Art and Architecture Building Development - 3338 University Ave SE - 14 Stories / 155'

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Art and Architecture Building Redevelopment - 3338 University Ave SE - 14 Stories / ~155'

Postby seanrichardryan » July 13th, 2018, 11:48 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Art and Architecture Building Redevelopment - 3338 University Ave SE - 14 Stories / ~155'

Postby seanrichardryan » July 23rd, 2018, 10:36 pm

Eric Amel and Gayla Lindt (architects!) who live in the old Rapson homestead at 1 Seymour Pl have filed a variance appeal for the project. https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/File/2018-00862

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » July 25th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Eric Amel and Gayla Lindt (architects!) who live in the old Rapson homestead at 1 Seymour Pl have filed a variance appeal for the project. https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/File/2018-00862
Maybe they should spend some more time on their yard, which is like a sketchy forest of poison ivy or on their broken trampoline. I always thought their house was empty. I walk by this place all the time. It is one of those endless projects that won't be restored in my lifetime. (Hopefully 60 years remaining in my life) City council is always an option for either one of them. I wouldn't want the additional tax money in my neighborhood either.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » July 25th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Maybe they should spend some more time on their yard, which is like a sketchy forest of poison ivy or on their broken trampoline. I always thought their house was empty. I walk by this place all the time. It is one of those endless projects that won't be restored in my lifetime. (Hopefully 60 years remaining in my life) City council is always an option for either one of them. I wouldn't want the additional tax money in my neighborhood either.
The only city forest that I know is more intense than their's is at:

3115 4th SE Minneapolis, MN

I am pretty sure this homeowner isn't protesting the new "tower". If you ever want to scare a friend take them here on Halloween night.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 9th, 2018, 2:42 pm

With approval near, Prospect Park tower would be rare condo project outside downtown
*LOCKED*
Highlights below:

New condominiums are rare these days in the Twin Cities, and they’re even rarer outside downtown Minneapolis.

But a project by Vermillion Development has nearly cleared the last city hurdle and construction could begin on a 14-story condo tower in Prospect Park by the end of the year.

The Art & Architecture project will test the market outside of downtown.

“We feel strongly about it. We are energized and excited, but no doubt the proof is going to be in the pudding,” said Ari Parritz, a developer for Chicago-based Vermillion who lives in St. Paul.

Parritz has been working with the Prospect Park Neighborhood Association for more than a year and received Planning Commission approval in June. An appeal by a neighbor was denied by the city in late July and, after a two-week delay, City Council approval could come by the end of August.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 27th, 2018, 10:39 pm

I don't know if this is new or not, but T-Rex Cookie says it's closing the shop at the end of the year for the construction, but they plan to re-open the store in the new development in late 2020.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » December 18th, 2018, 1:48 pm

There has a frivolous lawsuit against this project now, I'm assuming it won't hold up.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 18th, 2018, 2:29 pm

A strong contender for the most frivolous anti-development lawsuit.

The plaintiffs allege that the A&A tower will block the view from the Witch's Hat Tower towards "the Minnesota State Capitol, the Cathedral of St. Paul, Cathedral Hill and downtown St. Paul," a statement that anyone who has taken photographs from up there will see is completely untrue. Moreover, the Witch's Hat Tower is open just once a year. Moreover, even if it did fully block the view of St. Paul, and the tower were open daily, and they actually owned or controlled the tower, which they do not, there would still be no basis to block the project on the basis of a single far-off-view being blocked.

It's absolutely an insane lawsuit that will hopefully get dismissed before they were planning on breaking ground.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » December 18th, 2018, 2:50 pm

How in the world do people get away with filing such ridiculous lawsuits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Art and Architecture Building Development - 3338 University Ave SE - 14 Stories / 155'

Postby Qhaberl » December 18th, 2018, 5:18 pm

The above comment is my opinion. Obviously, there is a reason they are doing so. I would love to sit down with the primary complaints and actually try to understand what they exactly want. Its hard to believe that the view is really the reason for bringing the suit.

twincitizen

Re: Art and Architecture Building Development - 3338 University Ave SE - 14 Stories / 155'

Postby twincitizen » December 19th, 2018, 7:46 am

The developer's response:

"The lawsuit, which seeks an injunction blocking the project from moving forward, is “ludicrous,” Vermilion said in a statement Tuesday.

“We hold tremendous and sincere respect for the community of Prospect Park and for Tower Hill and the Witch’s hat, and we’re honored to be contributing to the area’s growth along the green line,” Development Manager Ari Parritz said in an email statement. “The baselessness of this lawsuit is a painful smear on the positive nature of all of our relations to date.”

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 19th, 2018, 10:40 pm

I don't love the view *of* the tower being blocked, but it kind of is what it is. I get the sense that's where the Prospect Park community largely comes down on this too.

That said, there are still great views of Minneapolis from the base of the tower, but the side facing the new development is already blocked by trees. So the only view we are talking about here is from the top of the hat.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » December 23rd, 2018, 4:49 pm

Eric & Gayla are usually thoughtful and reasoned. But I agree this lawsuit is ludicrous.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 30th, 2019, 11:36 am

T Rex Cookie left, but it seems a new coffee shop has opened in it's place.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 30th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Interesting, I wonder what this means for the redevelopment. Wasn’t there some kind of civil action going before the courts related to this project? It had something to do with blocking the view from the witches hat.

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » June 3rd, 2019, 9:52 pm

The lawsuit was dismissed last Wednesday though I suspect that will be appealed. Vermilion also sent out an update with a few changes to the building the most significant of which is that the condos are out and have been replaced with apartments. The building appearance is essentially the same with a few exceptions it is now 9 feet shorter (floor count is the same), the width of the tower has been reduced by 13 feet, and the rooftop deck has been removed on the tower portion. The reason given for the change to apartments was financial. The project is now named "The Wallis Prospect Park".

jgarbe
Block E

Re: 3300 University Ave. SE - United Properties

Postby jgarbe » July 15th, 2019, 1:12 pm

I just called Four Star Auto (3324 University Ave) to schedule an oil change and they said this is their last week in business because the property is being redeveloped into apartments/condos.

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » August 8th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Where do things stand with this project? Are there any indications of when construction will actually begin.

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » August 8th, 2019, 10:41 pm

The judgement to dismiss the project has been appealed and so the project will be delayed again while the lawsuit works its way through that appeals process. Also the project will be going back to the PC on September 23rd to amend the site plan due to some of the changes in the project, most notably increase in units associated with change from condos to apartments.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 5th, 2020, 1:34 pm