core of the problem.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 11th, 2015, 10:56 pm

The interaction of the street and the land use of this site seems rather topical. But I think we can be topical in a slightly less abrasive way, for both sides.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 14th, 2016, 2:03 am

The article I posted in the alatus thread said preliminary work was happening on site here.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 20th, 2016, 11:33 am

Digging on site right now!!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 20th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Digging on site right now!!
Hopefully that is a sign that this is finally breaking ground to be built and not just decontaminated..

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 21st, 2016, 10:59 am

The equipment that is on-site is small eqiupment. I highly doubt this is for any kind of ground breaking. You'd need some pretty big toys to break up the foundations and tear everything out. I think it is still part of the abatement project.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 21st, 2016, 12:48 pm

There were 2 excavators on site when I passed yesterday.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 21st, 2016, 2:15 pm

Both excavators were moving today. Starting to tear up the northeast side where 4th st used to be.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 21st, 2016, 2:20 pm

Aren't portions of this site scraped down to the bedrock already from the cleanup? Seems like there should be less excavation than normal.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]