700 Central Avenue Northeast Apartments

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Nathan
Capella Tower

700 Central Avenue Northeast Apartments

Postby Nathan » September 11th, 2012, 10:20 am

This is really one of my favorite projects for NE, It could really expand the viable limits of the neighborhood North! It's so on again off again right now.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: 700 Central Ave. NE (former Archive condos)

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 11th, 2012, 11:37 am

What's the status?

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » September 12th, 2012, 10:23 am

Heard absolutely nothing about this recently. Someone does keep pasting the paper back up on the inside of the windows as it falls down and they also keep painting over the tags that seem to appear on the outside weekly. Other than that, the sign advertising the main level for Retail lease is still up and shows this rendering.

I wish something would happen. I live within a block of here and it makes the neighborhood look and feel so ghetto.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » September 12th, 2012, 10:32 am

I did some digging, and this is the newest news (from late June) I could find on the project:

Comm Dev & W&M/Budget – Your Committee, having under consideration receipt of 2012
Transportation-Oriented Development (TOD) grant awards, now recommends that the proper City officers
be authorized to accept and appropriate the following awards and to execute such grant, sub-recipient,
loan, subordination and other agreements as may be necessary to implement the Metropolitan Council
Livable Communities Demonstration Account (LCDA) and Tax Base Revitalization Account (TBRA)
Contamination Cleanup grants with the Metropolitan Council, the Cornerstone Group, Lupe Development
Partners, Nolan Properties Group and PRG (or affiliated entities):
a) Metropolitan Council LCDA grants of $2,000,000 for the Prospect Park Station Boeser site;
$1,536,100 for the Penn and Broadway project; and $100,000 in pre-development funds for the Linden
Yards project;
b) Metropolitan Council TBRA Contamination Cleanup grants of $720,307 for the Prospect Park
Station Boeser site; $463,900 for the Penn and Broadway project; $499,380 for the 700 Central project;
and $318,632 for the Spirit on Lake project; and
c) Hennepin County Corridors of Opportunity Challenge Fund grant of $275,000 for the Prospect
Park Station Boeser Site.
Your Committee further recommends passage of the accompanying resolution increasing the
Department of Community Planning & Economic Development appropriation to reflect the receipt of said
grant funds.
Adopted.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 095318.pdf

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 12th, 2012, 12:09 pm

You know it's a little surprising that more hasn't been proposed for Northeast. Thousands of units have been floated for Uptown and it seems like at least a thousand will actually get built, but almost nothing is getting built on this side of town. I figure there's a little less demand for "luxury" (very sarcastic tone) in Northeast but it's a lot closer to Downtown and much quieter than Uptown, and you'd probably be able to actually build a few pretty tall buildings (10-15 stories) in the Central/University/East Hennepin area before anyone started complaining.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » September 12th, 2012, 12:20 pm

University Avenue, between Central and 35W, could use some loving. There are some good buildings there (like the General Mills Technical Center, Santana's, Dunn Bros and Alma, and Santiago apartments), but there are lots of ratty 60's built apartments, and several converted homes that have seen better days, that could be redeveloped. There's also a full city block (between 2nd and 3rd Ave SE) that is nothing but asphalt that is just begging to be built upon.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 12th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Like I've stated many times before, I think that the poor streetscapes are to blame for lack of development. The large, wide roads University, Hennepin, 1st, and Central each cater primarily to cars and spit in the face of pedestrians and cyclists, there are a few opportunities to close off smaller side streets that would be better suited as developable land or pedestrian zones. Essentially, of the public infrastructure in the area is a relic of the previous century, and without updates, I think developing here will be less appealing.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 12th, 2012, 1:05 pm

My favorite dead horse to beat is zoning -- the most intense development activity in the city seems to be happening in areas governed by Pedestrian Overlay zoning (though there are several PO areas that aren't seeing any significant development right now).

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » September 12th, 2012, 1:06 pm

I count 963 units proposed for the Old St Anthony area to 35W, including the 181 units under construction for Mill & Main phase 1 (do I have that right? Two buildings of 181 units each at Mill & Main?). So that's a healthy number of proposals for a one square mile area, but it's maybe unusual that we haven't seen many shovels in the dirt yet. I wouldn't be surprised if 520 2nd St gets going soon, with its $7.5m in City financing, and I'd think that the Andrews Riverside project would be basically assembly-line at this point.

