Prospect Park - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Prospect Park - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » April 15th, 2019, 10:16 am

If HPC designates, I sure hope this is appealed.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 15th, 2019, 11:09 am

I’ve only followed this from afar, but aren’t the neighborhood objections more about existing residents being kicked out etc than the buildings themselves? I thought there was something more to all of this.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » April 16th, 2019, 1:30 pm

That's right — this was initially an effort to stop a rushed redevelopment plan that would have seen people have to leave with no right of return. The idea to historically designate was in response to that. It seems (editorial comment) to have taken on a life of its own now, which is regrettable.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 26th, 2019, 10:16 am

According to a neighborhood email group, the Schneider pharmacy at University and Bedford is closing as a result of the building being sold. No other real info, but this would seemingly be a ripe location for more redevelopment. It's adjacent to a Green Line stop, and there's already been a lot of activity right here with the 2700 University apartments and the Art and Architecture redevelopment that's about to start. Wells Fargo next door also has a huge underutilized space, since they seemingly haven't used that drive-through anne in years.

Serafina
Block E

Postby Serafina » April 28th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Rumor has is it that the Wells Fargo building and parking lot are also to be sold as well, and the commercial property directly behind the drugstore has been for sale for a short while now.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 28th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Assembled together that’d become a significant parcel to block tower views.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 28th, 2019, 9:05 pm

The one story wells fargo already blocks the tower view. 😆
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » May 6th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Seems like Mpls denser development is working its way east to St. Paul, tho St. Paul did 2700 University Apts already at the border and has dense stuff going in south of Franklin

Not surprised at the interest in Wells Fargo, pharmacy area, given Westgate and PP LRT stations are so close, filling in here makes a lot of sense.

Given office and residential vacancies in TCs still real low, seems like still much interest.

The UEL to the a couple of blocks north of Westgate just expanded, so wondering if the buildings on north side University Ave, right at Westgate station will start to get interest to be replaced - the layout of that development was unfortunate.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 31st, 2019, 9:02 am

New distillery proposed next door to Surly, reusing and expanding existing industrial building:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 219101.pdf

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 31st, 2019, 9:22 am

It's a little tough to figure out what's proposed to happen with the property boundaries here -- the way they're subdividing, I wonder if Wall is going to be selling the remainders of their property here to Surly? Also, it appears that BNSF still controls a little landlocked sliver.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 31st, 2019, 10:11 am

I'm also curious what's going on with Wall's remaining property there - especially the grain elevator in from of Surly. I can't imagine it's worth tearing down and redeveloping, but I'm sure they don't want to pay property taxes on a vacant structure forever either.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 31st, 2019, 11:23 am

I'm curious about how this will grow as a TOD development and not be dependent on surface lots. I'm sure it's all just phasing.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 6th, 2019, 8:16 am

How does this distillery proposal jive with the plan to relocate the UMN transitway further north, and re-purposing the current ROW as public street grid (4th St extension)??

The distillery looks to be planning a surface parking lot that runs tight along the RR tracks, which is basically the only place that the new transitway could go. So is the idea already dead? Or would the transitway only be relocated west of Malcom, then jog back down to its current alignment at Malcom? The latter seems like it would kinda ruin the idea of the transitway, whereas relocating it along the RR tracks from 23rd Ave (TCF stadium) all the way to crossing under 280 would actually improve speeds / directness. If the distillery goes forward as planned, using up all of Wall's real estate up to the RR tracks, that means future relocation of the transitway becomes dependent on acquiring a strip of ROW from the railroad.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 6th, 2019, 9:43 am

I know that the railroad is loathe to give up any right of way, but it certainly appears that the spur in question would be of no ongoing value to them.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 6th, 2019, 10:56 am

Do lots of non-U buses use the transitway outside of state fair times? I wonder how much expense it would be to run streetcar or LRT tracks on the transitway alongside any future move. Interline with the Green Line tracks from Stadium Village to West Bank, then have a pocket track between West Bank and the Downtown East interlocking for circulators to turn around.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » June 8th, 2019, 4:05 am

Depends what you mean by lots, but I have seen a non-trivial number of #3 and #272 labeled Metro Transit buses on there. Plus other U traffic.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 8th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Pretty sure the 84 uses the transitway sometimes as well.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 23rd, 2019, 3:00 pm

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 23rd, 2019, 3:23 pm

Not obvious unless you dig deeper into the plans, but the lobby of this hotel will be physically connected and open to the lobby of the existing adjacent Hampton Inn.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » August 3rd, 2019, 12:15 pm

Was thrilled to see Robin Garwood's tweets on Thursday celebrating the opening of the Green On Fourth. He also took some photos from the roof, which show that construction on the 4th St. Lofts is pretty advanced.

Between Q3 2017 and Q3 2018, when Metro Transit takes the ridership data that they release publicly, ridership at the Prospect Park Station increased by over 500 rides per day, or 56%, to 1,499. I can only imagine that the increase was the result of the completion of The Link development, which included 336 apartments.

The Green On Fourth has 243 apartments, of which 60% (~145) are already leased. I'd expect to see another jump in the Q3 2019 ridership at the Prospect Park Station to reflect the new residents and perhaps further lease-up of The Link. Daily ridership of 1,750+ at that station seems likely.

Then, by Q3 2020, we should see another huge jump, reflecting the Q1/Q2 completion of 4th St Lofts (163 apartments), the Louis (70 apartments) and the Pillars of Prospect Park senior housing (295 units). Hopefully the Malcolm Yards project is also well underway by then. I'd expect by 2020 the Prospect Park Station will have at least 2,250 weekday rides, an increase of over double in three years.