700 Central Avenue Northeast Apartments

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: 700 Central Ave. NE (former Archive condos)

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 19th, 2012, 11:14 am

^I never knew about that!

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » September 19th, 2012, 1:43 pm

In response to your comment about 1970s properties in the St. Anthony East and West neighborhoods.....this is a result of housing being torn down in preparation for the I-335 freeway which was supposed to cut through the neighborhood and connect 94 to 35W. I live in St. Anthony East neighborhood and if you walk around, you can see exactly where the freeway was planned to go. There is pretty much a line where the old houses of NE end and the hodgepodge of 70s and 80s houses/townhomes/apartments begins.

I never knew about this at all, how interesting!

http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/minnesot ... d/i335.htm

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 19th, 2012, 2:24 pm

In response to your comment about 1970s properties in the St. Anthony East and West neighborhoods.....this is a result of housing being torn down in preparation for the I-335 freeway which was supposed to cut through the neighborhood and connect 94 to 35W. I live in St. Anthony East neighborhood and if you walk around, you can see exactly where the freeway was planned to go. There is pretty much a line where the old houses of NE end and the hodgepodge of 70s and 80s houses/townhomes/apartments begins.

I never knew about this at all, how interesting!

http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/minnesot ... d/i335.htm
The planned I-335 is also why there's that weird mile long exit to get off I-35W North for the Quarry shopping center. They were getting ready to put a T-intersection there.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mulad

Postby mulad » September 19th, 2012, 2:39 pm

My favorite weird feature over there is the extra bus-only ramp leading from the Stinson exit back up onto the highway.

The separate exits for Stinson and Johnson are planned to be combined in the near future (budgeted and scheduled as part of the project to add a ramp from 4th Street S in downtown to northbound I-35W). I always hated how people would take one exit and then bounce over to the other in that semi-shared segment where the only divider is paint...

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » September 19th, 2012, 3:15 pm

If you walk down 3rd Ave. NE, it is all housing built in and around the 80s. Go one street north to Spring Street and it is your typical old early 1900s Northeast housing stock.....halfway between the 2 is where they began ripping down the existing houses.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 19th, 2012, 3:53 pm

There are lots of 1980s style houses all over NE. An entire neighborhood west of Marshall and south of 8th Ave. Even on Lowry Ave. there are homes obviously built in the 1980 with big garages out front. Much more rare in South Minneapolis.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 19th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Since we aren't discussing Archive condos anymore...

Kind of an odd statement.

The area off Marshall and 8th was reclaimed industrial land (Wilcox window sash factory and BF Nelson). Then there was the 1982 tornado that cleaned out some areas of upper NE, hence new houses. I wouldn't say its rare in South minneapolis at all, but south minneapolis is 4-5 times larger than NE and didn't have all of the former industrial lands opening up. NE is a series of development microcosms squished together while much of south developed in those same periods in large swaths of land.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MumfordMoses
City Center

Postby MumfordMoses » September 20th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Since we aren't discussing Archive condos anymore...

Kind of an odd statement.

The area off Marshall and 8th was reclaimed industrial land (Wilcox window sash factory and BF Nelson). Then there was the 1982 tornado that cleaned out some areas of upper NE, hence new houses. I wouldn't say its rare in South minneapolis at all, but south minneapolis is 4-5 times larger than NE and didn't have all of the former industrial lands opening up. NE is a series of development microcosms squished together while much of south developed in those same periods in large swaths of land.
You're generalizing here - South Minneapolis - is indeed huge. In my comments I specified certain neighborhoods, both Northeast & South Minneapolis that converge on business districts - Uptown & St. Anthony. In the South Mpls neighborhoods I noted (The Lowry Hills, CARAG, ECCO) versus the Northeast neighborhoods (St. Anthony East & West, Marcy Holmes, Nicollet Island East Bank) - the suburban housing stock dramatically favors Northeast. I've walked and lived in this city for 2 plus decades - in general terms, Northeast is the most guilty of suburban housing stock. Tornado or not, communities have a say in design. Regardless, I still find many blocks of Northeast urban enough in Twin Cities' terms, there are many wonderful homes & businesses, and the upside holds promise for Northeast.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » September 20th, 2012, 3:54 pm