I'm a bit surprised that Northeast itself (north of 3rd Ave NE) hasn't seen more - I count just two: the perpetual Jackson Flats and the Grain Belt Office redev for a total of 185. This area in the 90s and 00s saw lots of large buildings go up, although they were mostly affordable projects, which have been a small portion of this wave of apt construction.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 12th, 2012, 1:17 pm

The area around here still feels very industrial, compared to other areas where we've seen redevelopment. And not industrial in an artists loft sort of way. Part of this is probably because of the streets, but part of it is because there two active railroad lines cutting through here, and part is because there are still major active industrial users in the immediate area.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 12th, 2012, 4:01 pm

The other white elephant in the area is the former Superior Plating/ NE Streetcar Barn site. If a superfund miracle happens, that could sport quite a few units. There was also a 10 story building proposed at 2nd and 1st on a 1/4 block parking lot behind the Old fire barn.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » September 13th, 2012, 12:51 pm

I think once some of these parcels get developed, things will kind of begin to snowball in this area. 700 Central, Pillsbury A Mill, Mill and Main, Totinos site, possibly Superior Plating. There is continuing growth in the area, but once some of these housing developments get done, I think it will really take off.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » September 13th, 2012, 2:19 pm

I agree - once a few key parcels have been redeveloped in NE, the whole neighborhood should really take off. In fact, I'm working on a piece of my favorite yet-to-be-developed parcels there and will share a link when I'm done. I would love to see a mini master plan for the area around the Northrup King Building - but there are many other great areas for redevelopment. Is something still planned for the Totino's site?

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » September 14th, 2012, 1:08 pm

I know that a developer owns the Totino's site and has a fairly large plan for it. They ran into some problems though, because the Totino's building is in terrible shape and they want to rip it down, but some people felt it should remain due to the history, that was the last that I heard though....there is debate about the actual Totino's building.

I can see some things about that building that could be cool, but it looks like there were a lot of modifications to it, so I can see it turning out to be just a wierd little building.....if it were to be saved.

MumfordMoses
City Center

Postby MumfordMoses » September 19th, 2012, 1:19 am

I agree with some of you, this commercial-residential section, Nicollet Island East Bank (triangle shape), has some decent historic stock & blocks to fill, but Lord has there ever been some horrible high rise development in this neighborhood. Also, it doesn't help that St. Anthony East & West, as well as Marcy Holmes, despite many brilliant residences, have all unfortunately added too many suburban, residential mini-monstrosities over the years.

Someone wondered why Uptown seems to be getting all the attention, whoever said it, Pedestrian Overlays, got it part right - Midtown Greenway & the Lakes obviously help as well. Also, the neighborhoods that converge on Uptown have rarely sold their souls to the suburban architecture like many neighborhoods in Northeast. It's just far more pleasant to walk around the Lowry Hills, ECCO, CARAG, Whittier, etc. - the history & sense of place remains strong. On the other hand, Uptown has some God awful franchises - sold their souls in the commercial sense. But back to Northeast, I find it almost unforgivable the city allowed that Apple Valley development, circa late 70s to early 80s', to cock block the rest of Northeast from one of world's great rivers - I cringe whenever I pass through the Boom Island Park area - though it's a decent park.

I do think one key is better connectivity from Nicollet Island East Bank to St. Anthony East & West. Past development has never succeeded in making this connection - perhaps thrown off by the train track & the intermittent industrial spaces & blight that run parallel with 1st Avenue & Central.

Hope this one gets done.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 19th, 2012, 7:28 am

You don't like the Pinnacle Towers? I kinda do!

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » September 19th, 2012, 7:47 am

You don't like the Pinnacle Towers? I kinda do!
From afar they seem alright, but the street presence is pretty awful. Lots of blank walls on the street level of the towers, save for what faces Main St.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 19th, 2012, 9:06 am

Agreed, Pinnacle is an awesome building, but at the ground floor it's not very nice to look at. Especially being the gateway to NE from DT. and along the River.

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » September 19th, 2012, 10:12 am

In response to your comment about 1970s properties in the St. Anthony East and West neighborhoods.....this is a result of housing being torn down in preparation for the I-335 freeway which was supposed to cut through the neighborhood and connect 94 to 35W. I live in St. Anthony East neighborhood and if you walk around, you can see exactly where the freeway was planned to go. There is pretty much a line where the old houses of NE end and the hodgepodge of 70s and 80s houses/townhomes/apartments begins.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 19th, 2012, 11:13 am

Agreed, Pinnacle is an awesome building, but at the ground floor it's not very nice to look at. Especially being the gateway to NE from DT. and along the River.
That's true I suppose. I hardly ever go over there but I do remember there not being a great street presence around the Pinnacle Towers. That seems like the easiest thing to fix though...