Montage (Nye's redevelopment) - 116 E Hennepin Avenue

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Nye's Redevelopment - 116 E Hennepin Avenue

Postby seanrichardryan » December 2nd, 2015, 2:27 pm

Nye’s site developer ponders next step after HPC attaches strings

Read more: http://finance-commerce.com/2015/12/nye ... z3tCHuF6k3
http://finance-commerce.com/2015/12/nye ... s-strings/

Why didn't they design the HVAC penetrations into the balcony alcoves in the first place?

*Edit- I guess they want no HVAC on all facades, not just Hennepin.
Last edited by seanrichardryan on December 2nd, 2015, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 2nd, 2015, 2:29 pm

The offending conditions:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/hpc/WCMS1P-152163
7. 112 East Hennepin Avenue, Ward 3
Staff report by Lisa Steiner, BZH 28900
The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development recommends that the Heritage Preservation Commission adopt staff findings for the applications by Schafer Richardson for the property located at 112 East Hennepin Avenue in the St. Anthony Falls Historic District:
A. Certificate of Appropriateness.
Recommended motion: Approve the certificate of appropriateness to allow the demolition of 120 East Hennepin and the one-story addition between 112 East Hennepin and 116 East Hennepin, subject to the following conditions:
By ordinance, approvals are valid for a period of two years from the date of the decision unless required permits are obtained and the action approved is substantially begun and proceeds in a continuous basis toward completion. Upon written request and for good cause, the planning director may grant up to a one year extension if the request is made in writing no later than December 1, 2017.
By ordinance, all approvals granted in this certificate of appropriateness shall remain in effect as long as all of the conditions and guarantees of such approvals are observed. Failure to comply with such conditions and guarantees shall constitute a violation of this Certificate of Appropriateness and may result in termination of the approval.
B. Certificate of Appropriateness.
Recommended motion: Approve the certificate of appropriateness to allow exterior alterations to the 112 East Hennepin building and 116 East Hennepin building, and to allow a new six-story building to be constructed attached to the historic buildings, subject to the following conditions:
By ordinance, approvals are valid for a period of two years from the date of the decision unless required permits are obtained and the action approved is substantially begun and proceeds in a continuous basis toward completion. Upon written request and for good cause, the planning director may grant up to a one year extension if the request is made in writing no later than December 1, 2017.
By ordinance, all approvals granted in this certificate of appropriateness shall remain in effect as long as all of the conditions and guarantees of such approvals are observed. Failure to comply with such conditions and guarantees shall constitute a violation of this Certificate of Appropriateness and may result in termination of the approval.
Street trees shall not be located directly in front of building entrances, in accordance with the St. Anthony Falls Historic District Design Guidelines.
HVAC penetrations shall not be located on elevations facing a public street in order to simplify the street-facing facades, in accordance with the St. Anthony Falls Historic Design Guidelines.
All balconies on Hennepin Avenue shall be entirely inset and flush with the building wall, as recommended by the St. Anthony Falls Historic Design Guidelines.
No balconies shall project over the historic buildings.
All roof deck railings shall be set back at least 15 feet from the building edge to minimize the visual impact of a roof deck, in accordance with the St. Anthony Falls Historic Design Guidelines.
The applicant shall work with CPED staff for approval of final storefront designs for the historic buildings once further investigation has determined if historic material is extant. Historic material shall be restored as feasible. Replacement storefronts, if necessary, shall incorporate the basic design features of a traditional storefront while also being clearly differentiated as non-historic.
The applicant shall work with CPED staff for approval of the final design of any replacement windows. Plans shall identify each window to be replaced. Replacement windows shall be compatible in material, type, style, operation, sashes, size of lights and number of panes of the existing windows in that location.
Fiber cement panel shall not be utilized as an exterior material, in accordance with the St. Anthony Falls Historic Design Guidelines.
The proposed material of the sixth floor of the Hennepin Avenue and 2nd Street Southeast module is not approved. A darker metal panel shall be utilized which does not contrast with the brick color and is less conspicuous, or the same brick shall also clad the sixth floor.
The burnished concrete block material proposed on the first floor facing the adjacent property shall be replaced with brick matching that above.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 2nd, 2015, 2:40 pm

Nye’s site developer ponders next step after HPC attaches strings

Read more: http://finance-commerce.com/2015/12/nye ... z3tCHuF6k3
http://finance-commerce.com/2015/12/nye ... s-strings/

