Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
drgrant
Block E

Re: Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby drgrant » June 21st, 2021, 3:00 pm

This area desperately needs a district parking ramp instead of every building providing its own surface lot.
If they got rid of most of the street parking, this could be the city's first real woonerf. It already kind of functions that way, the lines between street, sidewalk, parking lot, and outdoor dining/drinking are very blurry.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 27th, 2021, 9:05 am

I swear there was a thread or at least some discussion of this project, but here's a writeup of Timber and Tie at 14th and Central. 175 units affordable to 60% AMI with 25 MPHA project-based housing vouchers. Several 2-3-4 bedroom units which is pretty swell. Delivered early and 70% leased. I think it looks better than many of S-R's North Loop developments.

https://rejournals.com/schafer-richards ... in-cities/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 27th, 2021, 10:10 am

"Downtown Minneapolis"
Timber and Tie’s larger apartments – those two- through four-bedroom units – give families with lower incomes the opportunity to rent in downtown Minneapolis.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 31st, 2021, 1:39 pm

Obviously calling 14th Ave NE "downtown" is laughable, but I do think at some point the City should formally acknowledge that the east riverfront, from Nicollet Island / BNSF tracks down to 35W is a neighborhood of greater downtown, just as much (if not more so) as the furthest reaches of North Loop or Elliot Park are considered downtown neighborhoods. I know the Downtown Council has long included the east riverfront in their "downtown residents" counts for bragging purposes, but I think it's time the city officially recognize that as well. There simultaneously ought to be a reorganization of the boundaries of NEIBNA/Marcy-Holmes, as well as Downtown/DTE/Elliot Park (i.e. neither East Town or Mill District are formal entities as far as the city is concerned)

This conversation naturally leads to re-picking the scab of "what the hell should we call this area?" (e.g. Old St. Anthony, Downtown Northeast, CenHen, Ye Olde Towne, etc.)

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » September 1st, 2021, 12:24 pm

Even though west of Central is already the official Arts District, Central/Broadway is prime for some branding as the "Brewery District" or something. Or even Central/Broadway branding.

As an aside, I grew up in rural Cook County IL, and we referred to ourselves as "Chicago." Anything within Chicago city limits was called "downtown." So even if you were going to the far south side, just as far from downtown as our small town, you were going "downtown." Nobody ever pretended we lived in the big city but culturally of course we considered ourselves "Chicago." Don't know if it's still like that - my isolated rural town grew into a bedroom suburb over the decades.

Haven't noticed this as much here (unless it's businesses based in Golden Valley or Normandale), but I can see why a national trade journal unfamiliar with Minneapolis would call this downtown, especially since most (all?) of S-R's ground-up buildings are downtown/NL.

BruiserB
City Center

Re: Northeast (and Southeast) - General Topics

Postby BruiserB » September 13th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Does anyone know if the Costco Business Center will have a gas station? Drove by there yesterday and was surprised by the amount of dirt being pushed around. More than I would have expected for a simple parking lot repaving. Are they burying tanks? Would love to have a Costco Gas station close by.
So glad they finally built the gas station...not sure what took so long. I was told they day they opened the store that the gas station was coming soon. I've had staff tell me that there were delays getting construction started and again delays even during construction. It's great to have this in the city without having to try to stop at one of the suburban locations with maze like parking lots. So far no lines and very easy in and out. I'm sure it will get more traffic with time.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 15th, 2021, 3:19 pm

The Gasthof property (half a block, 1.2 acres) is for sale for $3.1MM. At that price they are definitely targeting redevelopment, not someone to take over and run the restaurant. The description in the listing confirms.

https://www.edinarealty.com/commercial- ... 18-5496081
Sold for $2.05m, including four adjacent parcels.
The buyer, seller and broker declined to comment Wednesday on what the future might hold for the site, but real estate documents describe the planned use as “institutional/education properties/apprenticeship schools.”.

https://finance-commerce.com/2021/09/ga ... etches-2m/
*unlocked*

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 15th, 2021, 9:14 pm

Hm. I'd feel a lot better if the 2040 plan had made University Ave Corridor 6, with its two-story height minimum, instead of Corridor 4. We'll see what they propose, I guess. Hope it's not just a reuse of the existing building.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 27th, 2021, 7:06 pm

