The Bridges - (950 University Avenue SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: The Bridges - (950 University Avenue SE)

Postby Nathan » January 4th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Yeah, she's a bit of a behemoth, but still better than the two building renderings that were around earlier. It will have eternal good views so they better make it good!

Also it doesn't seem like they are targeting students? (or at least sardine style students) There are only a handful of 3 bedrooms...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 4th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Regarding complaints about the look of the building, this is where I think neighborhood groups could do some real good, rather than endlessly complaining about height and parking. Neighborhood groups could be much better negotiators and say something like "look, we won't raise a stink about parking if you agree to use less cementitious panels and more active uses on the street level, etc"

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 5th, 2013, 9:06 am

Regarding complaints about the look of the building, this is where I think neighborhood groups could do some real good, rather than endlessly complaining about height and parking. Neighborhood groups could be much better negotiators and say something like "look, we won't raise a stink about parking if you agree to use less cementitious panels and more active uses on the street level, etc"
Totally! Although the street level of this should have retail (edit* apparently it's just 'community space')and looks very nice and glassy! And it's mostly brick, the way it looks, maybe they could argue for some more architectural art on the Riverfront and Uni side. Those little iconic details could make it a great neighborhood gateway.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 5th, 2013, 5:59 pm

I like this quite a bit actually, and am not quite sure why everyone is so meloncholy about the design. It's not supposed to be a high-profile apartment building for the super elite. I'm excited SOMEBODY decided to build something different than 6 story stick, especially given its prominent location along a busy thoroughfare!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 5th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Serious question, what kind of retail should there be in a location like this? You've got Dinkytown 2 blocks away with all manner of restaurants. Across 35 there's a grocery/deli. I remember once when I lived in 1301 University for the summer and had a cold, I wandered over to the gas station where FloCo is now to get some orange juice, and there wasn't much to choose from. With CVS in the neighborhood now that need is met. There are some nice niche businesses in Dinktyown itself, but none of those places could afford the rent of a new building.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 5th, 2013, 10:44 pm

in this building? Probably none. It's in a great location in terms of visibility but not for retail (I wouldn't think).

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 7th, 2013, 11:34 am

I think a coffee shop/cafe could easily do well when you consider adding a few hundred students/residents to the area. Maybe one of the fast food places (arby's needs to re-locate), pizza places, maybe a salon, i mean it's not that hard to assume it could support something. Especially if it serves beer or coffee lol. High density buildings are why mixed use works, you start having enough people living in an area that you can have pocket retail like this. We're just not used to that in Mpls yet.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » January 7th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Marcy-Holmes neighborhood had more than 10,000 residents in the 2010 census, which probably undercounted it due to the number of seasonal residents, and since has added hundreds of units. It's sandwiched between two major employment centers with a cumulative 200,000 jobs. I think they could probably fill a retail strip that stretched the length of University between Dinkytown and Old St Anthony, but at the least this would be a logical place for retail due to visibility and location at the intersection of several major roads. Doran probably just doesn't want to mess with parking.
"Who rescued whom!"

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 8th, 2013, 9:42 am

This seems somewhat relevant to the discussion:
http://keephoustonhouston.wordpress.com/

If retail rents in the area are high enough then maybe some retail will be built, otherwise not.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » January 15th, 2013, 9:47 am

I think this project needs something other that a retaining wall and a set of windows addressing 2nd Street SE. There's huge potential there, if/when East River Road is finally connected through to Main Street.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » January 15th, 2013, 1:36 pm

I think this project needs something other that a retaining wall and a set of windows addressing 2nd Street SE. There's huge potential there, if/when East River Road is finally connected through to Main Street.
I disagree. I dont think you would see a single person venture below the 19th and 35 bridge to get to that area.

Even IF East River Road does get connected, I think 35 is just too much of a wall for pedestrians.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » January 15th, 2013, 2:34 pm

With the number of users of Main Street and the Stone Arch Bridge, and the number of users of East River Road, I can't help but think that connecting the two would be a major bonus to both segments. Especially if facilitated by decent exposure/access by adjacent development (unlike this design), and the possible connections of the #9 bridge and a "Greenway" conversion of the Dinkeytown trench.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 16th, 2013, 7:42 am

That's an interesting idea. If there was some way to connect to the East River Road then you'd have direct right of way to the Stone Arch Bridge and the network of trails in the area, which is definitely an amenity.

As someone who occasionally runs along that stretch of the river road, it would probably be a lot more active if the connection at the U was better. Right now you have to run down some hill and around the train tracks for a block or two. I'm fairly certain a lot of U of M student-joggers still go over in that direction, though.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 15th, 2013, 5:46 pm

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 15th, 2013, 8:20 pm

When was this in Arby's? That must have been a while ago.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 15th, 2013, 10:09 pm

There was a gas station/ carwash on the corner, with a Hardee's restaurant behind. Never an Arby's.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » February 15th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Picture
thebridges.jpeg

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 16th, 2013, 1:18 am

With the way the freeway dips there, this thing will look much taller than it's 11 stories.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » February 16th, 2013, 11:28 am

When was this in Arby's? That must have been a while ago.
I believe they are talking about the one closing in stadium village

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 16th, 2013, 12:27 pm

It looks considerably better now that they have cleaned up the top few floors and added some detail and balconies to the glassy parts of the exterior.