Why didn't they design the HVAC penetrations into the balcony alcoves in the first place?
Thru the wall HVAC units put out a good amount of noise, could cause some problems. I guess I would just spec compressor sound blankets.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 3rd, 2015, 8:58 am

Good god no wonder it's taken so long to get any infill development in this area. I get the intention, but something about the overuse of the word 'historic' rubs me the wrong way. Like in this context it just means old and has nothing to do with historic value (I'm not saying there isn't any here, just that the way that is written would be the same if you just meant 'old stuff'). Like, 'make the store fronts look old-timey, but be sure you find a way to visually remind us they aren't actually old!" I mean, if someone wants to go the extra mile and actually build new additions in the same style as the old, why the hell would you stop them? One of reasons people tend to support preservation is because we prefer the old (more expensive) building styles and techniques over the new crap we get. If they want to go crazy with old school masonry and architecture styles I'm all for it.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 3rd, 2015, 10:09 am

Sounds like they have 10 days to appeal any of those conditions to the City Council. I suspect they'll probably appeal a few of the conditions.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 10th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Having the air conditioner blow heat and noise out onto your balcony is really going to make it pleasant.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 10th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Like, 'make the store fronts look old-timey, but be sure you find a way to visually remind us they aren't actually old!" I mean, if someone wants to go the extra mile and actually build new additions in the same style as the old, why the hell would you stop them?
I don't know about the history of this particular regulation but the concept is very common in preservation circles. The idea is that the new should be identifiable as new so that people know what the authentic old is.

Why would you want this? For one, it gives potential buyers a more honest look at what they're buying.

As a homeowner I value the knowledge of what has changed in my house. The change itself is history. I very much value knowing that as I attempt to restore the house, I know which parts to touch and which to leave alone.

That said, many restoration experts advise owners to document what they've done to the building, what was there and what replaced it. That way even if they happen to replace materials with stuff that looks exactly like the old stuff (which is VERY hard to do, BTW), the next owner will still know what's been altered. Since most owners won't bother to keep such records, there's value in mandating that the effect be obtained in other ways.

If owners want to meticulously document things, I have absolutely no problem doing a full-on accurate restoration. The ordinance should probably allow for that.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 15th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 15th, 2016, 5:00 pm

So we get to have Valentines Day, Easter dinner, and a St. Patrick's drunk before they close. Unless they pull an April Fool's on us and stay open yet another few months!!

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 15th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Yep, I went to their closing party last summer. Pulled almost another year out of them.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 15th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Yep, I went to their closing party last summer. Pulled almost another year out of them.
See if they do as many farewells as Mick Jagger and the Stones have done.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 18th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Having the air conditioner blow heat and noise out onto your balcony is really going to make it pleasant.
I'd say that if it is so hot that you have your AC on, you aren't/shouldn't be spending significant time outside because it is already unpleasant so this is a bit of a specious argument against in-facing Magic Paks.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » January 24th, 2016, 5:24 am

Not to mention balcony facing magic paks are SOOO much nicer for routine maintenance. It's a lot easier to clean the AC coils from the balcony then pull the AC unit completely out, haul it to the shop, clean it out there, then haul it back up and re-install it. Especially since everyone seems to pile furniture in front of the access door.
Urbanist in the north woods

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 11th, 2016, 9:44 am

Going before the Planning Commission on Monday March 14: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 175018.pdf

This would be the final approval unless anyone appeals it.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 11th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Does this mean that they got the magic pack issues resolved of the HVAC?

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » May 27th, 2016, 12:30 pm

Met with the electrician and project manager yesterday regarding their CST vault. They also wanted temp service by July 1st. They should be really going at it in July!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 6th, 2016, 1:41 pm

It has a name - "Montage" - at least according to the MSP Biz Journal interview with Maureen Michalski of Schafer Richardson

EDIT: I just got it... the building itself will be a "montage" of various eras, etc.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Re: Montage (Nye's redevelopment) - 116 E Hennepin Avenue

Postby QuietBlue » June 6th, 2016, 3:13 pm

With a name like that, I guess they do want to build it in a hurry!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 1st, 2016, 3:32 pm

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 3rd, 2016, 12:59 pm

The developers plan to start construction this week, she said. The six-story Montage project includes about 8,000-square-feet of retail space on the ground floor. Plans also include an underground parking garage with a unique car elevator system that will double-stack vehicles.
Hadn't heard this before. Will it be like at LPM?