The Bridges - (950 University Avenue SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: The Bridges - (950 University Avenue SE)

Postby Wedgeguy » January 29th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Did not realize how massive that building was going to turn out. Much bigger than I had perceived. Sure hope there is a mix of exterior surfaces to break up its mass or this with be a hulking mass. I'm also glad to see it. Nothing like leaving an exit and find yourself in what looks like a no man's land. Was not a good impression for a gate way. This says you will basically find density, which is now becoming true.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on January 30th, 2014, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 30th, 2014, 9:04 am

I am cool with such a hulking building at this site. Its next to an eight-lane freeway.
Last edited by mplsjaromir on January 30th, 2014, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » January 30th, 2014, 9:13 am

I learned that my former boss' daughter will be moving into this building next year (her second at the U). They've already signed their lease. I don't have anything profound to add; just thought I'd note the connection :)
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » January 30th, 2014, 1:20 pm

This thing is crazy-hulking. However, if ever there was a piece of land purpose-made for a crazy-hulking building, this is it. Normally I'd say the massing is ridiculous, but on this plot it's great. I only hope demand stays high enough for it to keep low vacancy at relatively high rents because if maintenance starts to lag it will become an eyesore. But since it's essentially a noise wall for the freeway, sitting on riverfront property, it should be a win-win-win for those who live nearby, those who live in it, and those who like density. It's certainly not harming the "character" of any area.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 30th, 2014, 3:19 pm

I agree. I think this looks better in person than in the pictures as well.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 3rd, 2014, 10:12 am

Phase II: air rights over 35W to create a continuous blockface along Washington? We can dream, right?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 3rd, 2014, 10:32 am

Phase II: air rights over 35W to create a continuous blockface along Washington? We can dream, right?
That would be cool.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 3rd, 2014, 11:47 am

I think creating a continuous deck from south of University to north of 4th St and giving air rights for dev would be pretty successful, especially if a streetcar came through.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 3rd, 2014, 11:53 am

I actually like the view corridor to downtown that the 35W air rights creates, so I'd rather not see this get developed. Fine to increase the density on either side, though, and there are certainly a number of things that could be done to make these bridges easier to cross for pedestrians, etc.

(I believe that these bridges must be coming up fairly soon for full reconstruction, as their future was an issue when the new 35W river bridge was being designed -- they're not the typical concrete or steel girder bridges, but rather a 2-way concrete slab, presumably to reduce clearance.)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 3rd, 2014, 1:28 pm

The view from a windshield or as a pedestrian? It is a nice view, but an atrocious location for someone to stand and enjoy that view. Considering that it's a few blocks to walk to the riverfront and enjoy an even better view, I'm not sure how that's a big deal. I'm just trying to see if I'm understanding what you'd like to keep with it.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 3rd, 2014, 2:24 pm

Pedestrians, bicyclists, residents in current and future buildings, and drivers.

In an increasingly dense environment, I think we shouldn't underestimate the value of the occasional long view something like this affords, and the surprising sense of openness as you emerge from the urban fabric. I'm not opposed to redevelopment of air rights over freeways in general (although I'm skeptical of their financial feasibility), but this is something of a special case because of its adjacency to the river and downtown.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 3rd, 2014, 3:25 pm

Which view are you guys talking about? There isn't much of a skyline view from 35W & University. 35W is pointing more towards Riverside Plaza there and I don't think there's a skyline view from the freeway till you get past Metal Matic.

Washington has a decent skyline view from the 35W overpass but won't that mostly be blocked by the tall new stadium?
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 3rd, 2014, 3:55 pm

Agreed that you don't get a pristine skyline view or anything. It's more the opening up to the space of the river valley. You do get Cedar Riverside, which is nice if you're into that kind of thing. Which I am.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 3rd, 2014, 4:26 pm

Google Street View isn't always 100% accurate, but this is what you see at 35W/University: http://goo.gl/maps/LN7XK

I agree that the occasional long-view of downtown or natural amenities is great. The U master plan includes a lot of these vistas as places not to build. Dinkytown has a clear shot at 4th Ave/15th St down the rail trench, and from the Mall area (the silver bridges), the view is spectacular. Not to mention if you head just south of this new building on 10th Ave, you get a much better shot of downtown/35W bridge, the river, and the U itself than anything you'll see from University/35W. If these 2 bridges are slated for re-construction, seems like a natural opportunity to at least explore some air rights development (Levinson's class has done some feasibility work, wonder if he can shed more detailed light..). Of course, all the apartments that recently went up may have tapped the market..

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 3rd, 2014, 5:39 pm

I would imagine that the upper floors closest to the river will have a pretty good view of the city.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » February 3rd, 2014, 5:46 pm

I think the best skyline view in the U area is standing at 4th & 15th, and looking along the Dinkytown trench. It also has the added benefit of being a pedestrian-friendly area.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » February 13th, 2014, 12:08 pm

drove by yesterday. Starting to look pretty glassy now, the windows on the corners seem to make a big difference

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » February 17th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » March 17th, 2014, 10:41 am

I went to the U with my cousin today and took some pictures of this. (sorry due to the quality as I was taking these from the passenger seat while he was driving)

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » March 17th, 2014, 8:45 pm

This building is a mammoth.