Impound Lot

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
David Greene
IDS Center

Impound Lot

Postby David Greene » September 2nd, 2014, 3:25 pm

Maybe this fits under the Bassett Creek thread but I'll keep it here for now. Master apparently has a project at 250 Fremont Ave. N.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=def ... 5821e3bb0f

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Northside - General Topics

Postby grant1simons2 » September 2nd, 2014, 3:32 pm

Could this be in prep for the full master redevelopment when then rail comes in?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 3rd, 2014, 10:44 am

Could this be in prep for the full master redevelopment when then rail comes in?
Unlikely. Ryan still has exclusive development rights to Linden Yard, though I think that's coming up for renewal soon. As long as the city keeps the impound lot where it is, not much of the BCV plan can happen. :(

Harrison is trying to rally residents around getting the impound lot moved. Anyone here want to get plugged in? They could use allies in other wards. Even if you hate SWLRT 3A, I think we can agree that we ought to maximize the potential of station areas and having the impound lot and the threat of a diesel layover/maintenance facility next to the Van White station is going to hurt development of that station area a LOT.
Last edited by David Greene on September 3rd, 2014, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 3rd, 2014, 11:11 am

I think we've circled around this particular eddy before, but where would/should/could the impound lot be located to? [Please don't tell me that we can make it disappear, because I'm not buying that.]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 3rd, 2014, 11:35 am

Not that it matters at all, but I just Googled and noticed that the impound lot is technically not in "North" Minneapolis at all. The lot itself fully south of Chestnut Ave, which is the 0 line for North-South addresses west of I-94 (see Bryn Mawr to the west for reference). It's not really in the Harrison neighborhood either, as it is cut off by Bassett Creek and a former rail corridor. Sure, Harrison claims the territory as being part of their neighborhood jurisdiction, but it truly is kind of a no man's land.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 3rd, 2014, 11:41 am

Perhaps the impound lot could fit onto this centrally located parcel- https://www.google.com/maps/place/4098+ ... 6c49403178
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 3rd, 2014, 11:43 am

I think we've circled around this particular eddy before, but where would/should/could the impound lot be located to? [Please don't tell me that we can make it disappear, because I'm not buying that.]
The impound lot thread has a lot of ideas, but very simply: somewhere near the airport. And despite your skepticism, tow around the corner could work. It works in other cities.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 3rd, 2014, 11:45 am

Not that it matters at all, but I just Googled and noticed that the impound lot is technically not in "North" Minneapolis at all. The lot itself fully south of Chestnut Ave, which is the 0 line for North-South addresses west of I-94 (see Bryn Mawr to the west for reference). It's not really in the Harrison neighborhood either, as it is cut off by Bassett Creek and a former rail corridor. Sure, Harrison claims the territory as being part of their neighborhood jurisdiction, but it truly is kind of a no man's land.
This is just a technicality. The impound lot certainly directly impacts the value of property in Harrison and stops development of the Van White station area, the opportunity cost of which is the revitalization of the Glenwood corridor.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 3rd, 2014, 11:46 am

Or place the lot on this parcel that everyone wants to see put to better use- https://www.google.com/maps/place/Meado ... 9ae277274b
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 3rd, 2014, 11:48 am

Or place the lot on this parcel that everyone wants to see put to better use- https://www.google.com/maps/place/Meado ... 9ae277274b
Stick it right in the southwest corner! :)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 3rd, 2014, 11:52 am

Buy out some of the NE trainyard lots or we could boot more cars

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 3rd, 2014, 11:55 am

So, thinking a bit more about the Impound Lot:

Let's split the "users" of the impound lot into two categories.

1. Abandoned vehicles, scofflaws, seizures, etc. If you went to the impound lot today, these are the cars you would see there, and they probably take up only about a third of the space at the lot. This function probably needs to continue at a permanent (but potentially much smaller) city owned facility -- although not necessarily in this exact geographic location.

2. Victims of snow emergencies and (to a lesser extent) street sweepings. These are short term users, and they fill up the rest of the space at the lot on the handful of occasions throughout the year.

