Alia Tower - 200 Central - 483' / 40 Stories

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Re: Alatus St. Anthony Tower (Washburn-McReavy Site)

Postby Archiapolis » October 7th, 2015, 7:14 am

Notes from tonight's Marcy-Holmes Land Use meeting :

They are currently working with 40 stories and really like the slim look that it brings with it. 3 story base with 10.5k sq ft of retail space. 3 stories below and 2 above for parking. Gave my opinion to Bob Lux and the architects (who is currently ESG, but Humphrey's might come in too) that future re-use of top 2 stories of parking as office would be great to see, they are going to be using flat ramp style. The amount of parking is really to draw people in from the suburbs. Has a very pre-church argument Nyes redevelopment look to it, with angled walls and varying corners. Zipper type balconies moving up. The base is ugly right now, at least in my opinion, and I really hope they can improve that. Currently a blank wall as you're coming in on Central, that's probably there for a future sign. Also the pent house unit seems very out of place, it's just a big box in the corner. Obligation with the city for $500k for art. Restaurant is very interested in taking lease, that includes owner of Eastside. Soulcycle is also interested in a space here. Still planning on meeting with the CoW sometime in November. Mr. Lux said the current plan is for condos, adding, "but you never know, things like that could change".

Side note: Existing ramp is an interest for a future potential project

Double side note: Owner of CPM (no, they are not going to manage the tower) and Bob Lux both confirmed that the General Mills lot is going up for sale soon.
Thanks for this...What is a "zipper type balcony?"

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 7th, 2015, 8:01 am

^^^^^^ My guess is they are off set balconies that would be like the offset teeth of a zipper. Again my guess.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 7th, 2015, 8:34 am

Side note: Existing ramp is an interest for a future potential project

Double side note: Owner of CPM (no, they are not going to manage the tower) and Bob Lux both confirmed that the General Mills lot is going up for sale soon.
So, will they not be wrapping the ramp with town homes? Or is that part of phase 2 or something?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 7th, 2015, 11:35 am

I'm happy to hear that it's not a 40 story rectangle as we've seen in the past few renderings. I mean, I'd take it, but I love the more intricate brick towers in NE and hoped this would have a little more creative features.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 7th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Wrapping the the parking ramp with town homes was seen as, well.. Not a good idea. The parking ramp is old and has a few issues. It doesn't have much life left in it, so wrapping it with town homes just wouldn't work well.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 7th, 2015, 1:44 pm

So the Alatus tower will not be leasing / depending on the adjacent ramp for its parking needs?
The presumption was that tenants would lease 300-350 spaces out of the ~900 spaces available in the ramp.
That's going to represent a big design change from the previous drawings we saw, which showed no parking podium at all.

I can't see the ramp actually going away anytime too soon, but I can see why it's not the best idea to rely on leasing O.P.P. if you're trying to sell condos. Not only that, but buyers/renters at this price level prefer/expect parking to be underground & accessible by elevator - not in a shoddy 30+ year old ramp next door.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 14th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Article about this:

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/al ... akes-shape

Edit: it doesn't like the link

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 14th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Does this work?
http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/al ... akes-shape

Yeah, looks like it will, it properly encoded the apostrophe in Alatus.

Actually, no, it's using an an apostrophe that isn't on the keyboard. It doesn't match the one next the 1 key (shares the tilde) or the one that shares the double quote key. So if you typed it in you're guaranteed to fail.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 14th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Thanks for the help!

I wish the article could include a few renderings but they must not be releasing any yet.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » October 16th, 2015, 8:18 pm

So the Alatus tower will not be leasing / depending on the adjacent ramp for its parking needs?
The presumption was that tenants would lease 300-350 spaces out of the ~900 spaces available in the ramp.
That's going to represent a big design change from the previous drawings we saw, which showed no parking podium at all.

I can't see the ramp actually going away anytime too soon, but I can see why it's not the best idea to rely on leasing O.P.P. if you're trying to sell condos. Not only that, but buyers/renters at this price level prefer/expect parking to be underground & accessible by elevator - not in a shoddy 30+ year old ramp next door.
I'm incredibly curious as to how they plan on hiding that ugly ramp from view, unless the units that face it will be for the "budget conscious" condo shopper. At least the townhomes would have helped with that.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 16th, 2015, 8:35 pm

That may be where they can use a lot of the money the city is willing to give them for an art piece.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 20th, 2015, 8:28 am

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 150528.pdf

We've got rendering and they listened to our suggestions at the meeting!!

Last edited by grant1simons2 on October 20th, 2015, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 20th, 2015, 8:51 am

So they are at 40 stories then!

I like it.

My only complaint is how chunky and thick the top cornice is above that penthouse.

Is the fire department going to allow that detail on top of the podium? Looks a lot like the detail we lost on 4 marq

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 20th, 2015, 8:54 am

You should've seen it before. It had some box jutting out, it was really out of place. I think they're still trying to configure that.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 20th, 2015, 8:59 am

Looks pretty good! Its height makes it more elegant.

Would this then be the new tallest RESIDENTIAL hi-rise in MN? Wasn't the Carlyle like 440'?

Edit: The Carlyle is 469' at the tip of its crown, and 441' at the roof. This building may have a higher roof but it's 2' short of the Carlyle's crown.

Source: http://www.emporis.com/buildings/191539 ... lis-mn-usa

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » October 20th, 2015, 9:18 am

You should've seen it before. It had some box jutting out, it was really out of place. I think they're still trying to configure that.
I hope so, I liked the top on the previous rendering where it got narrower at the top with the brown L shaped thing. This doesn't look bad, but I think it would be more elegant and graceful if it wasn't so jarring at the top.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 20th, 2015, 9:19 am

Ahh yes finally it's official. I do see the resemblance to the canceled Nye's tower and I like it.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 20th, 2015, 10:33 am

Great to see it end up on the higher, not lower, end of the proposed height spectrum. Exciting!

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 20th, 2015, 7:14 pm

The more this project comes together the more pissed off about the Nyerise I get.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 20th, 2015, 7:40 pm

With the Portland Tower 17% spoken for with only a few months on the market and still only working on the second level of the parking deck, I see this tower having a fairly easy time selling these units. This will have the better visual location, but will be away from the downtown core. Having a grocery store a block away will help, but most will go out to eat if they can afford to live there! Hoping this will help Riverplace and St. Anthony Main to renovate and be more like it's old self.