Stadium Village

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
John21
Rice Park

Re: Stadium Village

Postby John21 » June 27th, 2018, 6:52 pm

I can’t tell, is that related to that cool proposal United had a couple years ago for the Days Inn land?

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 28th, 2018, 1:49 pm

I would guess that this is more or less an extension of that plan but who knows. I'm pretty sure there was something about that plan in a regents board packet a few months ago other than that who knows if it's still a thing

JDsemblance
Block E

Postby JDsemblance » June 29th, 2018, 12:02 pm

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2018/06/ ... ighborhood

The people from VISUS, like Champeau, are from United Properties, I believe. Plans are still very up in the air.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » July 31st, 2018, 7:06 am

825 SE Washington Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55414

Did someone buy this building? CorePower Yoga closed the Stadium Village location in this building on Monday. It wasn't a huge money making studio but CPY owns the yoga scene here. During the school year the place was actually pretty busy. They have been around for about 10 years at this location so I am surprised to see them go.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » July 31st, 2018, 7:35 am

825 SE Washington Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55414

Did someone buy this building? CorePower Yoga closed the Stadium Village location in this building on Monday. It wasn't a huge money making studio but CPY owns the yoga scene here. During the school year the place was actually pretty busy. They have been around for about 10 years at this location so I am surprised to see them go.
I'd actually pretty disappointed to see this building go. This one and Stub and Herbs keep this area from feeling sterile.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » February 21st, 2020, 9:10 am

New details on the Stadium Village plans from the U
https://www.mndaily.com/article/2020/01 ... pment-plan

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 21st, 2020, 9:26 am

Is there some sort of classification distinguishing dense neighborhoods for statistical purposes? Seems like we're getting a number of additional almost Downtown like areas such as North East Mpls, U of M and of course Downtown St Paul. It would be nice to compare and contrast them over time.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 21st, 2020, 10:30 am

New details on the Stadium Village plans from the U
https://www.mndaily.com/article/2020/01 ... pment-plan
We discussed this a month ago over in the Re: University of Minnesota - General Topics thread.

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Postby MinneapBliss » July 10th, 2020, 1:33 pm

A couple photos of progress over at SE 26th and Essex:
IMG_20200710_131956 (002).jpg
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » July 11th, 2020, 10:03 am

A couple photos of progress over at SE 26th and Essex:

IMG_20200710_131956 (002).jpg
It’ll be rough if no students show up this fall to fill up these and other places.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 26th, 2020, 11:14 am

Very much hypothetical here but I was thinking, if the U ever did decide to raze the Barn and build a new basketball arena / sports pavilion, where would you put it?

The existing Barn location doesn't bother me, to be sure, but driving by yesterday I got to thinking about how big of a project that would be, and about the potential opportunities it would create. Do you rebuild on the same site? Or do you move it somewhere out of the way, like in one of the parking lots behind the football stadium or behind the hockey arenas?

There is a certain amount of synergy in having the Barn in its current location, close to other big-event infrastructure and walkable from campus, whereas the parking lot options would be kind of isolated. Though it'd probably be OK to have a big, rarely-used sports arena a little out of the way, especially if you could reclaim the current location for a big green space or something.

Moving the fieldhouse would be a bigger win for the area. It's so big and windowless right in the heart of campus. I don't recall ever hearing that discussed though?

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 26th, 2020, 12:32 pm

First, I would hope and assume that they would never tear down Williams Arena. That place is perfect for college basketball.

If it were to get rebuilt, I would think there is plenty of room on that site. The building could be extended out on the University Ave side, which would allow enough room for larger concourses on both sides. Universities have realized from the arenas put up in the 90's at Wisconsin, Ohio State and Penn State that the NBA style arena is terrible for college, so it would be a more compact site than your typical NBA arena. None of the lots surrounding TCF Bank Stadium are large enough to allow an arena, and most are already saved for research buildings anyways. If they were to ever replace Williams Arena, I think they would do it at the same site and play at Mariucci for a season. But again, I hope they never tear down Williams Arena.

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » August 26th, 2020, 12:35 pm

I can't find the document anymore but about 10 years ago the University had a list of several buildings marked for removal if the opportunity and funding came up due to high maintenance costs. I am pretty sure the fieldhouse was on there but since they just spent a bunch of money remodeling it I'm guessing it is staying put for a while. https://www.startribune.com/u-of-m-s-fi ... 487434441/

As far as the Barn I always figured with its age and history it would stay and be repurposed even if they build a new arena somewhere. I always figured if a new arena went in it would end up either where the parking lots across 5th from Mariucci are or on one of the lots over by the rec sports bubble at 25th Ave and 6th St.

As an alumni, fan and employee though I hope they seriously explore renovating the Barn rather than replacing it though.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 12th, 2023, 9:51 am

The U wants their teaching hospital back as part of expanding the medical center campus.

https://www.startribune.com/university- ... 600242872/