Upper Harbor Terminal

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
sanchopanza
Metrodome

Re: Upper Harbor Terminal

Postby sanchopanza » October 26th, 2016, 4:44 pm

I know the majority of people here are 'anti-car', but where are people going to park?
Not much in transit options.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 26th, 2016, 5:13 pm

I'm not sure many people here are 'anti-car', so much as 'anti- developing exclusively for cars'.

That being said, the bubbles marked "16" on the plan are underground parking entrances, so it looks like there's plans for parking under basically the entire site. As it stands, though, 10,000 person events are going to be a mess, with effectively no transit, no good bike connections to the south, and a single diamond interchange and a couple of two-lane roads for vehicles to use.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 26th, 2016, 7:01 pm

The concept for BRT on I-94 envisioned a stop at Lowry. Only helps long-term obviously.

But I don't understand your bike connections comment. This is one of the most bike-accessible parts of the north, between 26th Ave (connecting to Emerson/Fremont, whatever happens in the Penn corridor, and Theo Wirth), the lanes on 2nd St, and the riverfront trail that will go through here.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 26th, 2016, 7:42 pm

This portion of the redevelopment doesn't go south of Lowry, though. So the riverfront trail will connect at some point, I'm sure, but for now Northern Metal Recycling and Cemstone are going to remain in the way of it. I had forgotten about the existence of the 2nd St. lanes, though. Those will definitely work to get people down to 26th and the riverfront trail.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 26th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Looks like most are arriving by boat anyways

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 4th, 2017, 10:03 pm

United Properties proposal moving forward after votes by Park Board and City Council committees.

http://www.startribune.com/united-prope ... 409722135/

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » June 23rd, 2017, 2:09 pm

Anyone know why Bjarke Ingels was in Minneapolis this week? He posted a few pics on Twitter of the Guthrie and First Ave., but he seemed to be focused on the Upper Harbor Terminal location. And Coen + Partners posted a pic with him too. Is he connected to that project in some way?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 23rd, 2017, 2:22 pm

Huh. First I've heard of it, but...

The way this tweet is written sure makes it sound like he's involved with the project.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 23rd, 2017, 3:23 pm

He posted some pictures of it on Instagram too. I know not everyone loves his projects, me included in some regard. But it would be monumental if we at least got some consulting by BIG for the site.

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » June 23rd, 2017, 4:01 pm

He posted some pictures of it on Instagram too. I know not everyone loves his projects, me included in some regard. But it would be monumental if we at least got some consulting by BIG for the site.
Same here. I'm really not a fan of his particular brand of "diagram architecture," but if he steers the city into something more novel and challenging from a design perspective, I'll take it.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 15th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Updated PDFs of the redevelopment concept are now posted here.

Some grabs of the proposed concert venue:

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 15th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Why are keeping that useless industrial infrastructure?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

widget_counter
Block E

Postby widget_counter » August 16th, 2018, 7:26 am

For the "industrial relics" park... Does that maybe translate to the "save budget on site remediation and demolition" park?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 16th, 2018, 8:57 am

They're actually pretty cool and interesting... almost every proposal for the river first design challenge maintained the industrial infrastructure for whatever reason.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » August 16th, 2018, 8:58 am

Looks smaller than I envisioned. I was imagining something more on the scale of Red Rocks.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 16th, 2018, 9:11 am

Red Rocks has about 9,500 seats; this venue is designed to have 10,000. Pretty comparable, although this capacity appears to be based on standing in GA.

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » August 16th, 2018, 9:15 am

I'm relieved they kept some of the infrastructure in place. It retains some history at the site and creates an interesting built environment without significant additional cost. I'm honestly quite confused that anyone here would advocate tearing it all down.

As for the venue size being smaller than expected, I suspect there are already too many large venues (Target Center, Xcel, TCF Bank, US Bank, Target Field) for the Twin Cities market to sustain.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » August 16th, 2018, 11:13 am

I'm relieved they kept some of the infrastructure in place. It retains some history at the site and creates an interesting built environment without significant additional cost. I'm honestly quite confused that anyone here would advocate tearing it all down.
Same, I really like how they integrated it. It's like how even if Mill City Museum wasn't a museum just having that building there right by the Guthrie really makes that area have a sense of place and history.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 16th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Gas Works Park in Seattle is a very popular area to visit that has maintained some of the old industrial infrastructure on the site. Part of it is that it has a great view of the Skyline overlooking Lake Union, but the ruins themselves are popular and part of what make the park unique. I don't think the skyline view of Minneapolis will be as good, but I expect the industrial ruins can be a draw if it is done right.

My flickr photos.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 16th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Is “industrial ruins” of today what the “mill district” was before it? Keep this stuff around to add character? Similar to reusing silos.