Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Northeast - General Topics

Postby EOst » July 17th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Yeah, I know, I was talking more up north (though I honestly don't know how much demand there is for them there; Central is a weird corridor).

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 7th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Pico de Gallo is the newest addition to Eat Street NE: a worthy addition to work into your rotation of Central Ave Mexican restaurants. Still have to check out Aki's and pick up some bread. And no mention of Karta Thai opening up like 2 years ago? Come on guys, I know it's a bit removed from Downtown, but the food up here is so much better and varied. One of the culinary fusion wonders of the world, Afghan pizza, can be found here too.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 7th, 2014, 9:15 pm

And no mention of Karta Thai opening up like 2 years ago?
You mean, before this forum existed?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 8th, 2014, 7:06 am

I've been to Karta Thai a few times, nothing to write home about. La Colonia is my new favorite.

Aki's is very good. Fairstate Brewing going in next door, they used to serve their beer at Sociable Cider Werks and it was outstanding. Those two will be a match made in heaven.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 8th, 2014, 9:59 pm

Well, if that means it's off limits then I guess we have to shut down the forum, cuz Mpls has been around a hell of a lot longer than two years.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 13th, 2014, 8:50 am

Well, if that means it's off limits then I guess we have to shut down the forum, cuz Mpls has been around a hell of a lot longer than two years.
I think he was just saying why would you expect us to talk about it? There are thousands of restaurants that opened up before this site existed. Do we need to talk about each and every one on here?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 13th, 2014, 9:18 am

No mention of Kramarczuk's?! What the hell you guys, it's 50 years old! Am I the only person in Minneapolis that even leaves my apartment?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 13th, 2014, 9:23 am

What about the Subway on Lowry ? Central?? That place has been open for twenty years. Awesome chicken club.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 13th, 2014, 9:25 am

No mention of Kramarczuk's?! What the hell you guys, it's 50 years old! Am I the only person in Minneapolis that even leaves my apartment?
Kramarczuks? Are you from Lakeville? Real Northeasters go to Sentyrz or Sikora's.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 13th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Sentyrz was a perfect transitional grocery-liquor store as a new MN resident: just like an Ohio grocery store. Even have paczkis for Lake Erie area Ohioans (Cleveland and Toledo to be precise).

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 20th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Some love for Lowry (mixed-use development north of the Little Jack's space which is due to become NE's Town Hall Brewery location). http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/ne ... jacks-site

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » August 21st, 2014, 3:15 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/ ... ommentHere

Nicollet Island-East Bank neighborhood for urbanist MVP 2014! They want to turn Hennepin and 1st into two way streets despite county objections. Front page of the strib too. The comments section should be good too as the article comes off as very anti-car.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 21st, 2014, 3:39 pm

That's fantastic. I love that the neighborhood association is all over this. And from a geeky PoV, it'd be interesting to see how the bridge issue is solved :)

Props to you, RailBaronYarr, for diving into that comments section as a voice of reason. Godspeed.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 21st, 2014, 4:01 pm

Some thoughts as a resident of the area:

-Like the article mentions, I don't totally understand how the Hennepin Avenue Bridge connection with work. The two-way conversion downtown seems to have been easier, because from what I can tell, the bridge has only ever connected to Hennepin on that side and forced a turn at 1st or 2nd Street (I moved to Minneapolis shortly before the conversion and wasn't driving here at the time, so I don't know conditions exactly). It just seems like you'd have to have some convoluted intersection that would really muck up the area and potentially Main Street. I wonder if potentially First could be cut off to end at Main and just have traffic flow to Hennepin.

-If this plan comes to fruition, I think we seriously need to consider taking back a lane in each direction from the Hennepin Avenue Bridge. Turn it into a beautiful bike lane. Actually, do that anyway. It's a huge gap in the bicycle

-I have my doubts about a 4-to-3 conversion here. I usually love them, but as someone who's driven through the area (and sharing some anecdata), there isn't a whole lot of turning through the neighborhood. The only major place where turning takes place is from Hennepin to University going toward the U. There's some turning on University toward NE, but it's fairly light. Most traffic seems to to continue on to Hennepin (or sometimes turn to take Central north) past the neighborhood. One through-lane with buses pulling in and out frequently seems like a nightmare for both transit and traffic.

-I don't think it's the one ways that are causing any issues. Hennepin is actually fairly pleasant from Lourdes Place to Fifth Avenue. It's generally pleasant to walk on, many areas have decently-wide sidewalks, and there are plenty of places to drop in for shopping, food, or drinks. First is the real culprit, and it's issue is mainly that it's so wide. Even if it stayed a one way, it could be made much more pleasant by narrowing some lanes, removing some parking, getting rid of the free right from southbound Central to First, and adding bike infrastructure.

-Should this project happen, we really need to accept that it turns Central into the workhorse for handling traffic in the area. That's fine, but that street strikes me as having nearly as many issues as First, plus then some (a lack of turn lanes that gums up intersections, wide road, traffic that seems to fly by significantly faster than Hennepin, etc.)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 21st, 2014, 4:17 pm

Really, isn't the problem that the Hennepin bridge is too many lanes?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 21st, 2014, 4:24 pm

Very reasoned comment, Xandrex.

I could envision adding a contra flow traffic lane on First Avenue, but I just don't think you'll be able to swing it on Hennepin.

I think you could also add a contra flow traffic lane on Fourth Street between First and Central.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 21st, 2014, 7:37 pm

To me, any change seems like something that should be a part of the streetcar plan. I can not imagine one lane each way with streetcars in traffic. Yuck! I can see changing it to only 2 lanes, add the 3' green space, and add a protected bike lane. Maybe that really is the end goal. The article says they are willing to compromise.

uncle phil
Metrodome

Postby uncle phil » August 21st, 2014, 10:05 pm

More importantly...how would the conversion affect the MPD's speed trap on the bridge? That thing has got to generate the most money of any speed trap in the city.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » September 6th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Any word on how Bauhaus stacks up to its competition? Still have to make it over there.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » September 7th, 2014, 7:32 am