Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Re: Northeast - General Topics

Postby MSPtoMKE » May 1st, 2014, 9:25 am

It's every half hour in NE Minneapolis...
My flickr photos.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » May 12th, 2014, 6:16 pm

If the lot across the theatre was to be built on with just a handful of storefronts it would basically double the number of destinations currently there. Hopefully sooner than later. And yea, the #4 stretch up there rather sucks for residents near Johnson who I guess Metro Transit expects to walk the dozen of (very short) blocks west to Central if they want decent bus service (an 11 minute walk).

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 21st, 2014, 8:09 am

http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy ... quor-store

This is kind of interesting. I can only assume the full council is going to approve it. It's a shame that the corner isn't getting something better, but you can't really deny a liquor store when it conforms to our overly-restrictive store spacing requirements, just because you don't want another liquor store in the neighborhood.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 21st, 2014, 8:33 am

If only we were more concerned about the giant parking lots in the neighborhood. We can live with good enough urbanism as things fill in - then there will be more market demand for a higher and better use.

nerdljos
City Center

Postby nerdljos » June 11th, 2014, 4:45 pm

One of the distressing things I've found living in NE (near to University and 22nd-- wondering if I know FISHMANPET's friend now) is how isolated it feels up there. My uptown hipster friends will not visit, and freedom is entirely dependent on good busses and good biking to make up for the lack of good busses.

In the winter, the busses are horrible because of snow accumulation and the fact that they often go down roads that just aren't wide enough. The routes are spaced far apart in space and frequency, that often if you miss one in the middle of the day, you're out of luck for the next half hour, because the next route over is too far to walk to in time, or running on the same schedule anyway. The exception to that is the 10, which is actually high frequency always, but for me it's too far of a walk to be of any use. This is a huge problem when busses are chronically late and unpredictable in the winter months, and they occasionally just get stuck in ice entirely.

In the summer though, the area is fantastic with a bike, and there are tons of bike boulevards and a couple traffic lights have a bike specific phase of the light cycle. But, this isn't good for everyone. The friendly old man who accompanies me at bus stops, and walks with a cane, is not helped out by a bike. In winter, poor shoveling and road conditions sets him back.

The general problem seems to be that the residentialness of a vast chunk of northeast assumes you have a car, and this is a disadvantage to younger renters and older people.

I agree that cutting down on the urban highway factor of the larger streets would help-- and some more planning needs to go into how bus routes are positioned and if their paths are actually ideal for winter and summer conditions.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » June 12th, 2014, 1:52 pm

I agree that Northeast is very bikeable, but much less walkable or busable.

And it does feel kind of isolated from the rest of the city, even though much of it is less than a 20 minute bike or bus ride from downtown.

In some ways, Northeast feels like a small town. Many residents have lived in their houses for decades. My neighbors all know and look out for each other. Northeast bars like Knight Cap, Vegas Lounge, Moose on Monroe, Dusty's, etc would be right at home in any small Minnesota town with their meat raffles and karokee.

Yet, despite this unpretentious family friendly environment, Northeast still offers a co-op, foodie restaurants, authentic ethnic restaurants, communities of artists, and breweries with tap rooms popping up everywhere. It's like a small town environment without the bland deep-fried food and beer selection limited to the piss-colored factory variety. What's not to like?

To each their own, but it only takes me a couple hours in Uptown, before wanting to get back to Northeast. I'm not saying Uptown is a suburb of Edina, it just sometimes feels that way...

I do wonder if my wife, who's from a small MN town, feels more at home in Northeast beacuse of the working class, small town, drivable, aspects of the this part of the city.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 12th, 2014, 11:34 pm

Watched this story on mute tonight at Lyle's - http://m.kstp.com/article.html#!/57601/ ... 16a482479c
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » June 13th, 2014, 6:36 am

Wow, Nicollet Island East Bank Neighborhood Association is in the running for urbanism MVP. Pushing for more density at the Superior Plating site and converting one-ways to two-ways. Good stuff.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 10th, 2014, 6:54 pm

I never understood why there aren't even sharrows in the right hand lanes on roads like these or Lowry/Broadway/Lyndale/etc. If we're supposed to be #1 then there should be bike infrastructure (not matter how feeble) on every major road. Good to see they want something meaningful to happen here. There are tons of examples of one-ways and two-ways co-existing peacefully, so that's no excuse for not converting the one-ways partially in Old St Anthony.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 10th, 2014, 7:28 pm

The biggest reason is they are state/county roads and not MPLS streets. The state/county would not allow that and with the heavy traffic it would not be in the state/county's best interest to have bicyclist struck and killed on their busy roads. Can you spell lawsuit! Hope that answers your question so we don't need to think about it again. Your question has been answered many time before on here, but people still think that a state/county highway is just some MPLS city street for some reason. Check out a few maps and you will see what I'm talking about.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 12th, 2014, 8:35 am

This is a pretty small parcel. I'd be surprised to see anything more substantial proposed anytime soon. As Michael Rainville alleges in the article ("we had a coffee shop that wanted to go in there eight years ago and the do-gooders who didn’t like the liquor store didn’t like the coffee shop either"), the BANANAs are still winning out in the St Anthony West NO.
http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/ne ... d-marshall
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » July 12th, 2014, 8:51 am

The Krause family behind the now canceled Marshall Avenue Liquor store used the neighborhood and CUP to process in a failed attempt to stop Elevated Beer, Wine and Spirits a couple years ago.

http://www.longfellownokomismessenger.c ... st2012.pdf

Karma.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 13th, 2014, 8:37 pm

The biggest reason is they are state/county roads and not MPLS streets. The state/county would not allow that and with the heavy traffic it would not be in the state/county's best interest to have bicyclist struck and killed on their busy roads. Can you spell lawsuit! Hope that answers your question so we don't need to think about it again. Your question has been answered many time before on here, but people still think that a state/county highway is just some MPLS city street for some reason. Check out a few maps and you will see what I'm talking about.
Their current design is precisely why pedestrians and cyclists get killed on such roads: speeds are too high and cyclists and pedestrians still are having to use them anyway. How else am I supposed to access a business on Hennein or 1st? Yet I'm not seeing them rushing to them safer roads as a result. Mpls does share some blame: they should compensate the county/state's lack of initiative by making intersecting city streets much more pedestrian and cyclist-friendly with road diets, bump-outs, etc.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 13th, 2014, 9:47 pm

City should just take over county/state streets.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 13th, 2014, 10:48 pm

Should the city also take over 35W?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2014, 7:56 am

35W isn't trying to masquerade as an urban street.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 14th, 2014, 8:56 am

How else am I supposed to access a business on Hennein or 1st?
Typically by biking on an adjacent bike-friendly street, and then riding a cross street the remainder.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 14th, 2014, 8:58 am

But Central Avenue (for example, to bring it back to northeast) is serving a regional role that's larger than the immediate neighborhood it sits in. These streets need to balance the needs of the local with the regional network.

If the city takes these streets over, before you know it they'll be the pet projects of individual City Councilors.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2014, 9:41 am

Car commuters from Fridley and beyond would have to take 694 to 94 to Downtown? And Central can serve its neighborhood? That sounds awful. We cannot let that happen.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 14th, 2014, 9:45 am

This is the same type of argument that says we don't need the Green Line because the 94 express bus takes people from Minneapolis to St. Paul.