Rafter - 333 Hennepin Ave E (290' - 26 stories)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
acs
Wells Fargo Center

Rafter - 333 Hennepin Ave E (290' - 26 stories)

Postby acs » May 26th, 2015, 3:55 pm

http://www.startribune.com/mortenson-ey ... 305076171/

Mortenson is looking to re-develop the US bank behind Surdyk's into a mixed use residential and retail building, preserving US bank as a tenant. Surdyk's half of the block wouldn't be touched.

Neighborhood has been briefed and everything is still very preliminary, but the impression the neighborhood got was 20 to 25 stories and 250 units.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Re: Mortenson / USBank project - 333 Hennepin Ave E

Postby nickmgray » May 27th, 2015, 7:21 am

It looks like this will be one of the most densely populated neighborhoods in Minneapolis in a number of years. can't wait to see what the proposal looks like. I hope the developer can find a way to include the parking they need without a negative effect on how the building meets the street.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » May 27th, 2015, 7:27 am

Now if we could only calm the traffic and reroute the truck routes it might become a livable urban neighborhood where walking doesn't suck.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » May 27th, 2015, 7:29 am

Oh and speaking of parking, I posted this story and the first and only comment from anyone I know was that they were sad about losing free parking they illegally parked in because no one bothered enforcing it. Bravo.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 27th, 2015, 7:32 am

The neighborhood group did state they will push for a more lively frontage and mentioned how horrible the current one is.

Regarding truck traffic, I have walked this area many times and have never noticed it being an issue. And it shouldnt, really. It is a very busy, urban area. There should be lots of traffic.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » May 27th, 2015, 7:37 am

I also posted this story to my facebook and had this conversation...

Him: This is less than a block from where I go to work every day. Knowing the neighborhood...no. just no. This will be horrible I sincerely hope it fails.

Me: There are 4 20-40 story proposals in this neighborhood right now. This will become the most densely populated neighborhood in the next 5-10 years, mark my words. Especially with the new streetcar.

Him: That doesnt make it ok for the people who actually live there right now.

Me: That is the wrong mentality to have living in a growing city. This is very good for us. It might make driving for you a little more inconvenient but if that's important to you, I suggest the suburbs. Also your words are the definition of NIMBY. No one likes a NIMBY.

UGH!!! I don't understand why people want to live IN a city, but don't want to see it grow because it's "convenient for them". *sigh*

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » May 27th, 2015, 7:55 am

Story mentions 20-30 story tower on the site. Given the number of units, 250, 30 stories is certainly a possibility.

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/mor ... -site.html

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 27th, 2015, 8:22 am

This project and the other announced yesterday in Nordeast put the official unit count in the *pipeline* at over 20,000!

*pipeline = recently completed, under construction, approved, proposed, stalled or cancelled. If you remove the last two, the adjusted figure is 19,507.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 27th, 2015, 8:32 am

I think the 2025 Council knew what they were doing when they included this little triangle in their downtown population map.

diddy
Block E

Postby diddy » May 27th, 2015, 8:48 am

Great news, though I'd personally be more excited for condos since there are a lot of rentals already being built. Though I can't complain because having another mixed-use development here will be awesome.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 27th, 2015, 9:50 am

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/mo ... -high-rise

some new info, and in case you had any hope, yes, there will be a parking podium.

Seriously, how un-democratic is it that a developer can go to a neighborhood board and present plans behind closed doors then come out with neighborhood support before the rest of us plebe's have even seen a news announcement.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 27th, 2015, 9:52 am

A neighborhood organization has no legal right to approve or reject a proposal. So it's as democratic as you calling up 10 or 15 of your friends and offering to show them something. Which at this point is all it is.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 27th, 2015, 9:53 am

I'm trying to find the part that says it has gained "neighborhood support"... I see Victor approves, but that's just one person.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 27th, 2015, 9:54 am

Neighborhood board committee meetings aren't closed or anything. And, in most neighborhoods, anyone who wants to be on the board can usually be on it. And, they should be alerting the neighborhood somehow.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » May 27th, 2015, 10:10 am

Regarding truck traffic, I have walked this area many times and have never noticed it being an issue. And it shouldnt, really. It is a very busy, urban area. There should be lots of traffic.
I live in this immediate area and you probably aren't there during rush hour or something, because there are semis plowing through here at high speeds pretty frequently. The ones coming down university from up in NE are probably the worst, but the huge amount of post office trucks turning from e hennepin to university and cutting that corner are pretty bad too.

I think the amount coming down central has gone down a bit lately because of the construction up there, but there's still plenty on hennepin/1st too.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » May 27th, 2015, 10:12 am

Great news, though I'd personally be more excited for condos since there are a lot of rentals already being built. Though I can't complain because having another mixed-use development here will be awesome.
Actually this is one neighborhood that needs more rentals. It has a super high ownership rate because most of the units around there are condos now. I basically couldn't live in the area until recently because there were so few rentals and many of them were rent controlled with income limits.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » May 27th, 2015, 10:15 am

I'm trying to find the part that says it has gained "neighborhood support"... I see Victor approves, but that's just one person.
As goes Victor, so goes NIEBNA. Most people in the hood generally agree with his pro growth and density views, so he makes a decent spokesman for the area.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 27th, 2015, 10:59 am

^Yeah, Victor is pretty in tune with the rest of the neighborhood. It really doesn't hurt that NIEBNA is really a commercial district confined to a single neighborhood. Unlike places like Uptown or Lyn-Lake—split between four neighborhoods that are largely residential with commerical-lined boundaries—pretty much everyone in NIEBNA has bought 100% into the urban lifestyle (okay, not the Nicollet Island folks, but they're no doubt happy to see development not on the island).

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 27th, 2015, 11:07 am

Most (all?) of Nicollet Island is Park Board land with restrictive leases, so they don't really have to worry about development anyway.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 27th, 2015, 11:08 am

As goes Victor, so goes NIEBNA. Most people in the hood generally agree with his pro growth and density views, so he makes a decent spokesman for the area.
I should clarify. I didn't see official neighborhood approval. I realize this will be a yes vote likely but they'll hear what the neighborhood has to say. That's democracy.