Another proposal for what is quickly becoming the densest part of Northeast:

49 1BR and studio units on a double lot, half a block south on Main St from where the Frances and the Lucille were recently finished. 54 bike spaces, 13 car spaces. I'm looking forward all the neighbors, etc, that keep assuring everyone that they'd be fine with the new apartments if they were only more aesthetically pleasing to be enthusiastic supporters.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 27th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Broken link

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 28th, 2021, 7:19 am

Whoops, fixed now.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » October 16th, 2021, 5:47 pm

84 housing units plus more artist studios and gallery space to go into redeveloped buildings at Northrup King.

https://www.startribune.com/artspace-to ... 600107167/

Carlos
Block E

Postby Carlos » November 12th, 2021, 6:38 pm

Was there any word on what would replace Anelace Coffee's spot? It burned down over a year ago.

Carlos
Block E

Postby Carlos » January 26th, 2022, 4:43 am

Couple of new proposals for Northeast coming to next week's CoW.

At Lowry and 2nd, across the street from the approved-but-never-started Red Cow Brewery, Perkins Levin is proposing a six-story, 190-unit apartment building, with walkout units on the 2nd St side, and a coworking space and fitness center fronting Lowry. Not including a small commercial space seems like a miss in this burgeoning node, but there's plenty of underused lots around still. It's fine.

Meanwhile, up at Marshall St and St. Anthony Parkway, Xcel would like to pull an office building straight out of 70's suburbia and plop it on the parkway. This would replace the decaying office building at the Chestnut Service Center down behind the Basilica, and fufill Xcel's long-held dream of having all of the control centers in one place. Pretty disappointing site plan though. I'm resigned to the amount of parking - the 11 is only half-hourly this far north, and it's more than a mile to Lowry and the (also half-hourly) 32, but I'm hoping the CPC can push back on the "moat of parking" effect. At the very least, the MPRB should deny the new curb cut to the parkway - if Xcel really thinks they need a parkway driveway they can use the existing one closer to Marshall.

Ground breaking has happened, I guess missed that.
Doran, Perkins Levin start work on Northeast Minneapolis apartments
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ce=twitter

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 9th, 2022, 1:59 pm

The Broadway and Marshall neighborhood is getting some more proposed. https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... front.html

A Chicago developer’s first Minnesota proposal. 13 car parking and 49 bike parking. 49 apartment units.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 9th, 2022, 2:36 pm

I have an unprovable theory that people underrate the value of policy signals, beyond the value of a policy itself.

Minneapolis has been drawing national attention to itself for years as a place that is encouraging denser development with less parking. I don't think that developers are flooding to the city from around the country, but I do think that the developers who are entering the market are getting a clear idea about what kind of projects will be welcomed and supported.

Developers are eager to please. Historically, they have understood that neighborhoods and municipalities want fewer units and more parking. But I think developers have begun to realize that in Minneapolis the city is going to have your back if you do the opposite, and we are starting to see projects that reflect that reality and are different from what was proposed in the past and is being proposed in some peer cities.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » February 10th, 2022, 7:29 am

The Broadway and Marshall neighborhood is getting some more proposed. https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... front.html

A Chicago developer’s first Minnesota proposal. 13 car parking and 49 bike parking. 49 apartment units.
The scale of this building is amazing. Without the parking requirements we are seeing that tight lot, small footprint apartment type again. I love it.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » February 12th, 2022, 3:48 am

I have an unprovable theory that people underrate the value of policy signals, beyond the value of a policy itself.
This is definitely a thing, 100%.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » March 3rd, 2022, 8:29 am

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -mpls.html
The Minnesota Department of Education will relocate to Northeast Minneapolis from Roseville. They are leasing 95,086 square foot space in Stinson Office Park.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 3rd, 2022, 9:36 pm

Seems like a good move. Not downtown or anything, but it's accessible by two bus routes and a high quality bike trail, and there's a great coffee shop and Mediterranean deli across the street.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]