Montage (Nye's redevelopment) - 116 E Hennepin Avenue

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
twincitizen

Re: Nye's Polonaise Room - 100 block of E Hennepin Avenue

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Preliminary plans for HPC consideration: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 137341.pdf

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 10th, 2015, 2:51 pm

I like it. The way it seems to rotate as it goes up makes for some great visual effects with the multiple steps up. The tower itself reminds me of 4marq, in a good way, with the flush exterior and light color. The podium is well designed but huge with some interesting opportunities to do something like a rooftop bar, it's too bad that it's all parking.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2015, 2:56 pm

When I go to the meeting today I'm going to ask for a possible slope to the highest part. I don't like how flat this is. Also I get they they may be trying to keep the idea of a mix of modern and new, but it doesn't look right. The glass doesn't look that great with the tan colored brick once you get higher. Overall though I think it some great aspects. Very large retail is a plus, and the lines and interesting shape add to the uniqueness of it.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 10th, 2015, 3:08 pm

I like the glass on the tower, but one thing I don't get is why the huge bay windows on the parking ramp? It doesn't fit with the historic structures but I guess more importantly is as a pedestrian I don't want to be looking at a 4 floor wall of parked cars. Especially considering that there are 2 floors of below ground parking, with their own entrance, in addition to floors 2-6 of parking. It would look great as office space though.

mnjimn
Block E

Postby mnjimn » February 10th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Here's Our Lady of Lourdes statement regarding their opposition:

http://ourladyoflourdesmn.com/news/news ... nye-s-site

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 10th, 2015, 3:15 pm

Looks sharp. Interesting to see tandem spaces on the parking deck. Are there any other places in town where there are spaces requiring double parking? Would that be managed by a valet? Or would that possibly be for residents who want a second space, but for a vehicle that's not a daily driver?

My main concern with the parking deck is that it's of the every-side-is-a-ramp design philosophy, meaning that nearly the entire parking podium would have to get demoed and rebuilt if our ancestors in 50 or 100 years want to use that square footage for something other than storing cars.

I'm excited to see bumpouts and street trees on Hennepin. Hopefully the city is ensuring this is done in a way mindful of potential streetcars or potential two-wayification of Hennepin so curbs and sidewalks are only redone once.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 10th, 2015, 3:19 pm

There were a number of tandem spaces at the building where I used to live. A few people even kept boats in the parking ramp.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 10th, 2015, 3:22 pm

Yep. We've got some tandem spaces too. No valet or anything. Both spaces for the same unit.

Really like this a lot.
Towns!

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 10th, 2015, 3:23 pm

I would also say that it would be great if they dropped the top floor of the ramp entirely or decreased the podium clearances so that the podium height is at least in line with the height of the neighboring brownstones. I' specifically referring to the view on page 17. Also I hate to be the first to go here, but why do you need a nearly 1:1 parking/Bed ratio when the streetcar is coming right to your doorstep?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 10th, 2015, 3:27 pm

I'm kind of curious what Our Lady of Lourdes would like to see on the site, since no small part of their concern was being walled off by Hennepin (their concerns about shadows don't make a whole lot of sense...the church is to the north and west of the site, so sunshine shouldn't be an issue).

It seems they want short buildings to maintain views, but this neighborhood lost universal views of the church a long time ago.

Overall, a sharp looking building.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2015, 3:31 pm

They'd probably like to see nothing. Or stick construction apartments that are very skinny and still show their building

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Also I hate to be the first to go here, but why do you need a nearly 1:1 parking/Bed ratio when the streetcar is coming right to your doorstep?
Mostly because that is what lenders require: http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 40331.html
Also, our region's ridiculous level of job sprawl means that a pathetically small percentage of people even have the opportunity to work downtown, as much as they might desire to do so.

And let's be honest - people who can afford these rent prices are still very likely to own a car, even if it is seldom driven. Paying the annual insurance + gas cost on a seldom-driven car (paid-off) is likely less than a single month of rent in their cheapest studio apartment.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 10th, 2015, 3:37 pm

I think this may have a hard time passing. Over all I think it looks okay...but I don't like how much blank wall there is looming over the Our Lady of the Lourdes site. I would like to see it more airy on that side, if there is to be a tower here.

PS, I can certainly see why Our Lady of Lourdes would be against this! I mean look, this proposes a big parking ramp wall up to the very historic property, and the foundation work could legitimately cause issues! I am okay with a tower here, but I really do think it needs to be sensitive to that site. Of course people here will probably say they are just being whiny NIMBYs...but in this I could agree with some of their points. It isn't just people's views we are talking about here....that is a landmark structure in the city! If this does get built, I hope it can be a little less hulking on the Lourdes side.
Last edited by mnmike on February 10th, 2015, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 10th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Is there a way to make a parking ramp look more airy? With the tightness of the site, I have to wonder what could go there to eliminate the blankness off the wall (which isn't even right up next to the church).

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 10th, 2015, 3:42 pm

I guess there is plenty of time to work that out...but yeah, too hulking up against the church property in my opinion. In general the design looks pretty good though.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2015, 3:45 pm

Green screens. By that I mean veins and greenery along a screen. I guess that'd only really look good for 4-5 months though.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 10th, 2015, 3:46 pm

One concern that did resonate with me regarding the church was vibration issues causing damage to the property. Something needs to be worked out to prevent that.

At the same time, I have to wonder how this could be avoided. There's going to be digging regardless of development, no? A 6-story, stick-framed apartment would probably require more drilling because you would almost certainly have to have all the parking below grade.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 10th, 2015, 3:48 pm

The Our Lady of Lourdes statement has some decent points and some idiotic ones. I guess the more complaints they can pack in the better case they think they have. Could be naive but I think they'd be better served sticking to the legitimate issues.
Towns!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 10th, 2015, 3:51 pm

I mean, that building would actually be great to have a view of...it would be nice if they could bring more of the glassy residential portion lower on that side to lighten it up. I know that would interfere with the parking. Anyhoo, we know this is prelim...be interesting to see how it all plays out.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 10th, 2015, 3:56 pm

I've gone to services at that church, the building vibrates when buses go by. I don't think there is anything that won't make this place vibrate. I wonder if they could drill rather than pound piles in? \
Overall I really like the project. Looking at it from all of the angles it appears that they have tried to blend into the surroundings as much as they can. Nice to see the retail along Hennepin also.