Broadway Curve RFP - Sherman Townhomes/Carriage Houses

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
alleycat
Landmark Center

Broadway Curve RFP - Sherman Townhomes/Carriage Houses

Postby alleycat » May 27th, 2015, 11:46 pm

CPED recently released a request for proposal for the remaining parcels on the north side of West Broadway from Knox to Common Bond's West Broadway Curve apartments. Sherman submitted the only response and I feel it's safe to share that they will likely get exclusive development rights pending a few changes that haven't been fleshed out.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer ... s_2015.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V-Pa8faZ5M

I've been sitting in on meetings between CPED and Sherman as a representative for the Jordan neighborhood. Jordan requested that any proposal have at least 50% market rate during pre-RFP discussions. I'm guessing that's why we got this type of townhome proposal. I've been critical of the form more then the medium density nature of the proposal, but also an advocate for the carriage house concept. City staff initially wanted more density, but they seem to have mellowed on that.

The design features seven four-plex townhomes with dormer and carriage house apartments built into the hillside. This is supposed to be a nod to the SFH residences to the north and south and the neighborhood's single-family design guidelines. There will also be a trail that connects this area to the neighboring Cottage Park. City staff, the West Broadway Coalition and I prefer something more akin to a row house and three floors. The neighborhood board has been supportive of the design. I think the actual development might be a mix of row houses and townhomes if I'm reading the tea leaves right. I should have an update on this in a few weeks.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Broadway Curve RFP - Sherman Townhomes/Carriage Houses

Postby Nathan » May 28th, 2015, 7:32 am

This looks like a nice project, I like the general aesthetic, but I do think it's a little monotonous for both blocks.

Sarcasm side note: is everyone ok with the color of the people in the video? Uff da. Y'all are too much sometimes.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » May 28th, 2015, 8:20 am

This looks like a nice project, I like the general aesthetic, but I do think it's a little monotonous for both blocks.
mo·not·o·nous def: dull, tedious, and repetitious; lacking in variety and interest.

You're spot on. I have family in the neighborhood to the north and they were grateful that empty space replaced the blight and I think they will like that this doesn't overpower their neighborhood but that said I think Sherman could do better with design. Much of the surviving housing stock in the surrounding area predates 1900 so I think there should be special attention paid to make these townhouses reflect that and create visual contrasts to each other. Vary the colors, vary the porch style, vary the window placement, & use non-suburban looking building materials.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 28th, 2015, 9:33 am

The porches seem too compressed. Raise the roofline a little bit since they likely can't lower the railing.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.