Malcolm Yards food hall, apartments

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Malcolm Yards food hall, apartments

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 10th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Malcolm Yards phase one: Food hall, grocery store and 287 apartments in Prospect Park
*LOCKED*

Basics:
The first phase of the project is going before the city’s Planning Commission Committee of the Whole next week.

Wall Cos. is partnering with a Denver company called Eclectic Collective, which developed several food halls there, including Stanley Marketplace. Patricia Wall is heading up that project for Wall Cos. (Laura Chin is no longer involved). The food hall will be a re-use of the Harris Machinery Building and will have nearly a dozen food vendors and a centralized bar with local beer and spirits.

Construction on the food hall could begin this fall and wrap up in the summer of 2019.

Wall Cos. has also sold a piece of its land for a rock climbing gym that hasn’t begun construction. Still, even after the apartments and food hall are built, there will still roughly 14 acres left for future development.

Wall said he has no specific plans yet for those acres. He originally hoped to build a research park on the site. While plans have changed, he still hopes the project can attract jobs and perhaps University of Minnesota-related science applications.

Silophant

Re: Malcolm Yards Phase One (food hall, apartment buildings, grocery store)

Postby Silophant » August 10th, 2018, 4:39 pm

This'll be big - it's worth its own topic.

Has anyone heard anything about what grocery it would be? 33k square feet is kind of a weird size - too big for an Aldi or Trader Joe's (not that another Trader Joe's would happen in Minneapolis, as they would have to sacrifice the liquor store) but too small for a Cub or Hy-Vee. Even the urban Cub at 46th and Hiawatha is going to be 50k square feet. A Lunds & Byerly's maybe? playing around with Google Maps, the CenHen L&B is about 30-35k square feet, including the pharmacy.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 10th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Are they still talking about moving the transitway?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » August 11th, 2018, 9:44 am

This'll be big - it's worth its own topic.

Has anyone heard anything about what grocery it would be? 33k square feet is kind of a weird size - too big for an Aldi or Trader Joe's (not that another Trader Joe's would happen in Minneapolis, as they would have to sacrifice the liquor store) but too small for a Cub or Hy-Vee. Even the urban Cub at 46th and Hiawatha is going to be 50k square feet. A Lunds & Byerly's maybe? playing around with Google Maps, the CenHen L&B is about 30-35k square feet, including the pharmacy.
Clearly a specialty grocery. An Asian grocery was the rumor that was shared with me on Twitter.

Love most of this project, with the exception of the parking. The underground parking seems excessive for a location that is so well connected, and the surface parking lot on 30th Ave SE seems especially unnecessary. The surface lot for Fresh Thyme is already annoying enough, I'm not thrilled about the idea of so much more parking and yet another surface lot in this neighborhood.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 13th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Not sure I really get a food hall over there, when the walk and bike sheds to the north are always going to be limited.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 13th, 2018, 12:22 pm

It's obviously a little different, but that hasn't exactly stopped Surly from being a smashing success in this area. There are still 1-2 hour waits on weekends to get a table.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 13th, 2018, 1:31 pm

It bugs me that they're not going to put a roof back on the food hall. It's one thing for the Mill City Museum to occupy a burned out ruin, but here it would be worlds better to restore the old roofline and have the foodhall in an airy, vaulted space.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » August 13th, 2018, 1:32 pm

I'm sure that cost is a major factor. Personally, I love the idea of it being open air.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 13th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Well, it's going to have a roof, obviously.

From the renderings, it appears that they'll be installing a new roof at what would have been the floor line between the first and second floors of the space?

I just think it looks very awkward and would have been better with the original roofline.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » August 13th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Oh. Probably just cost savings, then. I agree 100%.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 22nd, 2019, 4:26 pm

Looks like some preliminary site prep is starting at the old Harris Machinery building.

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » November 2nd, 2019, 1:48 pm

Food hall renovation looks to be well underway. Lots of equipment on-site looks to be stabilizing the exterior.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » May 17th, 2020, 8:48 pm

A couple of new banners have shown up at Malcolm Yards pushing their website: https://malcolmyards.market/

They seem to have taken the brick walls down quite a ways. If I didn't know the intentions behind the project, I would think that the building's shell was doomed.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 19th, 2020, 9:03 am

The walls were brought down to roughly the point they're currently at a number of months ago. Guessing some of the material at the top damaged by fire was just too far gone to safely leave in place.

In other area news, the distillery next to Surly has been under construction for a few weeks now.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » October 1st, 2020, 6:54 am

This is back before the Planning Commission: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... 29th%20Ave

The grocery store is gone, as they weren't able to close a deal with whomever they were working with. There is a little bit more height and 63 more units of housing in this revised proposal.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 1st, 2020, 1:34 pm

The 1 story cinderblock Harris Canvas building on site came down last week.

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » February 4th, 2021, 9:22 am

According to this article the food hall at Malcolm Yards is due to open this spring: https://twincities.eater.com/2021/2/1/2 ... OGqtz3Jga0

I believe the distillery over there is also planning to open this year. It looked like construction of it was pretty far along a few weeks ago when I went by there. Once the Surly beerhall reopens this area could get pretty busy.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 17th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Planned opening in May now, with several tenants now announced. Hopefully a reopening of Surly comes soon after. I saw they have concerts scheduled for the field there in August.

http://strib.mn/3qVfSnZ

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » March 17th, 2021, 3:40 pm

And the new O'Shaughnessy Distillery is due to open near Surly within the next couple of months. It's a good things there's an LRT station nearby!