Peregrine (Broadway Pizza site) - 2025 West River Rd

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Peregrine (Broadway Pizza site) - 2025 West River Rd

Postby SurlyLHT » February 6th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Oh wow...Broadway Pizza going away. In North News the owner said the building needed work. I grew up going here over the years. He wanted to leave a legacy.

"The proposed redevelopment will be a new six- and seven-story building with one level of underground parking. The project will consist of approximately 160 affordable apartments for families in a combination of 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, and 3-bedroom units. Amenities will include a club room, fitness center, co-working space, bike lounge, and a large outdoor courtyard. An “angled-L” configuration orients the structure as close as practical to the street edge, placing active uses near the public right away along the curvilinear boundary. A full level of grade change occurs from Broadway Ave at the low side to the northern edge of the site, allowing for a two-story lobby base at the corner with
structured parking tucked into the hill. Exterior materials will include brick, glass, Nichiha panels, and fiber cement panels."

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... r%20Rd.pdf

NickP
Target Field

Re: Northside - General Topics

Postby NickP » February 6th, 2020, 9:28 pm

I’m not really feeling the huge parking lot behind the building. That being said, I do appreciate that it is behind the building at least, and adjacent to railroad tracks.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 6th, 2020, 9:51 pm

I do approve of the building pressing up against the street faces instead of the, what, 100' setback the Broadway Pizza building has? Too bad about the surface parking, but I guess it's the easiest kind of parking to repurpose when the area gets better transit in the future.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 7th, 2020, 8:47 am

I really love the frontage toward the river. I wonder if the Park Board will ever redevelop their parcel?

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Re: Broadway Station Redevelopment - 2025 West River Rd

Postby CalMcKenney » February 10th, 2020, 9:33 am

Any retail space?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 10th, 2020, 11:26 am

Any retail space?
The plans do no include any retail or restaurant space.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » February 11th, 2020, 9:28 am

Okay I'm relatively new to the whole city-planning thing as I'm 23 and just found out about this stuff as a hobby, but what the heck are we thinking? Why would not every development along the river include some space for a restaurant, brewery, bar, winery, distillery with patio space so people could sit outside and enjoy the river. This has been so far my biggest pet peeve with Minneapolis. Every great city in the world I've visited with a water feature activates it as much as possible with bars and restaurants with outdoor patios. We have one of the greatest rivers in the world, and yet we continue to close it off to residents only, no real space for visitors to relax and enjoy it. Alright sorry for the rant, but maybe somebody can answer this.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 11th, 2020, 10:23 am

Okay I'm relatively new to the whole city-planning thing as I'm 23 and just found out about this stuff as a hobby, but what the heck are we thinking? Why would not every development along the river include some space for a restaurant, brewery, bar, winery, distillery with patio space so people could sit outside and enjoy the river. This has been so far my biggest pet peeve with Minneapolis. Every great city in the world I've visited with a water feature activates it as much as possible with bars and restaurants with outdoor patios. We have one of the greatest rivers in the world, and yet we continue to close it off to residents only, no real space for visitors to relax and enjoy it. Alright sorry for the rant, but maybe somebody can answer this.
I think it comes down to dollars and cents. While many of us might agree with you on that sentiment, the developer is looking to maximize their investment. Adding retail may reduce the ability to get financing, or they've done enough market research to know that this location doesn't best suite walk-up retail. Just because it's along the river doesn't mean anything if there's nothing in the walk-shed area. This area of Broadway is still pretty industrial and car-centric.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 11th, 2020, 10:45 am

Do you think a pizza joint could make it in this location?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 11th, 2020, 11:27 am

Do you think a pizza joint could make it in this location?
Nope, the article mentions that the owner plans to look in the area, but this building will be apartments only. They are not looking to have any commercial or retail space in the new build.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 11th, 2020, 11:30 am

He should be able to find a location nearby, N 5th Street south of 10th Ave N might be good with all of the breweries over there.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 11th, 2020, 11:34 am

I agree, why not at least a small pizza place with outdoor seating? The River Rats are nearby during the summer and there are employers nearby and the Minneapolis Bouldering Project and Pyres brewery.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 11th, 2020, 11:57 am

You have residences north of Broadway, you will have the development at Broadway Station, and you have the new Opus Condo's at Plymouth; you would think a small restaurant could make it along the parkway between Broadway and Plymouth. Prye's is usually busy in the evening, I could see some crossover traffic.

drgrant
Block E

Postby drgrant » February 11th, 2020, 1:41 pm

I agree, why not at least a small pizza place with outdoor seating? The River Rats are nearby during the summer and there are employers nearby and the Minneapolis Bouldering Project and Pyres brewery.
Pryes already serves pizza. Also, restaurant space is particularly expensive to fit. It needs a lot of plumbing and safety equipment.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm

The reasons why they aren't planning commercial space are many, but of course all boils down to financing and demand. Financing commercial space in subsidized/affordable projects is notoriously difficult. It's complicated, slows down the process, might require separate ownership of the commercial, etc. You're just not going to see a lot of spec commercial space in affordable projects, except in places where the city absolutely requires it and would deny a project without it. Without an operator on board, developers are not keen on providing a lot of spec commercial space that might sit vacant for a long time. If Broadway had interest in re-opening here, they would be doing so. If not Broadway, who is the restaurateur that's going to pony up several hundred thousand$ to build out a new commercial kitchen/bar? Why would they open here instead of in a cheaper/existing space nearby? At the great expense of building new, then why not open in the North Loop or NE where there's much more disposable income?

All that said, this site is actually designated Mixed Use in the 2040 Comp Plan. The City probably can mandate commercial space in this project. But they cannot require it to be a restaurant or anything particularly "active". It could just as easily wind up being a dentist/insurance/architecture office with few employees and weekday 9-5 hours with the curtains drawn all the time.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 21st, 2021, 8:17 pm

This received $384k of Met Council cleanup grant, so it looks like it's slowly moving along.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 26th, 2021, 8:54 am

You're just not going to see a lot of spec commercial space in affordable projects, except in places where the city absolutely requires it and would deny a project without it.
Same thing with the RS Eden Amber Apartments at Hiawatha and 45th. Alas, on-street parking on Hiawatha and a crosswalk to the LRT station at 45th would have made it more viable. But what else could be done to encourage more storefronts?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 26th, 2021, 10:26 am

Stop buying stuff on Amazon?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 26th, 2021, 12:18 pm

Check ✅
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » November 15th, 2021, 11:59 pm

I read the landmark caboose at Broadway Pizza will be relocated to a museum in east-central Minnesota.