Alia Tower - 200 Central - 483' / 40 Stories

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Alatus St. Anthony Tower (Washburn-McReavy Site)

Postby seanrichardryan » August 26th, 2014, 9:47 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 26th, 2014, 9:49 am

I thought he owned the ramp....

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » August 26th, 2014, 9:56 am

Okay now down to 35 stories but at least now it sounds as if that's where it is staying.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 26th, 2014, 10:28 am

Okay now down to 35 stories but at least now it sounds as if that's where it is staying.
Not shabby and I think it will be the tallest building on that side of the river. The preference for a glassy , more contemporary looking tower is a good choice: sort of a counterpoint to The Carlyle on the other side of the bridge. I applaud Alatus in responding to neighborhood feedback about having good pedestrian friendly street frontage. It appears the local ESG will be the architects, not Humphrey's and Partners.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 26th, 2014, 1:37 pm

It's a rectangle with its lid propped open. Groundbreaking.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 26th, 2014, 3:42 pm

No. I think that was the Humphrey and Partners concept. From the article it appears ESG is the architect, or possibly they are working together in some fashion. Expecting a very good quality building here, but perhaps not groundbreaking. I mean , when was the last time that really happened here in a taller building ?? About 1973.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 26th, 2014, 4:48 pm

I mean, I think that rendering from faraway looking south is pretty clearly a rough estimate. The mockups from ground level as well as this one show more texture.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 26th, 2014, 5:15 pm

I mean, I think that rendering from faraway looking south is pretty clearly a rough estimate. The mockups from ground level as well as this one show more texture.
The design is still tentative. The developer is looking at different images of how it will appear, according to the article. However, they hinted it will probably be a more contemporary glassy look as that's what Mr Lux said the neighborhood wants. Of note, the two neighborhood associations in the area unanimously passed resolutions supporting the project!. Quite a different attitude in this part of town...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 26th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Check the comments on Councilor Frey's Facebook status today: https://www.facebook.com/jacob.frey.188 ... 9762547483

Pretty disappointing stuff. I'm guessing most of the commenters don't actually live in the immediate area. As I've noted numerous times on this forum, many human beings are highly resistant to change.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 26th, 2014, 7:31 pm

The main commenter is a bearded man picking weeds in his garden in his 50s? Scroll down twincitizen, they get much better
One of my favorite cities is Toronto, which has great looking residential highrises in many neighborhoods, not just downtown. And is still very walkable, with great local neighborhood charm and character. I say bring it on! Go Minneapolis!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 26th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Check the comments on Councilor Frey's Facebook status today: https://www.facebook.com/jacob.frey.188 ... 9762547483

Pretty disappointing stuff. I'm guessing most of the commenters don't actually live in the immediate area. As I've noted numerous times on this forum, many human beings are highly resistant to change.
Your guessing is probably right on the mark. The neighborhood associations resoundingly support this project and I'm sure they fully comprehend this will be a high rise of a very good size. This will increase the tax base, enhance the property values around it, and add hundreds of people to shop in the nearby retail district. I strongly "guess" the vast majority of residents and businesses in the nearby vicinity are in fact quite embracing of this new addition to their neighborhood.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 26th, 2014, 8:53 pm

So, are they not aware that, despite the forced perspective in the rendering, that this project will only be a little bit taller than La Rive and the Pinnacle, or are they ignoring it to try to make their point, Save Dinkytown style?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 27th, 2014, 8:33 pm

^It should be 70-90 feet taller than LaRive, which is 280 feet high.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 28th, 2014, 8:30 am

Oh, I didn't realize it was going to be that much taller. Still, the commenters are acting like there's nothing else in the neighborhood over like 120', when there's another 300' building just a block away.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » August 28th, 2014, 9:59 am

Oh, I didn't realize it was going to be that much taller. Still, the commenters are acting like there's nothing else in the neighborhood over like 120', when there's another 300' building just a block away.
Standard NIMBY argument in this case is always the same: "<building name that is already built and an example of a tall precedent> should have NEVER been approved and is therefore not to be cited in this conversation." If it didn't happen EVERY time, it would be comical.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 28th, 2014, 11:04 am

Anybody who thinks this proposal is going to set a precedent creating a flurry of 40 story towers on this side of the river is delusional. This is an upscale project, will be very expensive to build, and the demographic who will be able to afford to live here is small. We are not Toronto or Manhattan. And how much available land in this area is zoned for a building of this height? I doubt very much. Some of these Nimby's fears appear almost clinically paranoid at times. :?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » August 28th, 2014, 11:25 am

Not trying to side with the NIMBYs, but there are two blocks of undeveloped surface parking next door and you'd need something equally tall to get views over the mills.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 28th, 2014, 12:13 pm

Anybody who thinks this proposal is going to set a precedent creating a flurry of 40 story towers on this side of the river is delusional. This is an upscale project, will be very expensive to build, and the demographic who will be able to afford to live here is small. We are not Toronto or Manhattan. And how much available land in this area is zoned for a building of this height? I doubt very much. Some of these Nimby's fears appear almost clinically paranoid at times. :?
But remember what happened in the 80s? The Pinnacle was built, then La Rive immediately followed it, then nothing taller than a mid-rise was built for a quarter-century! That would be terrible if that happened again!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 28th, 2014, 12:33 pm

But remember what happened in the 80s? The Pinnacle was built, then La Rive immediately followed it, then nothing taller than a mid-rise was built for a quarter-century! That would be terrible if that happened again!
I have to agree with you both 100%. That is not the part of town where you will be canyons of highrises. You have maybe two area where high rises make sense in that area. Beyond that it is paranoia will destroy ya!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 13th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Not to start any rumors here but the website bidclerk has a bid open for a 35 story tower that matches this building exactly

https://www.bidclerk.com/project/2904798.html

Construction date has it as next spring