Dinkytown Rentals - 725 8th St SE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
twincitizen

Dinkytown Rentals - 725 8th St SE

Postby twincitizen » March 14th, 2015, 10:25 am

4-story, 33-unit apartment project: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 138679.pdf

This would replace a small house and two vacant lots at 721, 725, 729 8th St SE.

William Wells!! (who some of you will remember from the 2320 Colfax affair)

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Dinkytown Rentals - 725 8th St SE

Postby Nick » March 14th, 2015, 11:02 am

The guy who testified against transients moving into the Wedge is designing student housing?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 14th, 2015, 11:03 am

That's awfully fancy letterhead for someone that uses a yahoo email address.

Sent from my phone

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 14th, 2015, 12:22 pm

The guy who testified against transients moving into the Wedge is designing student housing?
Keeps those transients in the student ghetto where they belong. That checks out.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 14th, 2015, 12:30 pm

This is a surprisingly mediocre location for a project like this. I lived not far from here for a year; it's a long walk from both St. Anthony and Dinkytown, the 2 is infrequent (and way above capacity during the student commute rush), and that stretch of 8th St SE gets a ton of heavy truck traffic from the manufacturing right behind it. They must be shooting for significantly lower rents than the premier student housing locations.

The house is pretty cute too, though absolutely tiny. Not many of those houses left in this neighborhood.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 14th, 2015, 12:46 pm

Keeps those transients in the student ghetto where they belong. That checks out.
To be fair, I felt the spirit of his testimony against 2320 Colfax (the actual apartment proposal, not the demolition) was coming from an architectural background. He testified against having units that were just 12' wide in places, which when you look at the actual units in 2320...I do think his testimony was not entirely off-base. There are some stunningly small and awkward units in 2320. Unfortunate that he did actually say "transients" though and sort of joined forces with the other folks that were just against that project in general. Cool to see that he's a real architect getting work in the city tho, I guess.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 14th, 2015, 1:33 pm

This is a surprisingly mediocre location for a project like this. I lived not far from here for a year; it's a long walk from both St. Anthony and Dinkytown, the 2 is infrequent (and way above capacity during the student commute rush), and that stretch of 8th St SE gets a ton of heavy truck traffic from the manufacturing right behind it. They must be shooting for significantly lower rents than the premier student housing locations.
Yeah, the street number didn't register until right now. I was thinking this was closer to the Rail, more like 1200 8th St. They're right to focus on being bike friendly.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 14th, 2015, 1:52 pm

For bikes, the picture is still pretty mixed. 8th St SE isn't a racetrack, but there are a good number of cars from the 35W ramps, the pavement is pretty bad, and there are no painted bike lanes. The 5th St bike boulevard is only three blocks south, though, and 8th and 7th Aves are quiet enough to be able to get there.

I don't know. Maybe if there are more projects like this, it could spur the city to do some work on 8th to make it more friendly. That'd be helped if this included a retail space of some kind, though; there's a little neighborhood market across the street, but it's oriented pretty heavily to the coke-and-chips crowd. A coffee shop could probably get by with the number of residents in the area (the nearest is probably the Dunn Brothers on 4th St and 6th Ave, which is closing soon).

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 14th, 2015, 11:23 pm

The house is pretty cute too, though absolutely tiny. Not many of those houses left in this neighborhood.
Meh, I don't think the location is horrible, though I say that as someone who still lives only a few blocks away despite being gradu-muh-cated and all.

The 2 isn't great, but student rush hour they have at least one batch that runs with a single minute of headway. And you're only a few stops into the start of the line, so you always get a seat. It doesn't even fill up until you get to 10th Ave.

I get on the 4 bus on 8th to this day and I don't see a lot of truck traffic, though I'm a bus stop or so closer to Hennepin, so maybe they're heading the other direction.

Seems like this is a good way to get some newer housing at a lower price for the area. I think Marcy-Holmes west of the highway actually has some of the better student-accessible housing stock (with the added benefit that there are a lot of non-students around here), but more is always welcome.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 15th, 2015, 1:22 pm

The 2 isn't great, but student rush hour they have at least one batch that runs with a single minute of headway. And you're only a few stops into the start of the line, so you always get a seat. It doesn't even fill up until you get to 10th Ave.
That's true. I got off at 15th, so the problem was less in getting a seat than in trying to squeeze off through everyone headed farther.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 16th, 2015, 10:25 am

To be fair, I felt the spirit of his testimony against 2320 Colfax (the actual apartment proposal, not the demolition) was coming from an architectural background. He testified against having units that were just 12' wide in places, which when you look at the actual units in 2320...I do think his testimony was not entirely off-base. There are some stunningly small and awkward units in 2320. Unfortunate that he did actually say "transients" though and sort of joined forces with the other folks that were just against that project in general. Cool to see that he's a real architect getting work in the city tho, I guess.
He also wanted more shared amenities like party rooms, etc. Also, I think the small units in 2320 Colfax plan (the 566 sqft ones on the 2nd/3rd floors) are over 15'3" wide on the inside. To be sure, the bedroom areas were really small, and *one* unit on the ground level (the SW corner one) gets down to probably 11.5' wide, but that might not feel so awkward if the BR is placed where I think it would be.

Wells clearly values inside space in his design; even the studios in his design are nearly 19' wide (for students!). But I'm not sure Lander's design deserved this particular criticism given the size. I lived in a shoebox of a room (maybe 7'x9', and part of that was a door for the stairs up to the attic) in our college house. A 12' wide room would have seemed luxurious as hell after graduating :)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 16th, 2015, 10:41 am

I'm contemplating reading out Well's 2320 testimony as part of the public comment process for this project, as a performance art piece.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 16th, 2015, 11:23 am

I lived in a shoebox of a room (maybe 7'x9', and part of that was a door for the stairs up to the attic) in our college house. A 12' wide room would have seemed luxurious as hell after graduating.
There were 150 of us living in a shoebox in the middle of the road.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 16th, 2015, 2:19 pm

I figured if anyone would bust my chops for that, it'd be you ;) But really, those old houses on campus were subdivided up/added on in weird ways. I split a generously-sized room the first year and took the tiny back annex the second. If I ever find a pic, I'll be sure to post it.

In any case, I'm hoping this building has some seriously low rents. No structured parking, bland exterior, etc, location just far enough away. It would be a good counterexample to the whole #l*xury criticisms.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 16th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Oh, I wasn't trying to bust your chops. Just thought it was a serendipitous choice of words on your part.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 16th, 2015, 3:43 pm

I'm super happy that people continue to write crappy words with symbols etc even after the filters were removed

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 16th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Guess they thwarted your devious plans.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » March 17th, 2015, 12:07 pm

I think the roll-in bike room with separate entrance is a huge deal... have any been proposed before?

The gabled roof is kind of lame and a little too 90's po-mo looking for my taste, though I do appreciate the brick facade up to the height of the adjacent building.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 27th, 2015, 4:13 pm

I'm at the planning meeting for this currently. They passed for a flat roof and a reduced amount of of metal siding.

structuralEIT
Block E

Postby structuralEIT » March 16th, 2016, 12:47 am

This building is almost done, at least on the outside. It looks like it is named "Endurance". They have some sort of religious scripture on the front. Is this a thing? I know I have seen a little on other newer buildings in Dinkytown, but not to this extent. It's not even well done - the writing breaks in the middle of a word to go around a column. I don't understand why they did this. I wouldn't think it would make people want to live there and personally, as a non-christian, it makes me NOT want to live there.