The Bridges - (950 University Avenue SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Re: The Bridges - (950 University Avenue SE)

Postby Suburban Outcast » July 3rd, 2014, 3:58 pm

I've been traveling on 35W to the West Bank the past couple of days, and while The Bridges isn't too pretty - it's still better than other hulking buildings like Stadium View Apartments. I think they could have made it look less massive if they had split it into two towers, but overall it's more plain than ugly to me. It's like Stonebridge or Nic on 5th, they are pretty plain but I think they are good enough with doing what they were built for - more residents in that area.

But to each their own.

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » July 3rd, 2014, 4:29 pm

There was a gas station on each corner. My grandfather owned both.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/38337415@N07/4554122224/

Architorture
Metrodome

Postby Architorture » July 14th, 2014, 8:36 am

I agree the Bridges is a hulking mass. The material changes on the same plane is what bothers me the most. Effort was made to break up the massing but I think it didn't quite come together. I think the massing at Flo Co is funky an interesting. The exterior metal has not aged well, it was probably VE'ed to the cheapest thickness possible. The beige vinyl windows bother me as well. If they were silver ro match the balconies the buidling would come together much stronger. I have a hard time imagining the designer choosing beige vinyl, another likely VE item.