While industrial decay was certainly a factor, the more overarching culprit was urban renewal. While the westernmost portion of the Boom Island suburban subdivision was industrial land, the eastern through Marshall were typical Northeast - a mix of commercial, single- and multi-family residences. You can see it on this MHAPO image (I was amazed that the rail yard lasted till 1964). The Minneapolis HRA made a concerted effort to clear the western portions of the St Anthony West area - in tandem I suppose but not directly related to the I-335 clearances - but in the eastern portions their efforts were more spotty. In the western part they literally condemned or bought out several entire blocks, razed them, and built snout houses. Tragic.

That map of the HRA's activity will also explain the differences in housing stock between Uptown and St Anthony noted by MumfordMoses. Large clusters of post-WWII single-family homes are almost always the work of the HRA. In areas like Seward and Central they were more often multifamily - side-by-sides or townhomes. Of course the HRA didn't choose the neighborhoods at random - demographics were behind their selection, whether class or race or income or all three I can't say for sure although I have my suspicions.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think Old St Anthony compares unfavorably to Uptown in terms of units proposed. Uptown is getting more under construction, but most of the sites in Old St Anthony are more complicated.
"Who rescued whom!"

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 20th, 2012, 11:32 pm

In quick reply, it's also important to realize is that the NE district is much older than Uptown, or even much of Lake street, influencing renewal and revitalization efforts.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MumfordMoses
City Center

Postby MumfordMoses » September 23rd, 2012, 12:00 pm

While industrial decay was certainly a factor, the more overarching culprit was urban renewal. While the westernmost portion of the Boom Island suburban subdivision was industrial land, the eastern through Marshall were typical Northeast - a mix of commercial, single- and multi-family residences. You can see it on this MHAPO image (I was amazed that the rail yard lasted till 1964). The Minneapolis HRA made a concerted effort to clear the western portions of the St Anthony West area - in tandem I suppose but not directly related to the I-335 clearances - but in the eastern portions their efforts were more spotty. In the western part they literally condemned or bought out several entire blocks, razed them, and built snout houses. Tragic.

That map of the HRA's activity will also explain the differences in housing stock between Uptown and St Anthony noted by MumfordMoses. Large clusters of post-WWII single-family homes are almost always the work of the HRA. In areas like Seward and Central they were more often multifamily - side-by-sides or townhomes. Of course the HRA didn't choose the neighborhoods at random - demographics were behind their selection, whether class or race or income or all three I can't say for sure although I have my suspicions.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think Old St Anthony compares unfavorably to Uptown in terms of units proposed. Uptown is getting more under construction, but most of the sites in Old St Anthony are more complicated.

Thanks for these resources - quite interesting.

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » December 13th, 2012, 10:17 am

Just curious if anyone has heard anything new on this project. Seems like this one just cannot get moving, even after repeated attempts at re-development.

twincitizen

Re: Former Archive Condos - (700 Central Avenue Northeast)

Postby twincitizen » March 20th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Revived! http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/de ... -7th-st-se

156 Apartments and 10,000 sf retail.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 20th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Funny that we were just talking about it! This will be fantastic!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 20th, 2014, 2:44 pm

wtf. that's hilarious. any other projects we want to jump start? just revive their thread...

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 20th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Strange enough, I was just going past here this morning (as I live a few blocks away) and was thinking to myself, "Hmm...I haven't heard anything recently about that project...wonder if it'll ever come to something..."

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 20th, 2014, 9:59 pm

wtf. that's hilarious. any other projects we want to jump start? just revive their thread...
Yeah, how about The Nicollet?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 20th, 2014, 10:13 pm

Yeah, how about The Nicollet?
while I agree... she was proposed 10 years ago now... a decade of mourning is sufficient :)

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » March 21st, 2014, 10:13 am

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 21st, 2014, 10:24 am

Direct link to the staff report. There's lots of good stuff in there, including the full plans and drawings. Looks like a really cool project.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.