Could the users in the second group be sent to temporarily rented space at existing private surface lots scattered throughout the city? I'm thinking the outlying spaces at the KMart or Quarry lots, for example. Once there, you'd boot the cars. The exact mechanisms of how they get released would have to be sorted out.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 3rd, 2014, 11:55 am

Buy out some of the NE trainyard lots or we could boot more cars
Booting cars doesn't help with plowing and those train yards have been planned for redevelopment for a while. We don't want to go screw those neighborhoods over.

There's a bunch of industrial land north of St. Anthony Pkwy that could maybe be used.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 3rd, 2014, 11:59 am

So, thinking a bit more about the Impound Lot:

Let's split the "users" of the impound lot into two categories.

1. Abandoned vehicles, scofflaws, seizures, etc. If you went to the impound lot today, these are the cars you would see there, and they probably take up only about a third of the space at the lot. This function probably needs to continue at a permanent (but potentially much smaller) city owned facility -- although not necessarily in this exact geographic location.
Last I heard from their plan to shrink the impound lot but keep it at the current location, the city proposes to put police holds under or near I-394.
2. Victims of snow emergencies and (to a lesser extent) street sweepings. These are short term users, and they fill up the rest of the space at the lot on the handful of occasions throughout the year.

Could the users in the second group be sent to temporarily rented space at existing private surface lots scattered throughout the city? I'm thinking the outlying spaces at the KMart or Quarry lots, for example. Once there, you'd boot the cars. The exact mechanisms of how they get released would have to be sorted out.
Yes! This is a lot like tow around the corner. You sort it out by ticketing the car (no need to boot) and include the price of the tow in the ticket. You call a number (or get texted) to get the location of your car.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 3rd, 2014, 12:00 pm

The impound lot thread has a lot of ideas, but very simply: somewhere near the airport. And despite your skepticism, tow around the corner could work. It works in other cities.

"Tow around the corner" will not work, primarily because in the dense areas where a great deal of the towing takes place (and where thorough plowing of the streets is most critical), the spot around the corner is already being fought over by three other cars who couldn't find another spot.

In terms of snow management in large cities, there really aren't very many peer cities to Minneapolis.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 3rd, 2014, 12:00 pm

Okay so really our best bet is the airport. They have a lot of room for a lot. And I like the idea MNdible but then we'd have to deal with where we put the cars when it's time for that area to be developed. What if we made a parking ramp for the cars :lol:

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 3rd, 2014, 12:43 pm

"Tow around the corner" will not work
But towing to one of many lots scattered across the city is essentially the same thing. That's the point I was trying to make.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 3rd, 2014, 12:44 pm

"Tow around the corner" will not work, primarily because in the dense areas where a great deal of the towing takes place (and where thorough plowing of the streets is most critical)
I *wish* this were true! As far as I can tell almost no one in Uptown gets towed. Or even ticketed.

The Northside gets a lot more tows and a primary driver of that is the nearby impound lot. Tows there are cheaper to do.
Last edited by David Greene on September 3rd, 2014, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 3rd, 2014, 12:45 pm

Okay so really our best bet is the airport. They have a lot of room for a lot. And I like the idea MNdible but then we'd have to deal with where we put the cars when it's time for that area to be developed. What if we made a parking ramp for the cars :lol:
Structured parking for tows and police holds is not a bad idea at all. The cars need to go somewhere. Better that the footprint be as small as possible.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 3rd, 2014, 12:51 pm

Unless you have some info to back that up I'm calling baloney. My car has been towed twice in uptown, once my own doing and once my friend's... But I am now SUPER anal about parking, maybe there are more tows in North but I doubt it has to do with cost and vicinity and more education on and attention spent to parking rules. And those two times were quite literally the only times I missparked. And it was picked up right away. Also what are the towings for? Less privelaged neighborhoods might leave cars on the street for a lot of other reasons than a more wealthy neighborhood, fair or not.