Future of Graco campus - St. Anthony West

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Re: Future of Graco campus - St. Anthony West

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » June 18th, 2021, 7:16 am

Perhaps Tokyo, Seoul, or Singapore could provide some insights into how manufacturing is done in dense urban areas.
I recall reading that Tokyo's zoning model (and maybe Japanese practice as a whole?) was to assign intensity levels to each kind of use, then zone areas for a maximum intensity level - with all lesser-level uses permitted as of right. Under this model, there would be no obstacle to, say, multi-family residential near a manufacturing plant. The idea basically seems to be that if the lower-intensity use, (theoretically) more likely to object than vice-versa, decides it isn't bothered... then why get in their way?

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » June 18th, 2021, 8:50 am

Perhaps Tokyo, Seoul, or Singapore could provide some insights into how manufacturing is done in dense urban areas.
I recall reading that Tokyo's zoning model (and maybe Japanese practice as a whole?) was to assign intensity levels to each kind of use, then zone areas for a maximum intensity level - with all lesser-level uses permitted as of right. Under this model, there would be no obstacle to, say, multi-family residential near a manufacturing plant. The idea basically seems to be that if the lower-intensity use, (theoretically) more likely to object than vice-versa, decides it isn't bothered... then why get in their way?
Japan's national zoning laws are what urbanist dreams are made of.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » June 18th, 2021, 10:38 am

In Tokyo the industrial parks are probably served by high speed trains. Here, ownership of a dependable late model vehicle (preferably an SUV for winter driving) is the price of admission to access the economic opportunities out on the exurban fringe.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » June 18th, 2021, 1:14 pm

In Tokyo the industrial parks are probably served by high speed trains. Here, ownership of a dependable late model vehicle (preferably an SUV for winter driving) is the price of admission to access the economic opportunities out on the exurban fringe.
Metro networks, yes (to an extent). HSR, no. HSR is exclusively intercity travel. Freight is on a completely separate network from HSR.

I've commuted in my 01 Jetta with two wheel drive my entire working life (suburban and exurban offices). In recent years, I've had the luxury of working from home when road conditions are bad, but earlier in my career I did not. A $40k-50k late model SUV is certainly not the cost of admission.