The Knoll - (1101 University Avenue Southeast)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: The Knoll - (1101 University Avenue Southeast)

Postby David Greene » August 26th, 2013, 11:50 am

It is funny, I also liked this better without the cladding... I definitely like the colors, it just got a little... busy. hmm...
Ever been to Lunenburg, NS? Bright, garish colors can be quite nice.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 26th, 2013, 12:30 pm

I like this building quite a lot given its place - as a six story building by the U it could totally disappear but the design is interesting. I wouldn't want this to become a trend, but as a one-off i appreciate its unique character.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 26th, 2013, 12:40 pm

I really like the colors and busyness of the exterior. It's lively and doesn't take itself too seriously—perfect for college students.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 26th, 2013, 12:42 pm

It's a pretty nice looking building in person, but the term "infill" is kind of off in this case. This is the only space in the area that is "filled" in this way.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 26th, 2013, 12:56 pm

It is funny, I also liked this better without the cladding... I definitely like the colors, it just got a little... busy. hmm...
A quick google image search shows that they have bright simple use of colors, maybe one type of material 2-3 colors per building. This one building has 4 different types of materials, and 5 different colors. There is a big difference between a building like this and Lunenburg, or Cinqe Terre in IT, or Tórshavn in the Faroe Islands, or Gamla stan in Stockholm. In order for bold color to be effective it needs to be complimented by simplicity, it's basic Color and Design 101. If everything is important, then nothing is important.

I'm not saying that this building is terrible, I just think it would have been a bit more timeless if the Orange was given a little more dominance, (choose either grey or beige as the neutral) to be fun and drastic, be cool in a university area and all.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 26th, 2013, 1:18 pm

A quick google image search shows that they have bright simple use of colors, maybe one type of material 2-3 colors per building. This one building has 4 different types of materials, and 5 different colors.
This "one building" is the equivalent of 4-5 buildings in Lunenburg. I'm no fan of making big buildings looks like lots of smaller building just for the sake of doing so but I don't think variety in color to break things up a bit is a bad thing.

I didn't really mean to make a direct comparison between this project and Lunenburg. I was simply pointing out that bright and garish can be great. Whether this project is as effective in using color is up for debate. I like it. It's not as good a Lunenburg, which has organically developed buildings, but overall I think its use of color is positive.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 26th, 2013, 2:09 pm

To be clear, this building is Garish, Jersey Couture is garish, Las Vegas is Garish, Lunenburg isn't Garish.

I love the orange, I just wish they would have used more of it, or gotten rid of one of the neutrals so the orange did the talking, rather than letting the white noise doing the talking. Not a huge deal, just bums me out when I was expecting it to be a pretty handsome structure with that cool detail, but it gets a little lost in all the bustle.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » March 17th, 2014, 10:49 am